Before & After ✨ - Page 15
Like Tree1567Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 15 of 76 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 65 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

Another 24h Raketa. This one costed me good $47 + $10 shipping from Ukraine. It had 3 obvious problems, visible from seller's photos:
    1. Dirty dial
    2. Wrong second hand
    3. DIY replacement crystal
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  220.4 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  195.8 KB

After cleaning and replacing the hand and crystal
    Name:  3.JPG
Views: 255
Size:  2.53 MB
    Name:  4.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  2.39 MB

Not the best deal in my life, but I'm quite happy with the watch I ended up with.
    Ivan

A little disappointing, the dirt on the crown doesn't let me enjoy the incredible work on the dial
    Kamburov likes this.

Hi Kamburov, I also bought one like this--dial in worse shape and wrong replacement glass (can't post photo as I don't have it with me now). While I bought it to swap the mechanism with a non-functioning 24h marine one, I'd like to restore it anyway in the event that maybe one day I'll repair/have repaired the other mechanism. So could you please tell me where I can find an appropriate replacement glass?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by thewatchadude View Post
    Hi Kamburov, I also bought one like this--dial in worse shape and wrong replacement glass (can't post photo as I don't have it with me now). While I bought it to swap the mechanism with a non-functioning 24h marine one, I'd like to restore it anyway in the event that maybe one day I'll repair/have repaired the other mechanism. So could you please tell me where I can find an appropriate replacement glass?
    I used the crystal of another 24h Raketa I'm restoring. The crystal I got it with was a DIY one, hot pressed sheet of plexiglass that was cut and glued to the besel. I swapped them, but I still need one crystal. I hope my local watch service will find one for me, or give an idea where to find one. I was on my way but got caught in a storm, so left it for another day. I have a friend that supplies me with crystals for the big zero cases, so I will check with him aswell. If I find something out, I will PM you.

Haha, well spotted, comrade! I got carried away and totally forgot about the crowns :) How sloppy of me!
    Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    I used the crystal of another 24h Raketa I'm restoring. The crystal I got it with was a DIY one, hot pressed sheet of plexiglass that was cut and glued to the besel. I swapped them, but I still need one crystal. I hope my local watch service will find one for me, or give an idea where to find one. I was on my way but got caught in a storm, so left it for another day. I have a friend that supplies me with crystals for the big zero cases, so I will check with him aswell. If I find something out, I will PM you.

Haha, well spotted, comrade! I got carried away and totally forgot about the crowns :) How sloppy of me!
    Ivan
    Ivan, I'm confused. Are you implying that "greenhouse" you show as the crystal is the authentic one? I don't think so. Second hand should be same color as other hands, no?

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 243
Size:  77.9 KB

Your usual fantastic dial cleaning job. I wish I knew how you did that.

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    Ivan, I'm confused. Are you implying that "greenhouse" you show as the crystal is the authentic one? I don't think so. Second hand should be same color as other hands, no?

Your usual fantastic dial cleaning job. I wish I knew how you did that.
    No, scnurrp, just my ignorance, these are my first 24h. I just got both quite recently and today is the first day I actually took them out to familiarise with them, so I got a bit overexited. Both are ongoing defrankenzation projects. You are right, the second hand should be dark blue as the other hands, so I put a black one untill I find an authentic one (can't be bothered with sloppy repaint jobs).
    I thought the other crystal is authentic, but now (after your post) I realise it's a replacement too. Now I'm looking out for more crystals.
    This is the other one
    Name:  5.JPG
Views: 240
Size:  1.57 MB

I put the DIY crystal on it to keep it closed. It has the (I believe) original black gloss bezel that was badly worn down to the brass, so I just brushed it (it's still the original black underneath). I can't restore this one, a new crystal is all I can do about it.
    The other one, however, is on the way of a quite decent restoration, but as it turns out, couple of things to do before I get there. And after cleaning those crowns :)
    So any input and advice is valuable. So far I haven't found the proper crystals, only replacements that need to be polished down to the original profile. I've been looking for just one day, and I haven't exausted all my connections. We'll see how that goes.
    Hopefully I'll get to that "after" shot soon.
    Ivan

Hey. It is situation from a two years ago, but it was my most succesfull renovation. In the deepest part of big box of watch junk, I found a unique, white Kirovskije "Albino", the prototype and earliest model of 2408 I only know. Seller sold me that for symbolic money, he simply thought it was fake and also destroyed piece. He could think like that - it was looking horrible and "Albino" is highly rare piece. Everything was destroyed, no glass, central dial was absolutely destroyed, ring was teeth-yellow. Movement was dirty, but all wheels were fine. Still - it was a nightmare in agonal condition.

The problem with that watch, was to find original parts, that are hihly rare. As I had wrote in another article, "Albino" has everything different than standard Kirovskije. Also dial and case has different scale inside. So after a year of hunt, I found original white-brown Kirovskie, with legit, smaller dial, and better case. I also cleaned dirt from yellow ring, and it begun to be white/grey, with the same shade as dial. It took me two days, I knew that any mistake will cost me the most unique part - the white ring.

In the end - I had took watch to the best watchmaker in my city, to make it work only on the original parts. Now it is a one of pearls in my collection.

Thank you!
    Lukasz
    Attached Images Attached Images

Excellent job, Lukas! This is the prettiest crab Kirovskie I've seen! I always found them a bit too brutalist for my taste, but that albino may change my mind :)
    Ivan

Thank you Ivan! I like it also so much, it is more minimalist maybe because in that watch, there is only spectrum between shades of grey and yellow colour.

Yes, the color palette makes the difference.
    Actually I do have a crab in restoration process. I need a good dial and a crown to get it finished.
    Name:  4.JPG
Views: 229
Size:  2.33 MB

While I wait, though...
    Got a bag of broken watches yesterday. Probably a watch repair service rejects. It consisted of about 10-12 non-working men's watches, about 5-6 non-working women's and some cases, movements and other parts. Didn't take any "before" photos, although should have. Out of the pile I already have 7 working and cleaned watches.
    Name:  5.JPG
Views: 227
Size:  4.08 MB

I may continue working on some of them, but I can't do much more than this.
    Name:  6.JPG
Views: 230
Size:  3.43 MB

The movement of the white face Raketa was too damaged for repair, so it got replaced. The same with the Orient. The others needed ballances, some needed case backs, the Luch is missing a rotor. The gold-plated Raketa (my favourite of the bunch) has a spot on the dial at 7, I'm still trying to figure out how to deal with it.
    Still, there are 2-3 watches in the pile waiting to be reborn. At least one Raketa and a Kama.
    Nothing spectacular, but I've been having a lot of fun the last 24 hours.
    Ivan

Page 15 of 76 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 65 ... LastLast

Thread Information