Before & After ✨ - Page 13
Like Tree1567Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 13 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 63 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

I knew it. You're the one creating ALL these franken on sale on ebay !! You're the one reducing the number of soviet watches available by mixing several pieces together ! Shame on you !

Well, and congrats on another great restoration
    Kamburov and audiomagnate like this.

Quote Originally Posted by skipvel View Post
    Has anyone used an ultrasonic cleaner to clean old stained watch faces? (I mean successfully) Is the printing universally fragile? The reason for asking is that with a bunch of old dirty faces in my sock drawer I don't think I have the patience to be daubing them all in any kind of precise way. Thanks.
    I used an ultrasonic cleaner to rip dried stubborn ink from used tattoo tubes prior to them being put in the autoclave back when I used to tattoo. I don't personally think a printed dial would survive but maybe it depends on how much powder you put into the cleaner also

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post

I'm not sure about the colour of the seconds hand, but golden was all I got.
    Ivan
    The seller says this one is "completely original" and it has a gold second. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kirovskie-1...kAAOSw~gxZr4L6
    Great work as usual Ivan.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by haha View Post
    I knew it. You're the one creating ALL these franken on sale on ebay !! You're the one reducing the number of soviet watches available by mixing several pieces together ! Shame on you !

Well, and congrats on another great restoration
    Thanks!
    Shhh, keep it quiet bussiness is good
    This is my second watch I put together. The first one was a Generalskie franken I did for myself some months ago
    Name:  9.JPG
Views: 271
Size:  1.89 MB
    Name:  10.JPG
Views: 257
Size:  514.8 KB

1. Generalskie case
    2. Amphibia case back
    3. Aftermarket besel
    4. Salvaged and repaired 2416B SU
    5. Komandirskie post soviet dial and hands
    6. Added extra lume on dial and hands for practical reasons

And the funny thing is I can defranken it in no time (have an authentic generalskie dial), but I just like it so much like this.
    Ivan
    elsoldemayo and kev80e like this.

I was looking at this non working Poljot alarm being relisted for months.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  144.3 KB

Finally decided to make a B&A on it. It was pretty bad, but turned out alright. Thought of reluming the hands, but finally left them as they were.
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  3.35 MB
    Name:  3.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  2.52 MB

Also a small Pobeda for desert.
    Name:  11.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  223.8 KB
    Name:  12.JPG
Views: 272
Size:  2.23 MB

Well, looking at all the good work being shown in this thread, I thought it was about time I posted a couple of before and after examples.

Now as I have mentioned on many occasions, jewels aren't everything. Ruhla calibre 24s demonstrate that you can have a perfectly good watch without jewels that lasts for decades without a service. However, there are Ruhla calibre 24s with Jewels, the Ruhla 24-42 for example, with 2 jewels and this is my first before and after.

(I must just say, other Ruhla jewelled movements are available! 4, 5, 7, 15 and 17 jewels in fact.)

Ruhla 2 Jewel calibre 24 from 1974.

I had this watch languishing in a box for about 6 years. I had almost forgotten all about it until I went search for a part for another watch I was working on. Then I noticed it again and realised I could do something with it and include it in this thread, hence I took photos. Ruhla 2 jewel movements were not made for very long and are rarer than the movement without jewels.

This is the watch:

Name:  Ruhla 2 Jewel Before (2).JPG
Views: 232
Size:  499.4 KBName:  Ruhla 2 Jewel Before (1).JPG
Views: 228
Size:  846.1 KBName:  Ruhla 2 Jewel Before (3).JPG
Views: 233
Size:  843.7 KB

On inspection the movement was ok and just needed a clean and some fresh oil. I did have to adjust the lower jewel under the hairspring pivot. These are adjustable on a calibre 24 and can help take up any slack caused by moderate amounts of wear.

Notice the artificial jewel (grey colour) in the balance cock with shock protection. A non jewelled version is also shown.

Name:  Kal 24-42 Balance jewel.JPG
Views: 231
Size:  310.0 KBName:  ruhlajumphour2 (2).jpg
Views: 234
Size:  77.8 KB

The dial was too far gone. The watch had obviously had some condensation or water ingress at some point and this had affected the dial considerably. But, luckily I had a spare red 2 jewel dial. I didn't know it at the time, but I had obviously been keeping this for such an occasion. Here are the results.

