Before & After ✨ - Page 32
Like Tree1567Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 32 of 76 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

Quote Originally Posted by mr_grey View Post
    The hands don't look like they can be relumed they are hollow and the number markings are all just shiny metal.
    The hand are "hollow" so a luminous paste can be applied on the backside of the hands which than "shines" through the opening in the hands. Like in the pictures below, which I picked off the internet, the hands are lumed but the dial not. Your dial is fine and supposed to be like it is. Perhaps some cadets came with no lume on their hands, but I suspect the lume, or paint, has come off through the years or it has been removed.
    As said, if you like the watch as it is, not to worry and just enjoy it
    With or without lume on the hands, the watch will run the same and give you the same time
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by EndeavourDK; June 30th, 2019 at 13:47.

With a little touch and the lume of the hour-hand came off as well, so all the hands had to be re-lumed. The old lume was very creamy yellowish.
    Of course to get the new lume 100% identical and to fake the real aging color is very hard, but I like to think that with the coffee- & yellow-ink trick one can get reasonably close .....
    Pictures before & after are take under scrutinizing light .....
    BTW, reading the word "Anti-magnetic" & "17-jewels" one could think that the picture is a bit blur, but the letters are printed slightly "double"

psco78, EPK, Avidfan and 2 others like this.
    “The more I read & learn, the more I realize how little I know. And even what I think I know, I start to doubt"

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    With a little touch and the lume of the hour-hand came off as well, so all the hands had to be re-lumed. The old lume was very creamy yellowish.
    Of course to get the new lume 100% identical and to fake the real aging color is very hard, but I like to think that with the coffee- & yellow-ink trick one can get reasonably close .....
    Pictures before & after are take under scrutinizing light .....
    BTW, reading the word "Anti-magnetic" & "17-jewels" one could think that the picture is a bit blur, but the letters are printed slightly "double"
    That's nicely done! The colour of the hands fits the original lume pips quite well.
    Do you notice a lot of difference in lume intensity between the old and new?
    EndeavourDK likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by psco78 View Post
    That's nicely done! The colour of the hands fits the original lume pips quite well.
    Do you notice a lot of difference in lume intensity between the old and new?
    Thank you
    Yes, obviously the dial stays "death", but the hands perform during the night very well
    psco78 likes this.
    “The more I read & learn, the more I realize how little I know. And even what I think I know, I start to doubt"

I've been postponing doing this since I didn't quite know how to and there isn't much information on YouTube about mixing old-color lume and applying it on a flat dial either. A while ago I received a tip from comrade Kamburov to use Embossing pens which I ordered from our Chinese eBay friends.
    I had an old dial with some hour lume dots missing or chipped off and I took all the remaining lume off, leaving the white dots which seems to be underneath the lume on more dials.
    To avoid any color differences between the hour-dots lume color and the color of the hands, I prepared a set of (in this case Komandirskie, the dial came out of a type 33 Komandirskie housing) hands as well. With the setup ready (dial on some Rodico for stability) I mixed the "Soviet-color" lume-slurry, consisting of the binding fluid, yellow ink, instant coffee and the white lume powder.
    Applying the lume on the hands, as per described earlier in this thread, using an old oiler.
    Which embossing ball size to use is hard to recommend. First and foremost it depends on the size of the original lume-dots and secondly on the thickness of the lume-slurry. It's one of those try & error things. I've been practicing on an old dial first to get a rough idea and in this case I've been using the two mid-range ball sizes. Just after applying the lume-dot, it is very easy to wipe the lume off and retry if not happy with the looks of it (I should have redone the dot at the hour mark "1")
    I'm still not happy with the colors I can achieve. The yellow ink is too much "Neon"-yellow and I need to find something more "beige yellow". So the results below aren't going to be used, but are more to show my first "endeavour"
    I'm sure that if I can get the color right and with some more practice, re-luming a dial (plus the associated hands) is doable ......
    Also, for the hands you want a lume-slurry which flows, but perhaps a slightly thicker slurry (by just waiting for the slurry to thicken) for the hour dots to give them some more "body" and get a more defined edge ...... it all requires more practice and more try & error ....

Picture #1: all prepared.
    Picture #2: lume applied.
    Picture #3: Dial & hands.
    Picture #4: The embossing pens which I used with the silicone grips.

Last edited by EndeavourDK; July 29th, 2019 at 18:15.
    24h, Sekondtime, Kamburov and 1 others like this.

Nicely done!
    EndeavourDK likes this.

Nothing special but still let me share what I’ve got. Picked this Rubin for 5.50$. As you can see the dial is beyond repair (at least beyond my skills [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/IMG]). Given this is somewhat rare watch I decided to at least do what I can. Hands are cleaned and painted with my wife’s nail polish. Color is Ok but this is what she has. I am not buying a diff one 🙂. Not sure what was on the hands before. Something purple???

Inside as you can see the movement was held with 2 fragments of the plastic wire insulation. I had put a proper bracket. It is missing 1 ‘leg’ but will do for now.

Movement is surprisingly strong. Keeps time.
    I did a cleaning and oiling. Keyless work had a few teeth missing (cause the cannon pinion was clogged with dirt and very tight) so had to replace 1 cog. Now it is smooooth....

I do have a question what this watch should have a shockproof balance or not. In the catalog it is NOT mentioned, but the image in the catalog looks like with the incablock. What do you say?

Given the condition of the watch and the price I paid, I am happy. At least for now.

Kamburov and borgil like this.

Good job! Considering the "before" condition. You're right, the dial is beyond repair.
    I don't know what year they started producing the shockproof ballance, but this one was probably a non shockproof originally.
    Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    Good job! Considering the "before" condition. You're right, the dial is beyond repair.
    I don't know what year they started producing the shockproof ballance, but this one was probably a non shockproof originally.
    Ivan
    Yep. I have a few broken Saturns coming. Will swap a balance from there so will have 2604 as in catalog
    Kamburov likes this.

Excellent work Odessa200. I think that considering the cost and state of the original, your restoration is both sympathetic and realistic. Maybe one day, you will find a better dial.

What did you soak the hands in to clean them?

Sekondtime

Page 32 of 76 FirstFirst ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Thread Information