Before & After ✨ - Page 22
Like Tree1562Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 22 of 76 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 72 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

Awesome work, night and day difference

Another transformation from Ivan:
    Name:  1_1541565698950.JPG
Views: 337
Size:  2.31 MBName:  4_1541565724366.JPG
Views: 329
Size:  2.46 MB

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    Yes, it's very thick, and no, I don't know what the proper thinner would be. It also dries quick, so I transfered it into closed plastic bag to preserve it. The manufacturer (bulgarian company) representative I spoke with said it should not be thinned, as it will lose it's lume qualities. Not that I usually listen to advice from sales people, but haven't experimented with it enough. Will call them again for advice, though. This is their base hunting/fishing lume and it is the strongest. The others are mixed with colours and are weaker (I got an orange one and it was very weak).
    If I don't figure out this, I may experiment with their powder lume, that can be mixed with other stuff (transparent nail polish?) to achieve better results.
    I'm willing to give then a chance as they are relatevly cheap and local (cheap and fast 24h delivery).
    This is their site in EN
    Luxnox Glow-in-the-Dark Paint Powder

I will get to the more expensive options eventually (quality imports), but still willing to get the most out of this.
    Ivan

Thanks for the link. I have had a look and I think the paint powder is something worth trying as it should mixed with a varnish. If you can get an equivalent to Rustins Clear Metal Lacquer (Blurb from their product: forms a protective film with excellent adhesion onto metal surface including Brass, Copper, Aluminium, Silver and other polished metals (not suitable for mild and stainless steel). It is guaranteed not to yellow or craze with age and Rustins Metal Lacquer will prevents metals from tarnishing = no more cleaning!) Rustins metal lacquer is quite thin and relatively quick drying. If it also doesn't yellow or craze, that is even better. A small bottle is quite cheap. Worth a try!

Sekondtime

Luxnox Glow-in-the-Dark Paint Powder – something new, something different!

Is there a paint that can be used on wood, on metal, on plastic, on concrete, on ….?

The answer to this question is – YES. But there is one condition, this has to be the Luxnox Glow-in-the-Dark Paint Powder, and we’ll explain you how to use it. You have to buy transparent varnish for metal, concrete, glass or another type of transparent varnish depending on the surface you have decided to paint and to make glow in the dark. You first add our paint powder to the varnish at a ratio of 100 g of varnish to 33 g of glow-in-the-dark paint powder, then mix very well until you reach a homogeneous mixture. In the process of work the paint must be stirred all the time in order to prevent the paint powder from turning into sludge. Why we decided to offer our customers this product?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for your input! I have a plan for this now :)
    If this works it's going to be fun mixing colours to make it look like naturally aged lume. Somehow it always bothered me putting new Meranom hands (new greenish lume) on old amphibias (aged beige).
    Ivan

OK, this more for the "modifying..." thread, but I feel so cosy here so there we go :)

A year ago I bought two vostoks from Ukraine, really cheap, combined shipping. One was komandirskie/generalskie 2416B auto for $17, so I threw in a franken I spotted to round the deal. It was a submarine komandirskie 2409 in a tonneau amphibia case. I simply needed the case. It was a long time ago and I could only find the thumbnail to show you.
    Name:  p.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  3.7 KB

Anyway. I found the propper case for it (bezel, caseback and all), and some months later I found a crown. Not the original crown model, but it fits well and I used the watch for around the house beater for a while.
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 293
Size:  2.27 MB
    Name:  3.JPG
Views: 297
Size:  2.31 MB

Today I got it out and decided to have some fun with it. I've wanted to strip a komandirskie to the brass for a lomg time, so I got myself some acid, gloves, mask and goggles and played mad professor on my balcony. Also prepared a new crystal and a bronze tension ring for it.
    I had some good fun for an hour or two and then all was ready for reassembling
    Name:  4.JPG
Views: 298
Size:  3.14 MB

So there it is
    Name:  5.JPG
Views: 304
Size:  2.72 MB
    Name:  7.JPG
Views: 301
Size:  2.78 MB
    Name:  6.JPG
Size:  2.94 MB

