Before & After ✨ - Page 25
Like Tree1567Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 25 of 76 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 75 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

Congrats, comrade, you've done a beautiful job with these two amfibias! Excellent addition to my favourite thread in the forum.
    I can sense you enjoy this :) Giving a new life to old watches is a noble thing to do and I wish you luck!
    Will be looking forward to your restorations!
    Ivan
    EndeavourDK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    Congrats, comrade, you've done a beautiful job with these two amfibias! Excellent addition to my favourite thread in the forum.
    I can sense you enjoy this :) Giving a new life to old watches is a noble thing to do and I wish you luck!
    Will be looking forward to your restorations!
    Ivan
    Thank you for your compliments

I've done already quite a few, on the British WRT-forum. Those were more in-depth, called "Walktroughs"; describing step-by-step what & how one did it, but more "movement-service" orientated.

Here are a few picks:
    - https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topi...aster-mark-ii/
    - https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topi...graph-service/
    - https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topi...k-rolex-1940s/

And yes, I thoroughly enjoy doing this I love to get my hands "dirty" and to poke around in watches, each time a new challenge ..... or better; a new "Endeavour"
    It's indeed very awarding if one succeeds

Thanks again and I'm looking forward to your, and others, new projects !
    Fascinating stuff !!
    Last edited by EndeavourDK; January 31st, 2019 at 17:49. Reason: Spelling error(s)

Wow, I must say I'm impressed! Glad you've turned your attention towards soviets aswel!
    EndeavourDK likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    Wow, I must say I'm impressed! Glad you've turned your attention towards soviets aswel!
    It would be nice if some restorations were described in some more detail, with step-by-step pictures or a description how it was done. For example I like to learn how dial cleaning / restoring is done? How to create an "aged" lume so hour-markers and hands can be restored? How to make a lasting lume-dot on bezels? Etc, etc, etc ......

It would be nice to learn from each others experiences, the good and (perhaps more importantly) the bad

Perhaps this thread may be of interest when interested in DIY electrolytic plating (brush- & submerged-plating). Some of my projects turned out fine, others a bit less. Try & error and trying to improve ones skills
    https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topi...#comment-38566
    Kamburov likes this.

Interesting thread indeed, will look into it!
    It's funny, I have the same working "chelsea" timepiece somewhere, and I always wondered what kind of watch it's a part of. Now I know it's supposed to be on a bracelet :)
    Ivan
    EndeavourDK likes this.

A small collection of vintages. A little left to be done. Most notably - a seconds hand and crown for the Almaz and a seconds hand and a good caseback for the gold-plated Volna. May be a crown or two for the others too.
    Some had to go through major repairs, the Almaz costed me two donor movements, but all are working fine now.
    Ivan

Name:  4.JPG
Views: 198
Size:  4.35 MB
    PanKorop, haha, RobNJ and 4 others like this.

Exceptionally well done!
    Kamburov likes this.

Today, at lunch time I got this Slava 2427.
    Name:  1.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  2.66 MB

It was non working, missing the seconds hand, and the crown turned freely without winding or setting. All else seemed to be in place.
    Not many soviet watches were produced with bracelets, even less with stainless steel bracelets, and none with bracelets that wide. I knew this type of Slava has some good following, and I didn't have one. Simple math.
    I knew I had to open it from the front to fix that winding mechanism. It's a common issue I encounter with slavas. I managed to make it worse, though. Tried to straighten the seconds hand pin and I broke it. Now I had to open the back, all through the auto, to get to that wheel and replace it. Basicly I had to take the whole thing apart. Kind of annoying, as I had decided recently to stop repairing watches and stare through lenses.
    So there we go
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  2.57 MB

There goes the new spare wheel. As soon as I had the bridge on I wound it, I dropped the thing on the table and it started working. That's a good thing, right?
    Name:  3.JPG
Views: 154
Size:  2.32 MB

Got the auto on...
    Name:  4.JPG
Views: 158
Size:  2.06 MB

... and it was time to turn it arround
    Name:  5.JPG
Size:  2.56 MB

The winding mechanism often fails me with slavas. The spring that holds the cylinder wheel often slips off, and then I have to do the things I'm doing right now. I guess there's a propper technical language to explain these things, but I can't be bothered right now. Anyway, I got it right, and I'm ready to but it all back
    Name:  6.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  2.32 MB
    Name:  7.JPG
Views: 162
Size:  2.46 MB

