Before & After ✨ - Page 21
Like Tree1562Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 21 of 76 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 71 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

Thanks for sharing... and thanks for the puzzle, as I had to guess:
    - who was that Dzurov?
    - what 1944 jubilee was celebrated?
    - what cyrillic language gets 9 СЕПТЕМВРИ ?

Last one was the clue, proceeding by elimination from North to South...

You seem right about Poljot being the preferred brand for official gifts. GDR, I don’t know, but I remember seeing a pretty nice Poljot Signal given in Poland, for 25 years of work in the mines :shudder:
    It was chrome, not gold-plated, so not given to some big shot...

Quote Originally Posted by PanKorop View Post
    Thanks for sharing... and thanks for the puzzle, as I had to guess:
    - who was that Dzurov?
    - what 1944 jubilee was celebrated?
    - what cyrillic language gets 9 СЕПТЕМВРИ ?

Last one was the clue, proceeding by elimination from North to South...

You seem right about Poljot being the preferred brand for official gifts. GDR, I don’t know, but I remember seeing a pretty nice Poljot Signal given in Poland, for 25 years of work in the mines :shudder:
    It was chrome, not gold-plated, so not given to some big shot...
    :) It was a short conversation with Secondtime couple of pages back (page 18)

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/be...552677-18.html

that was started by a gen. Dzhurov back Poljot I found in a junk pile of watches. Secondtime posted an interesting story about a gen. Dzhurov signed Ruhla that was presented to one gen. Petrov. Must've been a rare exeption of the Poljot tradition. You can check it out.
    The 9th of September was the date communists took rule of Bulgaria, in what was effectivly a coup d'etat. It was celebrated as a day of liberation of the fascist regime. Each year we were parading, singing patriotic songs about partizan heroes and so on.

Also in relation of that topic I got my second Buletronic watch, wich happens to be the only bulgarian made wristwatch brand. I got a black dial one this time. It's a bit rough on the edges, and no congress edition this time, but still a cool watch.
    Name:  4.JPG
Views: 302
Size:  2.89 MB

Ivan
    Last edited by Kamburov; November 3rd, 2018 at 14:20.
    PanKorop and DJW GB like this.

Ok so I changed the aging and misbehaving movement in my original 1990 Komandirskie this summer.

It was my first mod, and after losing a calendar change spring i finally got it. Unfortunately, i messed up putting the hour hand back and it scored the dial in a circle at it's base. Not really noticeable unless you look with a loupe. Ok still worked...

That is until I realized the hour hand was loose and spinning. Some research showed maybe the hole was stretched. Ok. So I could try a few things to make the old hand fit...

Or go with newly lumed hands.

And today I got the hands on. Now 3 of my 4 blue-dial-red-star Komandirskies are up and running.

These 2 are older and have well patinated lume and original, now cracked, dials.

First the hands after the movement switch.
    Name:  20170802_200123.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  920.9 KB

And then tonight after the new hands were installed.
    Found a blue Seiko strap that fit too.
    The second is on a CheapestNatoStrap Kjsvarno(?) suede.

Name:  Komandirskie New Hands-1.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  1.17 MB
    Name:  Komandirskie New Hands-5.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  1.44 MB
    Name:  Komandirskie New Hands-2.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  2.54 MB
    And the collection, (Ok She's right- that's a lot of watches. *put eye-roll here*)
    -1971 Timex Marlin, green dial (reborn!), 1970's Timex Auto, 1974 Hamilton Accumatic ORANGE DIAL!
    -Dad's 1953 Bulova President, 1963 gold Accutron, and Grandpa's 1970 Caravelle machinist's watch

--E-One Bradley, --Evant Tropic Diver, bronze & green, --Urban Chronograph, —Seiko SNK's green & red,—Seiko Alpinist, —Bertucci A-2T (white), —Certina C-Sport Chrono, orange , —Timex 2002 Reefgear, —Omega Dynamic III (circa 2001), —Hamilton Pan Europe, blue, -- Monta Triumph, green dial.

-1972 Hamilton Pan Europe, -1971 Accutron 219,—Seiko H557 square digital-analog (mine, new in 1984),
    -80's Seiko 6F22 Moonphase, - -70's Timex Electric, —Vostok Signal watch (w/ alarm), -80's Komandirskie (Type 33) -1990 Komandirskie (Type 34) (4 of same!), -Victorinox 1980, —HMT Janata, -1912 Concord Travel Clock/watch (w/engraved dial)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Komandirskis are always fun to play with :) You obviously keep them in good condition. I still haven't figured a way to do a decent hands reluming. Maybe just can't find the proper lume for the job.
    Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    Komandirskis are always fun to play with :) You obviously keep them in good condition. I still haven't figured a way to do a decent hands reluming. Maybe just can't find the proper lume for the job.
    Ivan
    Thanks
    I was gonna try to pick up some lume and put it on eventually. But I only get about 1 evening a month to do Watch work. too busy with other Family obligations, ya kno. (Currently waiting on a new mainspring for an old Ronda mvmd, and trying to find donor Timex with M25 movement in it.)

