Before & After ✨ - Page 29
Like Tree1567Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 29 of 76 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

Excellent lume job, EndeavourDK! Can't wait to try it out myself.
    Ivan
    EndeavourDK likes this.

Did a little test last night. The picture was taken just after the light source (a flashlight) was removed. The both two top hands (a hour & minute hand) were treated with the coffee-lume. The coffee-lume minute-hand has already been shown in the hands comparison picture above.
    The hand on the bottom is the same "pure-lume" relumed hand.
    As you can see, the hands treated with coffee-lume are radiating a different light and the untreated hand appears brighter. An hour later this difference became less (the camera failed to pick up the faint light and therefore was unable to focus ). At around 03:00 all hands appeared to radiated the same amount of light.

This concludes my test and the results appear good enough to try this method out on some watches. Long term results ..... we have to wait and see ...

Hopefully for us all another tool / idea in the restoration / tinkering toolbox

Looking forward to other suggestions / idea's and share knowledge / experiments / results etc
    Attached Images Attached Images

The results look very promising. The control example is too bright in my opinion for a vintage watch restoration anyway and would look artificial. So the coffee-lumed hands seem to be the perfect match.

The longevity of the coffee-lumed hands is just another part of the experiment. I did a similar thing with the tippex-mouse method of infilling hands which had originally had a thin "wipe" of white paint. So far several years on, the tippex-mouse method seems to have worked well.

We are just like mad scientists!

Sekondtime

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sekondtime View Post
    We are just like mad scientists!
    Sekondtime
    I would rather like to say: "necessity is the mother of invention"

and thanks for the Tippex-mouse idea

24h

I wonder what the acidity of the coffee does to the lume/binder/hand over time.

My YouTube Channel for watch modding and I​nstagram for (mostly) Russian watches

Quote Originally Posted by 24h View Post
    I wonder what the acidity of the coffee does to the lume/binder/hand over time.
    Googling reveals that the PH of blend coffee is around 4.7. I've no idea what the PH of the binding fluid is. Judging the amount of coffee compared to the amount of binding fluid, I would assume that the net result won't be that far off from the PH of the binding fluid.
    Last edited by EndeavourDK; March 10th, 2019 at 22:51.
    24h likes this.

Here I like to share my first "real" coffee lume-job on hands of a Komandirkie. While puling the hands for servicing the 2414 movement, a part of the minute-hand lume fell off.
    I serviced the movement, cleaned the case and re-conditioned the original CCCP leather strap (a Komandirskie which was issued around the '90s in Italie).
    Today I decided to re-lume the hands (and some extra) and take pictures of the job in order to share my experiences. Unfortunately my camera decided to play games with the white-balance and exposure, so the colors and exposure are all over the place. On top of that, which makes my report and picture sequence even more messy, I did three luming attemps. By the first attempt the lume color was too light, the second too dark and the third attempt was about as good as I could get it ..... but not to my satisfaction.

First picture is of the hands being scraped clean and I collected the lume for color reference.

The second picture is my Lume setup. Two strips of Rodico with the hands pinned in between. What I learned is that (as usual ) preparation is the key. The hands have to be horizontal, so the lume doesn't run to the low-side, well secured, so that they don't move during luming and the opening in the hands has to be fully free, so the lume doesn't pull against the Rodico by its capillary forces. Also the Rodico has to have a flat bottom to aid stability. A tea spoon with some coffee grains. An old crystal for mixing and an oiler. Instead of picking the coffee grains up with tweezers, I found that wetting the oiler with some binding-fluid and then pick up some coffee grains with the wet oiler works better. The coffee needs to be well mixed in the binding fluid and small parts can be presses fine against the inner-rim of the crystal. I found it hard to make the correct judgement on how much coffee to mix to obtain the right color. Once the binding fluid gets darker, it gets harder to judge whether it gets (much) darker after adding some more coffee; hence my three attempts. To the right the old lume for color reference.
    The lume solution / mix has to have a viscosity such that it starts sticking, or a small amount / droplet stays on the oiler.
    First "wet" the metal-edge around the opening of the hand, then take a bigger droplet on the oiler and pull across the hand, from one side to the other, closing the opening. The lume may pull back on its own, take some more lume and pull it close. Once nicely pulled closed, resist your temptation and keep off !!

The third and fourth picture is an attempt to show the end result. As said, my camera was playing up and the fourth picture was taken by my microscope, which has blue LED-lights ..... that wasn't a great help to show the colors either.

The last picture of the hands installed on the watch. As you can see, the problem with coffee lume is that the lume gets darker, brownish. The old lume however, as you can compare with the hour lume-dots, has turned darker and more brown/yellowish.
    This color I couldn't mimic with the coffee trick

Perhaps the next time I have to add some curry or Kurkuma powder

So, yes the hands became off-white and towards the old lume, but I'm not fully happy with the end result ....... in this case! There may be occasions whereby coffee will do the trick ?

