Before & After ✨ - Page 24
Like Tree1567Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 24 of 76 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 74 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

Following on from Ivan's UMF Ruhla last week here are some more. This post has watches, a bit of history and before and after.

First the watches and the history.

Berlin Morning Post - Wednesday 17th June 1953

Headline: Emergency crisis in the East! Soviets shoot hard - First victims. Unlimited indignation against SED government - Chaos in East Berlin!

These three black dial UMF Ruhla watches were all made about the time of the East German uprising in June 1953. These watches all contain Ruhla Start movements which were one of the main movements made by UMF Ruhla under the Soviet control of Avtovelo. Notice the three different case types. The one in the middle is a "Chronos" because of the central second hand.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMGP0364.JPG
Views:	290
Size:	2.89 MB
ID:	13709447

Name:	A IMGP0365.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	578.2 KB
ID:	13709479

Before and After

This first one was in quite good condition and I had not seen this case type before. The movement just needed a clean and re-oiling.

Name:	UMF RUHLA schwarzes Zifferblatt - rare vintage DDR, GDR Uhren - 50er Jahre.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	13709489Click image for larger version.

Name:	A IMGP0367 (3).JPG
Views:	224
Size:	606.6 KB
ID:	13709485

The Chronos required a little more intervention. The click spring needed replacing but once that was done along with a clean it functions perfectly. The watch is housed in the larger crab case.

Name:  UMF RUHLA schwarz - rare vintage Deutschland Uhren - 50er Jahre - DDR GDR 3.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  37.9 KBClick image for larger version.

Name:	A IMGP0379.JPG
Views:	229
Size:	475.4 KB
ID:	13709499

The third UMF Ruhla is housed in a slightly smaller case with crab style lugs.

Name:  UMF RUHLA schwarz - rare vintage Deutschland Uhren - 50er Jahre - DDR GDR Eur10-00.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  35.2 KBClick image for larger version.

Name:	a IMGP0382.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	404.4 KB
ID:	13709507

And here is the Start movement. You can see that this is a precursor to the famous UMF Calibre 24 which started production in 1963. However, the Start has a dual fixed balance cock bridge. The movement is also a heavier guage than the later calibre 24 and the dials are fixed to the movement with tabs rather than dial feet. All three case types have a fixed closed lug for the watch straps. It is difficult to find open end watch straps for this type of lug. So, conventional ones have been adapted to fit.

Name:	A IMGP0385.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	563.0 KB
ID:	13709513

And now for a bit more history.

In the link below, you will see more photos of Berlin during the uprising of 1953. This was caused by the harsh post war conditions imposed on the East Germans by the Soviets and also by the unrelenting work requirement imposed on the people by the ruling SED party.

https://www.welt.de/geschichte/galle...n-Bildern.html

East Berliners against Soviet tanks. More photos in the link above.

Sekondtime

Beautiful work again! And thanks for the interesting history flashback! A reminder of how short human memory is.
    Ivan
    PanKorop likes this.

Beautiful work again! And thanks for the interesting history flashback! A reminder of how short human memory is.
    Ivan
    Sekondtime likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

More Ruhla before and after shots. Last time (above) it was the 1950s. This time we have moved on to the 1960s!

First is a 1964 black dial Ruhla calibre 24-32. This one was just over $10. I could see the dial and hands looked ok and I could sort out the case easily.

Name:  UMF RUHLA Cal. 24 rare vintage DDR - GDR Uhren - vintage Germany watch - UM 1950 Eur12-00.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  35.0 KBName:  UMF RUHLA Cal. 24 rare vintage DDR - GDR Uhren - vintage Germany watch - UM 1950 Eur12-00 2.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  39.8 KB

After cleaning the movement, polishing the crystal and case it now looks like this. The lugs on the case needed some straightening. You have to be very careful doing this as there is a weak point which could mean the lug snaps off.

Name:	Ruhla-Calibre-24-32-Black-Dial-Arabic-Numerals-Gold-coloured-Case-1964.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	167.0 KB
ID:	13727555

Next it is 1966 and this classic 1960s Ruhla design which comes in cream or black and a variety of cases. The sellers photo on this one was a bit more obscure. I bought it on the basis of spare parts but on closer inspection, it was clear I could salvage the watch. It cost about $5.

Name:	Ruhla Cream Gold Chapter Cal 24 (2) 4.24.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	13727563

After some cleaning and polishing and a new strap, it looks like this. The gold ring on the dial has suffered in places from oxidisation but it still looks quite good.

Name:	UMF-Ruhla-Calibre-24-Cream-Dial-Gold-Chapter-Ring-Gold-Engraved-Batons-1966.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	13727571

Lastly is a 1968 Ruhla calibre 24-32. It was sold as spares/repair as it had no crystal and the movement was not working. However, despite no crystal, I could see the dial and hands had survived quite well and it was worth saving. It was less than $10.

Name:  RUHLA - rare vintage Deutschland Uhren - 60er Jahre ! DDR GDR ! um 1950 - umf 3.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  40.2 KBName:  RUHLA - rare vintage Deutschland Uhren - 60er Jahre ! DDR GDR ! um 1950 - umf Eur10-00.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  42.3 KB

The movement was easy to sort. A new crystal and some polishing of the case together with a new watch strap and it looks almost new.