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    Ivan
    Ivan,

Practice, practice, practice!

Maybe I can pass on some technical advice given to me when I enquired about hand painting with Herr Kamp from the Ruhla Watch and Clock Museum. Herr Kamp conferred with one of the women workers who used to do this particular job at the Ruhla factory. She told Herr Kamp this:

"With a pointed round wood, similar to a pencil, the tension lacquer is applied to the front of the hand and allowed to dry for approx. 2 hours on a horizontally lying wooden strip. Then the luminescent paint or another color paint was applied with a pointed brush."

Herr Kamp confirmed that this required much artisan skill and many years experience.

So, keep at it and one day you will perfect your skill!

You can see that this is the method used particularly when you look at the hands of a Ruhla Duoclock alarm clock. The gloss of the lacquer is evident with the lume behind it.

Sekondtime

Thanks a lot! Very interesting and much appreciated! I wasn't aware of this technique. Actually I never did any deeper of research related to my restoration hobby. Always went for the straight forward experiments with what I have in the house or in the nearest store, and trying to get the best results with it.
    I certainly did some reluming experiments, but the results were not as good as I hoped for. There are two of them I posted earlier in the thread (I think)
    Name:  6.JPG
Views: 246
Size:  2.12 MB
    Name:  7.JPG
Views: 255
Size:  2.27 MB
    Name:  8.JPG
Views: 253
Size:  2.37 MB
    Name:  9.JPG
Views: 257
Size:  2.35 MB
    Name:  14.JPG
Views: 249
Size:  2.35 MB
    Name:  15.JPG
Views: 248
Size:  2.54 MB
    Name:  18.JPG
Views: 251
Size:  3.53 MB
    Name:  19.JPG
Views: 269
Size:  1.65 MB

Your advice will change my approach, and I still need to pick the right materials, or maybe a different way to use the materials I already have.
    I really wanted to do a good reluming job on the black face Thiel, but still lack the confidence to even try.
    Ivan

It looks as though the lume needs a thinner to make it easier to work with and apply. Do you know what the lume is composed of?

Quote Originally Posted by Sekondtime View Post
    It looks as though the lume needs a thinner to make it easier to work with and apply. Do you know what the lume is composed of?
    Yes, it's very thick, and no, I don't know what the proper thinner would be. It also dries quick, so I transfered it into closed plastic bag to preserve it. The manufacturer (bulgarian company) representative I spoke with said it should not be thinned, as it will lose it's lume qualities. Not that I usually listen to advice from sales people, but haven't experimented with it enough. Will call them again for advice, though. This is their base hunting/fishing lume and it is the strongest. The others are mixed with colours and are weaker (I got an orange one and it was very weak).
    If I don't figure out this, I may experiment with their powder lume, that can be mixed with other stuff (transparent nail polish?) to achieve better results.
    I'm willing to give then a chance as they are relatevly cheap and local (cheap and fast 24h delivery).
    This is their site in EN
    Luxnox Glow-in-the-Dark Paint Powder

I will get to the more expensive options eventually (quality imports), but still willing to get the most out of this.
    Ivan
    Sekondtime likes this.

I didn't make "before" photos, or if I did I can't find them. I'll post it anyway.
    I got an UMF Ruhla as a bonus to a pile of mostly non working watches for spares. At home I was surprised to find out that it was an all stainless steel case model. I have a thing for those :)
    The other day, a friend of mine and a fanatic Ruhla collector (we met at the watchmaker again), gave me an old rusty UMF 2 movement to help with my restoration.
    It's in excellent working shape now, and I'm looking for another UMF 2 for my next restoration :) This never ends.
    The dial has lost it's "antimagnetic" print, which is a shame, I tried to save most of the rest. Comrade Sekondtime provided the catalogue references, so now I know the proper crown will be the final touch (found it without one).
    Very stylish watch, wish the dial was better.
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  728.6 KB
    Name:  1.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  3.99 MB
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 219
Size:  4.10 MB
    Sekondtime likes this.

Page 21 of 76 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 71 ... LastLast

Thread Information