Before & After ✨ - Page 11
Like Tree1567Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 11 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 61 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

Fantastic!!!! Excellent work.

Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    Wow! You are braver than I am. What was your technique?

Attachment 13223157
    Thanks, Dashiell! Just now that you put them side by side I realised how big the difference is :)
    It's easy being brave on a $6 movement/stem/crown/dial. Oh, and one hour hand. Simply nothing to loose. I used my favourite phosphoric acid stuff on the printing (just tapping on it, almost no swiping), and some more aggressive stuff for the rest of it. With a lot of attention and care. The truth is that the print was just tough enough to take this much, and wouldn't take any more. There's a light yellowish hue on the logo area (the after pic) showing the moment that I had to stop. I could risk pushing on, but by that time the result was too good to just mess the whole thing. And I wouldn't make it as new anyway, so there was no point overdoing it.
    I bought this only for this experiment, with no intention of putting a watch together, but if a beat up lonely old case shows up (highly unlikely), I may try it out.
    Ivan
    mroatman and Kanelbulle like this.

No great restoration here, but some improvement thanks to two Monsters helping each other

Before
    Name:  5a61e74be6e6d293c0400100.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  80.8 KBName:  dafbb0a8-209c-4ffc-97ad-b63174abc034.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  62.1 KB

After
    Name:  DSC08753web.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  217.9 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

haha, that wristshot is fabulous! It's high time I get myself one of those slavas.
    Ivan
    haha likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by haha View Post
    No great restoration here, but some improvement thanks to two Monsters helping each other

The final result looks good. Well done! Many of the large Slavas can look a little tired but look good when they are cleaned and polished up.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    There it is, the result of the Vympel dial experiment. No laquer layer left on it, but the print survived. To be honest I didn't push it too much, because at some point I felt it beginning to fade. The hour markers could not be cleaned well as there were rust spots, but some sparkle was still restored.
    So, it's nothing spectacular, but still a valuable practical lesson.
    Ivan

Attachment 13220837
    I can see by this photo that this Vympel has the same paint as early Pobedas which is quite tough. However, it is possible to wear through it if you try too hard. I think you got it right on this example with just enough cleaning. It would be good to see a completed watch when you find a case for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekondtime View Post
    I can see by this photo that this Vympel has the same paint as early Pobedas which is quite tough. However, it is possible to wear through it if you try too hard. I think you got it right on this example with just enough cleaning. It would be good to see a completed watch when you find a case for it.
    Thanks, comrade! Well spotted, similarities extend to the silver paint models (as I will show on my next post). Exactly the same feel as the early pobedas. Very tough paint, and I didn't go gently about it. It's all about the print, and this simplistic design doesn't have much printing, at least no tiny minute markers. These are hell to clean arround on other watches.

Vimpel special for comrade audiomagnate!
    Kevin, this is for you! I received it this evening and couldn't wait.
    This Vimpel is a different siverish white paint dial. It responded the same way as the previous one. The corrosion spots could't be removed, but I think less visible after the clean.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  220.9 KB
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 284
Size:  2.57 MB
    Name:  3.JPG
Views: 282
Size:  2.51 MB

I also had a spare hour hand from my experimental vimpel
    Name:  4.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  2.59 MB

I didn't have a minute hand, so I used a Volna hand. Had to put a micro drop of glue, but if you find an original hands set, it will be an easy replacement. These a bit rusty but I just wanted to see how the complete watch will look.
    Name:  5.JPG
Views: 281
Size:  2.58 MB
    Name:  6.JPG
Views: 279
Size:  3.48 MB
    Name:  7.JPG
Views: 276
Size:  2.73 MB

Looks even better in person, but I'm just happy I didn't mess it up.
    Ivan
    Last edited by Kamburov; June 15th, 2018 at 23:31.
    Kanelbulle, kev80e and maped like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    Vimpel special for comrade audiomagnate!
    Kevin, this is for you! I received it this evening and couldn't wait.
    This Vimpel is a different siverish white paint dial. It responded the same way as the previous one. The corrosion spots could't be removed, but I think less visible after the clean.

I also had a spare hour hand from my experimental vimpel

I didn't have a minute hand, so I used a Volna hand. Had to put a micro drop of glue, but if you find an original hands set, it will be an easy replacement. These a bit rusty but I just wanted to see how the complete watch will look.

Looks even better in person, but I'm just happy I didn't mess it up.
    Ivan
    Ivan...as we say in certain parts of the US, YOU DA MAN!!!! Seriously, I don't know what to say. I saw them earlier today on my phone I was grinning and LOLing in public so bad kids and their parents were thinking I was crazy, but seeing them on my computer screen they're so beautiful I'm overwhelmed. USPS says they're in Jamaica NY BTW! Thank you SO much, they're gorgeous.
    Last edited by audiomagnate; June 16th, 2018 at 02:26.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I don't know what to say. I saw them earlier today on my phone and was grinning and LOLing in public so bad kids were thinking I was crazy, but seeing them on my computer screen they're so beautiful I'm almost ready to cry. I'm overwhelmed. USPS says they're in Jamaica NY BTW!
    Kev, your watches are safe and happily ticking :) I guess you noticed a little change in the vostok too.
    They are indeed beautiful watches, can I keep them? :) Just joking, I'll fly them back home next week.
    The USPS probably tracked them to the last US post office, which is strange, most postal services track the packages to the point of receiving.
    I'm very happy I didn't make things worse, as I never experimented on a watch that is not mine.
    Ivan

Page 11 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 61 ... LastLast

Thread Information