Before & After ✨ - Page 33
Like Tree1562Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 33 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekondtime View Post
    Excellent work Odessa200. I think that considering the cost and state of the original, your restoration is both sympathetic and realistic. Maybe one day, you will find a better dial.

What did you soak the hands in to clean them?

Sekondtime
    Thanks for the kind words. I always try to do as little as possible. It looks better in this vintage state that may if you overdo cleaning.

1st I used rubbing alcohol. That is what diluted that blue ink or something. Then I used nail polish remover.
    Sekondtime likes this.

Re: Before & After ✨

This is a recently acquired Ruhla calibre 24 made which was made between 27th April - 3rd May 1964. The dial was somewhat discoloured and so it became another candidate for some citric acid solution treatment.

Before (left), After (Right)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	UMF 1964 Before and After Dial 2.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	162.6 KB 
ID:	14390073

The finished product. The background is from a book which was a promotional book for the 15th Anniversary of the GDR in 1964. The article is entitled "Order at our border". This was less than three years since the Berlin wall was built. The photo shows US Vice President Richard Nixon having his passport examined by an East German Border Guard as he crosses into East Berlin to meet ordinary GDR Citizens. There is more information about Richard Nixon's visits to East Berlin on the Richard Nixon Foundation Website: https://www.nixonfoundation.org/2014...lin-agreement/

Name:  IMGP1734 (2a).JPG
Views: 85
Size:  345.9 KBName:  1437153158415_RN-in-East-Berlin-560x577.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  55.2 KB

Name:  IMGP1737 (2a).JPG
Views: 92
Size:  287.3 KBName:  IMGP1742 (2a).JPG
Views: 89
Size:  365.2 KBName:  Nixon behind the iron curtain.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  92.1 KB

Sekondtime

This is a recently acquired Ruhla calibre 24 made which was made between 27th April - 3rd May 1964. The dial was somewhat discoloured and so it became another candidate for some citric acid solution treatment.

The finished product. The background is from a book which was a promotional book for the 15th Anniversary of the GDR in 1964. The article is entitled "Order at our border". This was less than three years since the Berlin wall was built. The photo shows US Vice President Richard Nixon having his passport examined by an East German Border Guard as he crosses into East Berlin to meet ordinary GDR Citizens. There is more information about Richard Nixon's visits to East Berlin on the Richard Nixon Foundation Website: https://www.nixonfoundation.org/2014...lin-agreement/

Sekondtime
    Ausgezeichnet! The things you do with Ruhla
    You got that result with citric acid? This dial took it quite well!
    Very stylish model! What time did they start signing "made in DDR" instead of Germany?
    Ivan

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Name:  IMGP1734 (2a).JPG
Views: 85
Size:  345.9 KBName:  1437153158415_RN-in-East-Berlin-560x577.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  55.2 KB

Name:  IMGP1737 (2a).JPG
Views: 92
Size:  287.3 KBName:  IMGP1742 (2a).JPG
Views: 89
Size:  365.2 KBName:  Nixon behind the iron curtain.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  92.1 KB

Sekondtime
    This is fantastic! Please teach me, Master!
    How do I do that? How much? How long? What kind of dials? Any tip is appreciated!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    Ausgezeichnet! The things you do with Ruhla
    You got that result with citric acid? This dial took it quite well!
    Very stylish model! What time did they start signing "made in DDR" instead of Germany?
    Ivan
    Danke Genosse Ivan!

Yes, this result was through the use of a citric acid solution. It doesn't take a lot of citric acid crystals or time to get the result. About 10 to 15 minutes work.

The wording changed from "Made in Germany" to "Made in GDR" in 1973 when the GDR was recognised by the United Nations.

Sekondtime

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    How do I do that? How much? How long? What kind of dials? Any tip is appreciated!!!
    Thank you Odessa200. This is actually a relatively new process inspired by Kamburov's magic green liquid. There was no magic green liquid readily available here so I looked for an alternative.

There are more details about technique and quantities in the following post in this thread.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/be...l#post49075355

Sekondtime

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    Thank you Odessa200. This is actually a relatively new process inspired by Kamburov's magic green liquid. There was no magic green liquid readily available here so I looked for an alternative.

There are more details about technique and quantities in the following post in this thread.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/be...l#post49075355

Sekondtime
    Thanks! Will give it a try one day!

Danke Genosse Ivan!

Yes, this result was through the use of a citric acid solution. It doesn't take a lot of citric acid crystals or time to get the result. About 10 to 15 minutes work.

The wording changed from "Made in Germany" to "Made in GDR" in 1973 when the GDR was recognised by the United Nations.

Sekondtime
    I guess it's a matter of proportions and technique, and you obviously got it just right! When I experimented with it, I must have poured too many crystals, and the solution was too strong. It was a fail for me, glad you made it work.
    A clean design, white dial like this is always a good challenge, but also very rewarding when you achieve a result like this. The Ruhla dial seems to be of excellent quality, to allow for such a clean without any loss of print or paint.
    I didn't know DDR got printed so late!

Danke Genosse Ivan!

Sekondtime
    Thanks a lot, this is the answer to the big question I had regarding my Ruhla :

So produced at some point up until 1973 and a true Eastern Bloc watch. Very happy to get confirmation of that!
    Kamburov likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by thewatchadude View Post
    Thanks a lot, this is the answer to the big question I had regarding my Ruhla :

So produced at some point up until 1973 and a true Eastern Bloc watch. Very happy to get confirmation of that!
    Pleased to have solved your question! These waterproof watches were made for a short period around 1969/1970. I have one too.

Name:  ruhla-divers-watch.jpg
Views: 69
Size:  269.1 KB

Page 33 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 ... LastLast

Thread Information