Before & After ✨ - Page 30
Like Tree1562Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 30 of 76 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

I have seen a Vostok Paratrooper (VDV) Komandirskie, which I believe is a genuine issue, but not often seen on the market. When two mint NOS VDV dials turned up, it was for me a sign to create that watch from all genuine components. The challenge and fun was that it required nearly all the watch-skills I have learned so far.
    Picture #1, taken of the internet, shows the watch which I was after and believe to be a genuine issue.
    Picture #2 the mint NOS VDV dial.

The housing (picture #3) was found in a Franken watch. It had a copper-color bezel & case and therefore needed to be re-plated. First a night in HCL, thereafter some fine polishing and through the re-plating process (picture#4). I do have chrome, but that is no high-gloss, so it became nickel instead.

The crystal had, unlike with the modern Komandirskie cases, a tension ring. So far I haven't been able to source NOS Komandirskie crystals with a groove for the tension ring. One can use the Amphibian crystals, but they are 3mm thick vs the 2mm of a genuine Komandirskie crystall. So the original crystal had to be saved and polished. I use "case-mandrels" and an electrical drill to speed up the process.

The bezel had to be re-plated and subsequently colored in. A system which works for me is using spray paint (picture #5). A small amount of paint in a plastic container and with a fine brush filling the numbers / holes till the brim. The thinner will evaporate leaving a nice layer of pigments on the bottom. If some paint runs over / is spilled over the top, wait about 5-6 hours for the paint to sink in the number / hole before removing the excess on top. I used terpetine or white-spirit on a cloth tightly wrapped around a finger tip, so only the top-edge is cleaned and not touching the paint inside.

As for luming the hands (picture #6); to match the color with the dial hour lume-dots, next to the instant coffee grains to achieve the "browning", I now discovered that the ink-filling of a yellow color-ball pen does an excellent job to bring in the required "yellow-aging". One needs, just like with the coffee, only very tiny amounts. The combined two colors do mimic a wide range of aged lume colors. The amount of each color has be empirically established ........
    In this case, since the dial was in such a great condition, only very little of both were required to achieve a match. However, it needed some coloring as pure white lume was an obvious mismatch.

Obviously a whole 2414 movement had to be stripped, cleaned, oiled, assembled and adjusted.

Picture #7 the end result. One could call it a Franken, but it is build with original parts from the correct period. It currently runs about +5 s/d and it looks better than on the picture.

Anyway, see for yourself
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by EndeavourDK; May 30th, 2019 at 11:21. Reason: Spelling
    Abuyan, Kamburov, 24h and 9 others like this.

It has taken me some time to get around to posting a comment but well done EndeavourDK; the result has integrity.

I think the enamelling of the colours on the bezel has worked well. It is interesting to see your plating baths and electrodes. Maybe you could run through the process and materials for us?

I will be posting the results of a citric acid test in the next couple of days. I am just putting together some of the photos and text.

Sekondtime

Quote Originally Posted by Sekondtime View Post
    It has taken me some time to get around to posting a comment but well done EndeavourDK; the result has integrity.

I think the enamelling of the colours on the bezel has worked well. It is interesting to see your plating baths and electrodes. Maybe you could run through the process and materials for us?

I will be posting the results of a citric acid test in the next couple of days. I am just putting together some of the photos and text.

Sekondtime
    Thank you and sure; a few years back I wrote my plating "endeavour" down in a thread on the "Watch Repair Talk" (WRT)-forum. It has become a bit of a long thread, but it contains the whole journey and "tons" of information.
    Enjoy: https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topi...lating-project
    Last edited by EndeavourDK; June 3rd, 2019 at 14:38. Reason: Spelling
    Sekondtime likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

EneavourDK, I too have been too busy lately to post, but I've been admiring your restortions, attention to detail and pro approach, and most importantly - beautiful results.
    Thanks for sharing your work, comrade!
    Ivan
    EndeavourDK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    Thank you and sure; a few years back I wrote my plating "endeavour" down in a thread on the "Watch Repair Talk" (WRT)-forum. It has become a bit of a long thread, but it contains the whole journey and "tons" of information.
    Enjoy: https://www.watchrepairtalk.com/topi...lating-project
    Wow! That plating process was quite a journey. Lot's of experimentation but fascinating. I admire your persistence.

Thanks.

Sekondtime

The Citric Acid Experiments

Following Kamburovs experiments with his green magic liquid available in Bulgaria some time ago in this thread, I said that I was going to try citric acid. So, over the last few months, I found some suitable candidates on which to experiment.

Citric acid is a weak organic acid that has the chemical formula C6H8O7. It occurs naturally in citrus fruits. Commercially available citric acid is produced chemically.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	Citric Acid Crystals Box.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	14204121

Citric Acid has a variety of uses such as descaling kettles, irons and coffee machines etc, and sterilising. It is also used in food preparation to make things taste tangier and in wine making it is used to adjust acidity. It is even used in cosmetics.

