Before & After ✨ - Page 26
Like Tree1567Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 26 of 76 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    Thanks for the compliments, Secondtime! As we disscussed before, a bad crystal and accumulated dirt on the case may hide and exeptional beauty underneath. I guess that means the shell did it's job well, protecting the watch inside. I love it when I spot a watch like that at a flea market or antique shop. Even the green gunge is a good thing, it's good to know noone opened it for a long, long time.
    Excellent result on both watches! I can't take my eyes from that Mayak, though, it's a stunning dial/hands combination! This may be the only copper Mayak dial, and it's so cool you got it in that condition. With some nice patina too. Congrats!
    Ivan
    Thanks Ivan. Yes the gunge probably does mean it had not been tampered with too much. I wonder what lurks in that green gunge. Plenty of dead skin and bacteria!

Here is the 1957 catalogue entry for the Mayak. The description refers to the colour as brass. It has blue steel minute, hour and seconds hands. Numbering is in black and the white rings is described as matt. I notice that Mroatman has an identical one on his website but I bet mine was cheaper at $13.

Name:  Mayak 57K Soviet Watches Catalogue 1957 Central Bureau of Technical Information.JPG
Views: 150
Size:  49.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Sekondtime View Post
    I notice that Mroatman has an identical one on his website but I bet mine was cheaper at $13.
    Yeah, I was well aware of Dashiell's example, and it may be just the light angle when taking the shot, but yours looked shinier
    I literally saw it in a new light from your post.
    Ivan

PS: And let's be honest, that 60s catalogue has really crappy pictures, it doesn't do justice to the watches pictured in it.
    Last edited by Kamburov; February 13th, 2019 at 01:14.
    Sekondtime likes this.

Not such a stunning different result as Secondtime; but I manged to remove the lackluster and bring back some sparkling; ready for another round
    The movement was stripped, cleaned, oiled and adjusted. The dial was cleaned (denatured alcohol, not on the lume !!) and "polished" with cotton sticks.
    Case & bezel polished, the surfaces of the hands carefully cleaned with Rodico and a new crystal inserted. I think I was the first to service this movement after it has left the factory. It all seemed pretty original and untouched.
    Perhaps the 2409 movement may need some slight adjustment when worn on the wrist, but for a 30 year old .... it doesn't run too shabby
    Attached Images Attached Images

EPK, Avidfan, Kamburov and 4 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Beautiful job and beautiful watch! This model cleanup was my first poster in this forum, and it's been my favourite 2409 since. I even keep it on the same green nato strap
    Very nice!
    Ivan
    EndeavourDK likes this.

Beautiful job and beautiful watch! This model cleanup was my first poster in this forum, and it's been my favourite 2409 since. I even keep it on the same green nato strap
    Very nice!
    Ivan
    Yes, it's one of my favorites too ...... or is it two of my favorites too ? I'm getting old and confused
    Left original. Right a little less, but at least one can see what's going on during the night

Kamburov likes this.

Not that long ago I reported in "What did you buy today?" my US$2 (ex.postage) scrapheap challenge. Well, the terrible looking none running Vostok Cadet arrived today.
    What was under the "bonnet" I'll show you in a second, but for sure the crystal is totally shot. Seemingly somebody tried to polish it with a mechanical device (I can't say it out loud, but by the looks of it perhaps something like an angle grinder with a course 60 grit disk ). Anyway, whole edges are ground off, gone forever.
    Searching eBay for a new crystal yielded no results ...... has anybody some idea's? (of course, I'm not going to pay a fortune to restore a cadet, so a cheap solution is preferred )
    The hairspring was in a bit of a mess and off center, but balance showed signs of life .....

Without further ado, here is what was under the "bonnet";

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    Not such a stunning different result as Secondtime; but I manged to remove the lackluster and bring back some sparkling; ready for another round
    The movement was stripped, cleaned, oiled and adjusted. The dial was cleaned (denatured alcohol, not on the lume !!) and "polished" with cotton sticks.
    Case & bezel polished, the surfaces of the hands carefully cleaned with Rodico and a new crystal inserted. I think I was the first to service this movement after it has left the factory. It all seemed pretty original and untouched.
    Perhaps the 2409 movement may need some slight adjustment when worn on the wrist, but for a 30 year old .... it doesn't run too shabby
    Excellent job! It is always nice to see such a transformation.

The cadet has potential as long as you can secure a reasonably priced crystal. Sometimes, you have to keep these ones in a drawer for months, sometimes longer before the right spare parts become available at the right price or through a donor watch. Good luck. Hopefully, we will see the results here in this thread.

Sekondtime

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    Not that long ago I reported in "What did you buy today?" my US$2 (ex.postage) scrapheap challenge. Well, the terrible looking none running Vostok Cadet arrived today.
    What was under the "bonnet" I'll show you in a second, but for sure the crystal is totally shot. Seemingly somebody tried to polish it with a mechanical device (I can't say it out loud, but by the looks of it perhaps something like an angle grinder with a course 60 grit disk ). Anyway, whole edges are ground off, gone forever.
    Searching eBay for a new crystal yielded no results ...... has anybody some idea's? (of course, I'm not going to pay a fortune to restore a cadet, so a cheap solution is preferred )
    The hairspring was in a bit of a mess and off center, but balance showed signs of life .....

Without further ado, here is what was under the "bonnet";
    Is this the right one?

The listing is confusing, it says its 20mm (which I am guessing is the size of the cadet crystal) but then says it'll fit all komandirskies.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vostok-Ko...PTp:rk:89:pf:0
    EndeavourDK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CrusadesOClock View Post
    Is this the right one?

The listing is confusing, it says its 20mm (which I am guessing is the size of the cadet crystal) but then says it'll fit all komandirskies.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vostok-Ko...PTp:rk:89:pf:0
    No, not for cadet. The cadet crystal has a diameter of about 26mm (measured with my old ruler). The listing is for a classic komandirskie, and the 20m (?) is probably related to the thickness of it which is 2mm (amfibia is 3mm).
    Secondtime has a good point about the cadet's spare parts.
    Ivan

Secondtime has a good point about the cadet's spare parts.
    Ivan
    Next to the crystal, the bottom pivot of the balance staff was broken too. The main plate has a removable anti-shock setting which take another balance roller-table than a main-plate with a fixed setting. Currently I don't have a correct spare balance either, so indeed, best is to put the project in the freezer until a donor is found
    I serviced the movement and it's fine up till the balance ..... The dial may be next to perfect once cleaned. Anyway, no hurry ..... more for a rainy day
    Thanks for all the help

Page 26 of 76 FirstFirst ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... LastLast

Thread Information