Before & After ✨ - Page 10
Like Tree1567Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 10 of 76 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 60 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    That will not turn out well, comrade Ivan. My information and experience with dials from that time is that the printing was done on top of the lacquer.
    Thanks for the warning, schnurrp! If that's really the case then it's bad news for comrade audiomagnate and his dial. Now the cleaning operation sounds like a spine surgery. Done by a blind alcoholic in abstinence.
    I guess the solution is somewhere in the world of chemistry. Sometimes I regret skipping those classes.
    Ivan
    schnurrp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    "Done by a blind alcoholic in abstinence."
    That should work out well. But seriously folks, why on earth would they print OVER the lacquer? That makes no sense at all.

I guess it's a matter of sequence of the manufacturing process. First they get the dial templates and then they can print whatever they want on them, if there's a transitional branding process going on. I'm just trying to find some logic in this, but anything is possible in the soviet watch industry.
    I guess they never thought of us trying to restore those dials 60 years later. Very inconsiderate of them :)
    Ivan

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    That should work out well. But seriously folks, why on earth would they print OVER the lacquer? That makes no sense at all.
    I think it's because you'd want any branding/logos/graphics to appear on the surface of the dial, not beneath it. Just a guess.

I never took "before" pictures, so this is only "after". Not perfect restoration, but tried to keep it as authentic as possible. Not sure if this model is both in gold-plated and chromed version, will have to dig deeper in the catalogues.
    Ivan

Name:  31.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  3.88 MB
    schnurrp and Sansoni7 like this.

I was told by comrade Seele that the lacquer provided the best surface for printing. Makes sense as it would fill and smooth and seal the surface of the dial.

[QUOTE=schnurrp;46262687]
    Why are we acting like this was ancient Egypt. I worked at a legendary HiFi company in the early 90s (Nakamichi) and have filled in the holes.
    [/QUOT

I was told by comrade Seele that the lacquer provided the best surface for printing. Makes sense as it would fill and smooth and seal the surface of the dial.

There it is, the result of the Vympel dial experiment. No laquer layer left on it, but the print survived. To be honest I didn't push it too much, because at some point I felt it beginning to fade. The hour markers could not be cleaned well as there were rust spots, but some sparkle was still restored.
    So, it's nothing spectacular, but still a valuable practical lesson.
    Ivan

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  241.1 KB
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 252
Size:  3.16 MB
    Name:  3.JPG
Views: 258
Size:  3.12 MB
    Name:  4.JPG
Size:  3.09 MB
    Name:  5.JPG
Views: 255
Size:  2.68 MB

Good job sir!!
    Kamburov likes this.
    And the collection, (Ok She's right- that's a lot of watches. *put eye-roll here*)
    -1971 Timex Marlin, green dial (reborn!), 1970's Timex Auto, 1974 Hamilton Accumatic ORANGE DIAL!
    -Dad's 1953 Bulova President, 1963 gold Accutron, and Grandpa's 1970 Caravelle machinist's watch

--E-One Bradley, --Evant Tropic Diver, bronze & green, --Urban Chronograph, —Seiko SNK's green & red,—Seiko Alpinist, —Bertucci A-2T (white), —Certina C-Sport Chrono, orange , —Timex 2002 Reefgear, —Omega Dynamic III (circa 2001), —Hamilton Pan Europe, blue, -- Monta Triumph, green dial.

-1972 Hamilton Pan Europe, -1971 Accutron 219,—Seiko H557 square digital-analog (mine, new in 1984),
    -80's Seiko 6F22 Moonphase, - -70's Timex Electric, —Vostok Signal watch (w/ alarm), -80's Komandirskie (Type 33) -1990 Komandirskie (Type 34) (4 of same!), -Victorinox 1980, —HMT Janata, -1912 Concord Travel Clock/watch (w/engraved dial)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    There it is, the result of the Vympel dial experiment.
    Wow! You are braver than I am. What was your technique?

Name:  collage.jpg
Size:  4.33 MB

Page 10 of 76 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 60 ... LastLast

Thread Information