Not exactly a restoration, but still different than what it was before :)
    Ivan

PS: Haven't finished with it, working on hands replacement or reluming, and maybe a bronzed crown, but got so excited about it I had to post this. :)
    Last edited by Kamburov; November 9th, 2018 at 16:25.
    DJW GB, haha, elsoldemayo and 6 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    OK, this more for the "modifying..." thread, but I feel so cosy here so there we go 🙂

A year ago I bought two vostoks from Ukraine, really cheap, combined shipping. One was komandirskie/generalskie 2416B auto for $17, so I threw in a franken I spotted to round the deal. It was a submarine komandirskie 2409 in a tonneau amphibia case. I simply needed the case. It was a long time ago and I could only find the thumbnail to show you.
    Name:  p.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  3.7 KB

Anyway. I found the propper case for it (bezel, caseback and all), and some months later I found a crown. Not the original crown model, but it fits well and I used the watch for around the house beater for a while.
Size:  2.27 MB
Views: 297
Size:  2.31 MB

Today I got it out and decided to have some fun with it. I've wanted to strip a komandirskie to the brass for a lomg time, so I got myself some acid, gloves, mask and goggles and played mad professor on my balcony. Also prepared a new crystal and a bronze tension ring for it.
    I had some good fun for an hour or two and then all was ready for reassembling
Views: 298
Size:  3.14 MB

So there it is
    Name:  5.JPG
Views: 304
Size:  2.72 MB
    Name:  7.JPG
Views: 301
Size:  2.78 MB
Size:  2.94 MB

Not exactly a restoration, but still different than what it was before 🙂
    Ivan
    You restored it to what it looked like before it was electroplated. It looks great on that weathered strap.
    Kamburov, oldfox and zagato1750 like this.

Months ago I got these rhree non working Thiel/Ruhla watches (well, the UMF was kinda working).

Name:  0.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  2.77 MB

I decided restoring them, as I find these particular models very stylish and beautiful. Also I used to have a military WWII Thiel that I sold years ago, as the offered price could not be refused. Kinda missed it.
    I already posted the UMF Ruhla and one of the Tiels
Views: 257
Size:  3.58 MB
Views: 251
Size:  2.89 MB

and now I'm done with the last one. Thanks again to Secondtime for providing catalogs and advice!
    There's the catalog page for the two Praezisa models

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  1.98 MB

The movements of the Thiels and the UMF Ruhla (UMF 2) are very similar, major difference is the second hands position and the mechanics related to that. There are some other minor differences, but a lot of the parts seem interchangeable. At least looks that way. I'm impressed with these movements - solid, easy to work with and very accurate. Felt like working with vostoks.
    So there it is, probably my favourite of the bunch

Views: 253
Size:  3.25 MB
Views: 249
Size:  2.74 MB

For this one I had to buy a broken Thiel for using the crystal and hour hand ($10), and finally a non working movement with a healthy ballance ($5). The crown is a new vostok 24XX crown, but the old crowns were quite bad and not original anyway.

The other thing about the Thiels is their backs. They just age badly, to the blackened brass. No stainless steel backs here. So now I'm looking for a pair of good leather bands with pads.
    Ivan
    oldfox and Sekondtime like this.

EPK

Great job Ivan. I really like the black dial. I wish I had a clue as to how to do what you've done although it seems like a slippery slope :)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Kamburov likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EPK View Post
    Great job Ivan. I really like the black dial. I wish I had a clue as to how to do what you've done although it seems like a slippery slope 🙂

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    He has been giving away some of his secrets in this very thread recently.
    Kamburov likes this.

Gut gemacht Genosse Kamburov!

This has made me realise that several of my Thiels have not yet made it to my webpage!

The two variants in this movement arrived at different times. The small seconds version was made from 1948 until 1963. The central seconds version started from 1959 until 1963. There are small differences in some of the parts used such as balances and shock protection among others.

Sekondtime

Page 22 of 76 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 72 ... LastLast

Thread Information