Before & After ✨ - Page 27
Like Tree1567Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 27 of 76 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

Quote Originally Posted by CrusadesOClock View Post
    The listing is confusing, it says its 20mm (which I am guessing is the size of the cadet crystal) but then says it'll fit all komandirskies.
    Actually says 20m, which would be the WR for a modern Komandirskie classic in metres.
    Kamburov likes this.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  282.4 KB
    Name:  5.JPG
Views: 231
Size:  4.37 MB
    Name:  4.JPG
Views: 234
Size:  2.34 MB

Ballance was broken, so had to replace that. Crystal from another vostok too. Hacking works well. Could use an even better crystal, but that will do for now.
    Ivan

Nice strap too, they really look great together !
    Kamburov likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by haha View Post
    Nice strap too, they really look great together !
    Thanks! I have two of those, and this one had a B&A treatment too ... with pig's fat
    Awaiting the wrath of the vegans now
    Ivan
    PanKorop likes this.

I bought this vintage Poljot as it looked all authentic, including the crown. Well, also it was quite cheap.
Views: 161
Size:  273.3 KB

The back was difficult to take off, and there was green-blue oxidation at the stem area that had almost fused the back to the case. In my book this is a good thing, as it means no intervention had taken place recently. The dial took some work, but I'm really happy with it. The nicotine yellow became white, the green at 3 also behaved well. No visible loss of print.
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 213
Size:  3.35 MB
    Name:  3.JPG
Views: 211
Size:  4.18 MB
Views: 212
Size:  3.33 MB
    Name:  6.JPG
Size:  3.88 MB

Now the real reason I bought it
Size:  4.14 MB

1944-1969, 25 years from 9th of September.
    The day the communist party took over, and Bulgaria was a kingdom no more. It became the People's Republic of Bulgaria.
    Cheers!
    Ivan
    haha, pump 19, EndeavourDK and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    I bought this vintage Poljot as it looked all authentic, including the crown. Well, also it was quite cheap.

The back was difficult to take off, and there was green-blue oxidation at the stem area that had almost fused the back to the case. In my book this is a good thing, as it means no intervention had taken place recently. The dial took some work, but I'm really happy with it. The nicotine yellow became white, the green at 3 also behaved well. No visible loss of print.

The day the communist party took over, and Bulgaria was a kingdom no more. It became the People's Republic of Bulgaria.
    Cheers!
    Ivan
    Another successful restoration! You are putting the pressure on me with your rate of work!

I think we need to grow some of that green-blue oxidation in a lab and see what is in it. I bet we are dicing with death with some super bug!

Sekondtime

Quote Originally Posted by Sekondtime View Post
    Another successful restoration! You are putting the pressure on me with your rate of work!

I think we need to grow some of that green-blue oxidation in a lab and see what is in it. I bet we are dicing with death with some super bug!

Sekondtime
    Thanks, Sekondtime! I'm really, really trying not to buy watches lately, but these were opportunities I couldn't pass. That all authentic comemorative Poljot was $15, and only the 20 micron gold on it is worth that money. It's a mirracle the case hasn't been recycled yet, and the watch wasted. It would be such a shame for a piece of history like that. These were for high ranking party members only. Not super, super rare, but rare nevertheless.
    I consider dealing with the green stuff to be one of my biggest restoration successes. The rust remover liquid (phosphoric acid) I use does miracles with it. The green spot just boils up and dissapears. What's left is much easier to clean. I'm thankful the print behind the date window survived the chenical reaction.
    I will also share an observation about the crown of this watch. Maybe some of you are familiar with it, but I noticed it for the first time.
    It looks quite normal at first glance
    Name:  7.JPG
Views: 183
Size:  2.24 MB

but it is actually made from three parts, with a spring in the middle.
    Name:  8.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  2.35 MB

Some day I may check my watches to look for another one. Anyone seen that before?
    Ivan

24h

Cheers!
    Ivan
    Looks great! Excellent job on the restoration
    Last edited by 24h; February 20th, 2019 at 09:16. Reason: Typo
    Kamburov likes this.

My YouTube Channel for watch modding and I​nstagram for (mostly) Russian watches

Cheers!
    Ivan
    Hi Ivan ,
    what procedure are you using to clean the dial?. I have one white dial ( cardi-vostok) and tried with rubber , but got fading effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Utva_56 View Post
    Hi Ivan ,
    what procedure are you using to clean the dial?. I have one white dial ( cardi-vostok) and tried with rubber , but got fading effect.
    Hi! It's easy to tell you what I use, more difficult to explain the technique I apply it with, and impossible to say if these will work on your dial.
    My favourite cleaning liquid is a cheap rust transforming liquid I get from my local store. It's green in colour, and contains an active ingredient phosphoric acid 25%-35%. It deals well with accumulated old oxidations, but not too agressive to instantly wipe printing and paint. Less aggressive than lemon juice even. It really is my best discovery related to my restoration hobby. And a bottle of it costs less than a dollar. I've disscussed it with a lot of forum friends around the world, and it seems this particular stuff is only produced locally, as I haven't found an adequate alternative outside Bulgaria. Which puzzles me really.
    I've developed a technique to applying it on dials, based on many experiments, but generally it works better on chemmical level (I apply, let it work, and soak it out), than mechanical (apply, then whipe the surface with it). Well, I might do some gentle wiping if I get the feel that the dial will take it.
    If I need to clean an important dial, I find a cheap wasted one, just to practice on it. Then I transfer the experience on the important one.
    I have no experience on Cardi-vostoks, but they are modern watches, and a white dial is always difficult to clean. It depends on the paints and laqueurs osed to produce it. It may well be impossible.
    The vintage soviets are very good to clean, as the paints used are quite tough, and they take cleaning pretty well. A damaged modern white dial may be beyond repair, though.
    I wish I could be more helpful.
    Ivan
    PanKorop likes this.

Page 27 of 76 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast

Thread Information