Name:	Ruhla-Calibre-24-32-Cream-Dial-Arabic-Numerals-Gold-coloured-Case-1968.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	13727545

I really love Ruhlas from the 1960s and I have added these three to my extensive collection.

Also, I have a video to post soon related to 1960s Ruhlas and a bit of GDR music culture! Look out for it!

Sekondtime.

Beautiful job, always looking forward to your posts! My growing attraction to Ruhla is a direct result of this.
    Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    Beautiful job, always looking forward to your posts! My growing attraction to Ruhla is a direct result of this.
    Ivan
    Thanks. I am pleased someone else shares my love of Ruhlas!

Ruhla Rules!

Ilmost finished restoration of my brass experiment komandirskie. The restoration of dial and movement are not perfect, but good enough. Need a new mainspring for the 2416B RUS, now I have to wind it every 4-5 hours. Working fine otherwise.
    Bought it as a non-working, no crown, rusty piece of junk, together with a non-working quartz raketa. Don't keep pictures of that time, all I could find was a thumbnail in my Ebay purchase history.
    Name:  x.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  4.5 KB

Can't see much, I know. The dial took some cleaning, but not perfect. The red rust spot in the center was just too tough. The 2416B RUS was rebuilt, some rusty parts replaced. The case I used for a brass stripping experiment that I showed a few posts ago. Also a new replacement crown. Anyway there it is

Name:  40.JPG
Views: 185
Size:  2.54 MB

Now if you ask what happened to the antimagnetic red star/submarine dial 2409A, well, it went where it belongs - stainless steel 020 case with antimagnetic protection.
    One of those belarussian bezels added for flavour.
    The before is also just a thumbnail from the Ebay purchase history.

Name:  v.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  3.7 KB

Name:  39.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  2.87 MB

I'm taking that one out for a walk.
    Ivan
    haha, borgil and RedFroggy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    Ilmost finished restoration of my brass experiment komandirskie. The restoration of dial and movement are not perfect, but good enough. Need a new mainspring for the 2416B RUS, now I have to wind it every 4-5 hours. Working fine otherwise.
    Bought it as a non-working, no crown, rusty piece of junk, together with a non-working quartz raketa. Don't keep pictures of that time, all I could find was a thumbnail in my Ebay purchase history.
Views: 137

Can't see much, I know. The dial took some cleaning, but not perfect. The red rust spot in the center was just too tough. The 2416B RUS was rebuilt, some rusty parts replaced. The case I used for a brass stripping experiment that I showed a few posts ago. Also a new replacement crown. Anyway there it is

Views: 185

Now if you ask what happened to the antimagnetic red star/submarine dial 2409A, well, it went where it belongs - stainless steel 020 case with antimagnetic protection.
    One of those belarussian bezels added for flavour.
    The before is also just a thumbnail from the Ebay purchase history.

Name:  v.jpg
Size:  3.7 KB

Name:  39.JPG
Views: 170
Size:  2.87 MB

I'm taking that one out for a walk.
    Ivan
    The second one looks superb! We can't yet comment on the first one you posted as the picture doesn't appear to be loading. Can you repost?

Quote Originally Posted by Sekondtime View Post
    The second one looks superb! We can't yet comment on the first one you posted as the picture doesn't appear to be loading. Can you repost?
    Thank you!
    Sure, reposting. It loads fine on my screen.
    Before

After
Views: 177
    Sekondtime likes this.

Recently I picked up two 020 case CCCP Amphibians from eBay. Both ads had been on for quite some time, runners, reasonable low "Buy-it-now" & postage price. Both were screaming for TLC

The first watch, with the CCCP white-Submarine, wasn't that bad, but due to the scratched crystal the condition of the dial was hard to judge. All seemed original, anti-magnetic shield included.
    The movement was in desperate need of a service. I'm still not happy with the amplitude, but the draw & lock of the pallet-jewels seemed a bit too much. Since there is no calendar complication to power, I'll let it be; see what it does.
    Cleaned the dirty dial, but that went nearly wrong. Started carefully with denatured alcohol and initially that seemed to go fine, until it didn't. It started dissolving the white paint, even ever so slight. Continued with demineralised water with a drop of soap. Another lesson learned
    All was left as original, apart from the crystal and the bezel. I need to find either a source for the bezels with a lume-dot or find a way to do it myself

The second watch, with CCCP blue/black Submarine, turned out to be much better than what I expected of it. The outside was pretty beaten-up and therefor it was a gamble-purchase. Also this watch was sitting on eBay for "ages", waiting patiently for the kind TLC-hand
    Again, I could left most of it original, a new crystal and a (bit out of place) re-lumed paddle second-hand. If I find an old (lume) second-hand, I'll change it out. The movement runs great too (I changed the Daily rate this morning slightly down)

I've some more unwanted "el-cheapo's" in the post .... all in desperate need of TLC
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kamburov, haha, Avidfan and 2 others like this.

Page 24 of 76 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 74 ... LastLast

Thread Information