Now that everything is working fine (day/date changing and all) it's time to clean it up a bit, find a seconds hand and replace the crown.
    Name:  8.JPG
Views: 160
Size:  2.17 MB
    Name:  9.JPG
Views: 164
Size:  2.39 MB
    Name:  10.JPG
Views: 166
Size:  2.44 MB

Couldn't find the model's propper hand so had to improvise until I get one. Couldn't be bothered with case polishing too, so there's the raw result
    Name:  11.JPG
Views: 152
Size:  3.12 MB
    Name:  12.JPG
Size:  2.24 MB
    Name:  13.JPG
Views: 157
Size:  2.92 MB
    Name:  14.JPG
Views: 155
Size:  3.23 MB

Well, this thing feels heavy and solid. Now I know what you guys meant before!
    It is deffinately a cool line of Slava models, and...man, that bracelet is huge! For a soviet watch, I mean.
    Thanks for reading all this
    Ivan

Well done Ivan for sticking with it. It is always a pain when you think you've almost corrected a defect to discover something else or worse, cause something else yourself! I sometimes tackle the movement and then leave it a day or two before cleaning the case and crystal. Some crystals can take a lot of effort to get right.

Anyway, after that inspiration from Ivan, here a two of my latest that I have actually got before and after photos. A late 1950s Mayak and a 1981 Ruhla made between 23rd and 29th November.

First the Mayak. This watch had a damaged crystal and the movement was described as not working. I could see the potential since the dial and hands looked ok.

Here are the before photos:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mayak 1 Before.jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.82 MB 
ID:	13881815 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mayak 2 Before.jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	1.64 MB 
ID:	13881817

The case back was caked in green gunge. In fact at one point I thought he case back and case back securing ring were one piece because green gunge had welded them together. You can see green gunge in the thread of the case back securing ring if you expand the photo above.

Here is just some of the debris I removed from the watch back.

Name:	Mayak 3 Before Green.JPG 
Views:	148 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	13881823

I thought I would have to replace the balance spring or pivot but on inspection, it had just been tangled slightly and just needed cleaning and resetting.

Here you can see it after cleaning and resetting spinning like good'un. Notice too the absence of green gunge!

Name:	Mayak  After.jpg 
Size:	2.68 MB 
ID:	13881827 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mayak 3 After.jpg 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	13881829

Here it is from the front with a new crystal.

Name:	IMGP1046.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	375.0 KB 
ID:	13881833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mayak 1 After.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	13881839

And a clean case back

Name:	Mayak 2 After2.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	2.39 MB 
ID:	13881843

At the same time, I received a Ruhla which was pretty much in a similar state except the movement was working. In fact the movement needed minimal attention.

Here it is before. The movement just needed a clean.

Attachment 13881845 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruhla 2 Before.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.90 MB 
ID:	13881849

After cleaning and crystal polishing, it now looks like this. You can now see the graduated colour in the dial. The lume dots are all present and working perfectly.

In the background you can see some East German modular concrete buildings which are on Lenin Platz in East Berlin.

Name:	Ruhla 1 After.jpg 
Views:	154 
Size:	2.66 MB 
ID:	13881851Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruhla  After.jpg 
Size:	1.19 MB 
ID:	13881853

Name:	Ruhla 2 After.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	13881855 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ruhla 3 After.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	976.3 KB 
ID:	13881857

Both watches work perfectly well and keep good time.

Sekondtime

Thanks for the compliments, Secondtime! As we disscussed before, a bad crystal and accumulated dirt on the case may hide and exeptional beauty underneath. I guess that means the shell did it's job well, protecting the watch inside. I love it when I spot a watch like that at a flea market or antique shop. Even the green gunge is a good thing, it's good to know noone opened it for a long, long time.
    Excellent result on both watches! I can't take my eyes from that Mayak, though, it's a stunning dial/hands combination! This may be the only copper Mayak dial, and it's so cool you got it in that condition. With some nice patina too. Congrats!
    Ivan
    PanKorop likes this.

Page 25 of 76 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 75 ... LastLast

Thread Information