Experiment No. 1 Ruhla Dial

Name:	IMG_20190225_193016537.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	516.2 KB
ID:	14204123

The dial was discoloured around the top right quarter and on investigation this was probably the result of rust and water staining. You can see the staining around the entire edge of the dial in particular and also inside the watch case itself.

Name:	IMG_20190225_193410964.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	521.4 KB
ID:	14204125Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMG_20190225_201715433.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	14204127

Using citric acid crystals in a warm water solution (Quantity: just enough crystals to cover the bottom of a spray can cap) I dipped a cotton bud in the solution, squeezed out the excess and rubbed/rolled over the dial. I kept doing this for quite a while until I could see the dirt and staining reduce. This is the result immediately after this process.

Name:	IMG_20190225_200727612.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	462.0 KB
ID:	14204149

Notice that the dial has a bit of a sheen to it. This is probably the effect of the citric acid solution removing a very thin surface layer of paint from the dial but not enough to do any damage. The important thing is that is did not remove the numbering and wording on the dial. I was cleaning it for a good ten minutes or more so, it would take a lot of time to start to affect the printed numbers etc. However, Ruhla dials are more robust than most. I think there are some dials which would not accept the same amount of work.

The hands on this watch were painted black (see above) but these were in poor condition; probably as a result of the moisture. So, I dipped them into a cold solution of citric acid to see what effect it would have. I left them longer than intended (about 10-15 minutes) as I was reassembling another movement. The result was the complete removal of the black paint. But, they were now ready for repainting with no effort on my part!

Name:	IMG_20190225_204400179.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	372.9 KB
ID:	14204175

Experiment No. 2

A 1965 Ruhla Calibre 24 watch case. This Ruhla watch was cheap as chips and was sold as not working. I thought it would be good for spares but on inspection, the dial and the movement were in very good condition. The movement was indeed working fine. So, I decided to restore it instead. The case was a prime candidate for a citric acid experiment. The gold plating was entirely worn away and the case is brass which tarnishes. Seller's photos.

Name:	UMF Ruhla 1965 - Seller Photo.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	397.3 KB
ID:	14204187Click image for larger version.

Name:	UMF Ruhla 1965 - Seller Photo Reverse.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	14204189

Once disassembled, the watch case looked like this. The particles are the worst of the corrosion and gunk that I removed by hand. But there was an awful lot more in the crevices and corners of the case as well as the overall tarnish.

Name:	IMG_20190529_165252063.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	682.3 KB
ID:	14204191

Again, I used a solution of citric acid with hot water (just off the boil) and dipped the watch case into it for 15 minutes. This is the result. You can see that it is now golden but not shiny. The citric acid has removed the gunk from all the crevices of the watch case. I was impressed!

Name:	IMG_20190529_172114632.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	482.4 KB
ID:	14204193

Next, I used Brasso wadding to shine the watch case.

Name:	IMG_20190529_173224427.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	469.5 KB
ID:	14204199

I was impressed with how quickly and how much the citric acid had removed the oxidation and dirt from the watch case and with just a light polish, it looks like new. The results on the back of the watch case are much better than expected and this is often one of the most difficult places to clean conventionally.

Name:	IMG_20190529_173230242.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	504.5 KB
ID:	14204201

This is the finished product.

Name:  IMGP1386 s.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  29.6 KBName:  IMGP1394 s.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  31.9 KBName:  IMGP1400 s.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  36.1 KB

So, would I use citric acid solution again? Definitely, for the right job! It is also cheap, readily available and if used properly, not harmful.

Sekondtime

Fantastic results
    I've still got lots of citric acid, used for making elderberry juice. Have to give it a try. If it's good for a watch, it must be good for me .... or was it the other way around ?

Thanks for sharing !!!!
    Last edited by EndeavourDK; June 5th, 2019 at 07:48.
    Sekondtime likes this.

Fantastic results
    I've still got lots of citric acid, used for making elderberry juice. Have to give it a try. If it's good for a watch, it must be good for me .... or was it the other way around ?

Thanks for sharing !!!!
    Thanks. I have a couple more Ruhlas lined up for the same treatment.

It will be interesting to see what results you get.

Fantastic results

Thanks for sharing !!!!
    Thanks. I have a couple more Ruhlas lined up for the same treatment.

It will be interesting to see what results you get.

I'll use this thread to upload some pics for EndeavourDK.

The date albatros dial I started with
    Name:  1.JPG
Views: 106
Size:  2.69 MB

and the restored complete watch I ended up with
    Name:  6.JPG
Views: 104
Size:  3.38 MB

Another restored amfibia, that I like for the good readability of the dial. It also started as a dial only, a present from a russian Ebay seller. I had the rest in my spares box.
    Name:  7.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  3.59 MBName:  7.JPG
Views: 103
Size:  3.59 MB

I ordered a new date dial version (31j) for a new modded combo, that will be more appropriate for the amfibia modding thread. We'll see how that goes.
    Ivan
    haha, EndeavourDK, Avidfan and 2 others like this.

Page 30 of 76 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 ... LastLast

Thread Information