Before & After ✨ - Page 23
Like Tree1567Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 23 of 76 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 73 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

Thanks, EPK! The black military style one is a very cool watch. The one I sold years ago was a black military one from about 1942 (last days of Thiel brand, before communists took over?) and I was offered $140 for it. I think it was a short wehrmacht order and attracted attention among collectors. I'm keeping these, though.
    Audiomagnate is right, I have no secrets, just enjoy it a lot and experiment with anything. The only secret of mine is that I have a lot of cheap expendable material for experimenting. So when I move to a watch restoration I have a vague idea what to expect. I sometimes make a mess of it. I just don't post my failures here :)
    Thanks, Secondtime, for your valuable advice and help! Especially on the radium lume advice. The black one had a glass crystal that could not be polished (I couldn't anyway), so I found an acryllic Thiel for spares. Finding out how to polish glass is a future experiment. And yes, I noticed the UMF 2 shock protected ballance on both sub and central second hand. My Ruhla collector friend helped me with a movement for spares (umf 2, central second hand), so now I owe him one. It's been really hard finding UMF 2 movements, even broken for spares.
    Ivan

It looks like the military ones have gone up in value. Ivan, are your spring bars soldered (welded?) in like these? https://www.ebay.com/itm/THIEL-UMF-R....c101006.m3226

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    It looks like the military ones have gone up in value. Ivan, are your spring bars soldered (welded?) in like these?
    Yes, both are. The same brass worn casebacks too.
    I've seen this (bulgarian) seller's Thiels too. Noone else is offering any at the moment, so he can put any price he feels like.
    Is it realistic? I honestly don't know.
    The funny thing is, when I sold mine for $140 on Ebay (about 3 years ago), it was actually a bulgarian guy that bought it. As my watchmaker says "pleasure has no pricetag".
    I personaly wouldn't pay that much for a 80 year old watch, though. Unless it's solid gold.
    Ivan

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not really a restoration, rather a reconstruction. It took me four frankens to build this Albatros--and I still need a fifth one to get the appropriate bezel.
    I only have the "after", I didn't take photos of the initial "before" frankens.

Sorry for the quality of the photos, taken late at night.

My interest in the UMF 2 movement continued last week. I won this non working UMF Ruhla at about $2, and also a healthy ballance movement at $3.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  153.9 KB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  113.6 KB
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  167.6 KB

Used the ballance and the second hand from the donor and got myself a healthy vintage watch. It's well worn, but still a beauty. Dial cleaned relatively well, retaining all original print without any damage at all, including the "made in Germany". Crystal polished really well, and I believe the crown is the original one.
    Name:  5.JPG
Views: 256
Size:  3.49 MB

I would deffinately enjoy wearing that on a good vintage leather strap.
    Ivan

There goes my usual trash tinkering. A week ago I bought a lot of I don't know how many old watches for like $17 delivered. There's the foggy, out of focus seller's pic
Views: 192
Size:  114.9 KB

It's been on a local auction site for months. What cought my eye was a Raketa that I miss in my collection, so I took a shot. There it is upon receiving.
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  2.62 MB

Out of the lot I picked four watches for restoration, the rest went to the spares box.
    Name:  3.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  2.81 MB

I'm almost done, and the Raketa needs a proper crown, but this one will do for now. May need some more crystals polishing, but I decided to post this anyway.
    For the big Raketa I found an original crystal, and the other three had pretty good original crystals. Cases turned out to be in very good condition too, just very dirty.
    Name:  4.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  3.87 MB

I'll be keeping an eye to this seller.
    Ivan

Great job once again !
    You couldn't save the Slavas and the Raketa TV ?
    Kamburov likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by haha View Post
    Great job once again !
    You couldn't save the Slavas and the Raketa TV ?
    Thanks! Eventually I will get back to them, but too much going on in my life right now. Unfortunately I don't make money doing this, otherwise I would do it all the time :) But they will have their chance.
    Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    There goes my usual trash tinkering. A week ago I bought a lot of I don't know how many old watches for like $17 delivered. There's the foggy, out of focus seller's pic
Views: 192
Size:  114.9 KB

It's been on a local auction site for months. What cought my eye was a Raketa that I miss in my collection, so I took a shot. There it is upon receiving.
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 221
Size:  2.62 MB

Out of the lot I picked four watches for restoration, the rest went to the spares box.
    Name:  3.JPG
Views: 222
Size:  2.81 MB

I'm almost done, and the Raketa needs a proper crown, but this one will do for now. May need some more crystals polishing, but I decided to post this anyway.
    For the big Raketa I found an original crystal, and the other three had pretty good original crystals. Cases turned out to be in very good condition too, just very dirty.
    Name:  4.JPG
Views: 218
Size:  3.87 MB
    on
    I'll be keeping an eye to this seller.
    Ivan
    Well done Ivan! I love lots like this just to see what you can salvage. In some cases the dirt that has built up on the watch case can protect it from scratches. Occasionally, you get a really good watch in the batch unexpectedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekondtime View Post
    Well done Ivan! I love lots like this just to see what you can salvage. In some cases the dirt that has built up on the watch case can protect it from scratches. Occasionally, you get a really good watch in the batch unexpectedly.

Thanks, Secondtime! You are absolutely right, sometimes treasure is found in the dirt. It's actually more fun than buying the good condition watch. It's what got me in this hobby in the first place. And for that price it's a win-win situation.
    Ivan
    Sekondtime likes this.

Page 23 of 76 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 73 ... LastLast

Thread Information