Name:  Ruhla 2 Jewel Calibre Red Dial  (1).JPG
Views: 242
Size:  2.38 MBName:  Ruhla 2 Jewel Calibre Red Dial  (2).JPG
Views: 248
Size:  1.11 MBName:  Ruhla 2 Jewel Calibre Red Dial  (3).JPG
Views: 243
Size:  1.08 MB

Unusual for a calibre 24 watch is the dust gasket on the back case cover. Most Ruhla calibre 24s do not have a dust gasket.

Name:  Ruhla 2 Jewel Calibre Red Dial  (4).JPG
Views: 246
Size:  1.64 MB

Poljot 2456

The second watch is a Poljot quartz with a 2456 7 jewel movement. There are the three that you can see in the movement photo below and another three at the other end of these pinions plus one further jewel in the stepper motor assembly. The same arrangement is also in the 2460.

Here is the before photo from the seller.

Name:  Poljot before.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  22.4 KB

And after some detail cleaning and the removal and resetting of the crystal, here is the after photo.

Name:  Poljot 2456 Quartz Black Dial Square Case (3).JPG
Size:  552.0 KB

However, this Poljot also has one more attribute. The case back has an engraving which signifies that the owner was presented with the watch in the mid to late 1980s for 25 years service in the Polish coal mining industry. This means the owner would have started his career in the coal mines around 1960.

Name:  Poljot 2456 Quartz Black Dial Square Case (2).JPG
Views: 241
Size:  477.1 KB

Name:  Poljot 2456 Quartz 7 Jewel.JPG
Views: 233
Size:  823.2 KB

Name:  Poljot 2456 Quartz Black Dial Square Case (1).JPG
Size:  659.0 KB

So, there is my contribution for the time being...until I finish some more!

Sekondtime

Here's a before. I'm going to go super gentle on this (first do no harm) and just use a dampened watercolor brush. Wish me luck.
    BTW, I've been on the lookout for a birth year watch for a couple months and when I went to clean this one I discovered I already had one (yeah, I'm old!).
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kamburov and kev80e like this.

Stunning results on the Ruhla and the quartz Poljot! Look like completely different watches. This is so rewarding!
    Kevin, good luck with the Pobeda! This dial looks very promising, and pobedas in general are quite good for cleaning.
    Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    Stunning results on the Ruhla and the quartz Poljot! Look like completely different watches. This is so rewarding!
    Kevin, good luck with the Pobeda! This dial looks very promising, and pobedas in general are quite good for cleaning.
    Ivan
    Thanks. Sometimes they come out better than expected.

Steel cased Poljots are always cool. I already had this model with latin print:
    Name:  1.JPG
Views: 223
Size:  2.94 MB

and the other day won an auction for the same model with the cyrillic print and Poljot logo
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  241.7 KB

It's not perfect and the crystal is not the original one, but that can be fixed in the future. So I worked with what I had, and had to take it apart and put it together twice, as it had problems with the winding/time setting mechanism.
    Name:  4.JPG
Views: 217
Size:  2.50 MB
    Name:  5.JPG
Views: 219
Size:  2.54 MB

The dial and hands cleaned fine, the dots at 1 and 2 somewhat restored.
    Name:  6.JPG
Size:  2.60 MB

Case and crystal did relatively well too
    Name:  7.JPG
Size:  3.82 MB
    Name:  8.JPG
Size:  2.47 MB
    Name:  9.JPG
Views: 215
Size:  2.54 MB

In the end I got this
    Name:  10.JPG
Size:  3.10 MB

There's more to this story. While I was taking the "after" photos, my wife brought in this little guy (or a girl?) that she resqued from the street after a rain storm.
    Name:  11.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  2.33 MB

It was wet and in shock, so she saved it from the cats, and brought it to me on the balcony to dry out. For those who don't know this is a common swift. One of the fastest flyers on the planet, and an unique bird that spends months in continuous flight, eating and sleeping on the go. You just don't see these guys on the ground, these are true fliers. Guess what I named it (not that it cares)
    Ivan

Page 13 of 76 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 63 ... LastLast