Anyway, these were my experiences, some do's & don'ts and I hope it adds to the learning curve .......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by EndeavourDK; March 18th, 2019 at 21:08. Reason: Spelling
    24h, PDAdict, Avidfan and 9 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    Here I like to share my first "real" coffee lume-job on hands of a Komandirkie. While puling the hands for servicing the 2414 movement, a part of the minute-hand lume fell off.
    I serviced the movement, cleaned the case and re-conditioned the original CCCP leather strap (a Komandirskie which was issued around the '90s in Italie).
    Today I decided to re-lume the hands (and some extra) and take pictures of the job in order to share my experiences. Unfortunately my camera decided to play games with the white-balance and exposure, so the colors and exposure are all over the place. On top of that, which makes my report and picture sequence even more messy, I did three luming attemps. By the first attempt the lume color was too light, the second too dark and the third attempt was about as good as I could get it ..... but not to my satisfaction.

First picture is of the hands being scraped clean and I collected the lume for color reference.

The second picture is my Lume setup. Two strips of Rodico with the hands pinned in between. What I learned is that (as usual ) preparation is the key. The hands have to be horizontal, so the lume doesn't run to the low-side, well secured, so that they don't move during luming and the opening in the hands has to be fully free, so the lume doesn't pull against the Rodico by its capillary forces. Also the Rodico has to have a flat bottom to aid stability. A tea spoon with some coffee grains. An old crystal for mixing and an oiler. Instead of picking the coffee grains up with tweezers, I found that wetting the oiler with some binding-fluid and then pick up some coffee grains with the wet oiler works better. The coffee needs to be well mixed in the binding fluid and small parts can be presses fine against the inner-rim of the crystal. I found it hard to make the correct judgement on how much coffee to mix to obtain the right color. Once the binding fluid gets darker, it gets harder to judge whether it gets (much) darker after adding some more coffee; hence my three attempts. To the right the old lume for color reference.
    The lume solution / mix has to have a viscosity such that it starts sticking, or a small amount / droplet stays on the oiler.
    First "wet" the metal-edge around the opening of the hand, then take a bigger droplet on the oiler and pull across the hand, from one side to the other, closing the opening. The lume may pull back on its own, take some more lume and pull it close. Once nicely pulled closed, resist your temptation and keep off !!

The third and fourth picture is an attempt to show the end result. As said, my camera was playing up and the fourth picture was taken by my microscope, which has blue LED-lights ..... that wasn't a great help to show the colors either.

The last picture of the hands installed on the watch. As you can see, the problem with coffee lume is that the lume gets darker, brownish. The old lume however, as you can compare with the hour lume-dots, has turned darker and more brown/yellowish.
    This color I couldn't mimic with the coffee trick

Perhaps the next time I have to add some curry or Kurkuma powder

So, yes the hands became off-white and towards the old lume, but I'm not fully happy with the end result ....... in this case! There may be occasions whereby coffee will do the trick ?

Anyway, these were my experiences, some do's & don'ts and I hope it adds to the learning curve .......

Excellent write up EndeavourDK. It seems to work very well and I appreciate you taking the time to write up this account with details of the technique used. It is always useful to know the small details.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekondtime View Post
    Excellent write up EndeavourDK. It seems to work very well and I appreciate you taking the time to write up this account with details of the technique used. It is always useful to know the small details.
    Thank you

Yes, I like to share information so we can all learn; the good and (perhaps more importantly) the bad or failures.
    The WRT-forum (Watch-Repair-Talk) they have a special thread called "Walk throughs", where projects like these, or servicing a watch from A-Z were described. Unfortunate that thread has become fully cluttered and very good information has snowed under with all kinds of BS. Moderators do have to be really on top of it to keep that thread "clean". If kept clean, it's a very rich recourse / database for everybody to read, to learn and to enjoy.

Information like this, and info from others, about re-luming or other interesting / educational material sinks slowly away under, in this case, a general thread header, hard to be found again. I haven't found a "Walkthrough"-thread on WUS. If there is one, or we would make one, I could transfer some of my WRT write-ups to that thread. But as said, moderators have to keep that thread clean and I don't know WUS well enough who can do this, or is willing to do that and keeps doing that?

Anyway, the good news is that the watch was a pleasure to look at during the night. At least an "old" lume which actually works very well ! I hardly caught any sleep last night
    Last edited by EndeavourDK; March 19th, 2019 at 09:26. Reason: Spelling
    Abuyan and maped like this.

EndeavourDK, your posts have been inspiring! Been too busy lately to participate and experiment, but thank you for keeping this excellent thread alive and kicking!
    Can't wait to find some time for reluming excercises
    Ivan
    EndeavourDK likes this.

Page 29 of 76 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast

Thread Information