Before & After ✨ - Page 34
Like Tree1562Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 34 of 76 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    I guess it's a matter of proportions and technique, and you obviously got it just right! When I experimented with it, I must have poured too many crystals, and the solution was too strong. It was a fail for me, glad you made it work.
    A clean design, white dial like this is always a good challenge, but also very rewarding when you achieve a result like this. The Ruhla dial seems to be of excellent quality, to allow for such a clean without any loss of print or paint.
    I didn't know DDR got printed so late!
    You only need a very small amount of the citric acid crystals in a small container. I use a spray can lid. To illustrate the quantity I use, see below:

Amount of crystals: just enough to half cover the bottom of the lid.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190817_140039750 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	687.3 KB 
ID:	14397201

Diameter of the lid is 5cms

Name:	IMG_20190817_140303025 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	714.2 KB 
ID:	14397205

Height of the lid is 4.5cms

Name:	IMG_20190817_140210610 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	630.6 KB 
ID:	14397213

Only fill to about half way with warm water. Allow the crystals to dissolve. Use a cotton bud to apply the solution to the dial by gently rubbing it across the dial. This is enough to do several dials.

However, as a word of caution, using this method will not be suitable for all dials just those with particular paint finishes. There is no guarantee that the numeral or minute markings will not be affected by such cleaning. It will all depend on the original paint, how it was applied at the factory and how the markings were applied. For example, markings that were applied using transfers will probably not be suitable for this method.

Sekondtime

A few days I had posted that I got a few old watches for cheap but in bad state. Today I am happy to report that one of them is back in service. The watch was super dirty as you can see. This is the gasoline after soaking the movement parts in it. And the paper where the parts were siting before cleaning 🙂

After the service I have 0.7 secs beat error (that I an not bothered about) and +- a few secs depending on position. I am happy.

On the outside, after I scrubbed the dirt off, the watch looks nicely vintage. It is heavily used, loss of chrome, etc. but given it is 10$ purchase I like it. What do you say?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bravo! I think that's brilliant for $10. I think it retains just the right amount of vintage patina.

Sekondtime

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Sekondtime View Post
    Bravo! I think that's brilliant for $10. I think it retains just the right amount of vintage patina.

Sekondtime
    Thanks. You are too kind 🙂
    Sekondtime likes this.

This is just a brief before and after of a MIR 17B alarm clock which was made in the 1st quarter of 1961. I acquired the clock for the modest sum of $12 delivered.

As you can see from the before photos, there was not much paint on the casing or the bell casing at the back. Both should have the pearl/marble effect paint finish. There were still some traces of it inside the bell casing and under the alarm button on the top.

Name:	MIR Clock Before (1).jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	14428633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MIR Clock Before (2).jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	14428635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MIR Clock Before (3).jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	14428637

Having disassembled the clock, I hunted around for some materials to paint the case. I first painted the case black and then put some light coats of a metallic copper over the top. This has the effect of darkening the copper colour slightly which was the colour I was trying to achieve. The bell casing is painted a Champagne colour. I think the two go together.

They are not authentic colours but I though the clock was a little too far gone for an authentic restoration. It has some lume missing on the minute hand and the two feet are odd, one white, one cream and slightly different sizes. So, I felt it would benefit from a tidying up.

Here it is after some paintwork.

Name:	MIR Clock After (1).JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	14428651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MIR Clock After (3).JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	14428653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MIR Clock After (2).JPG 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	14428655

The movement works perfectly and keeps time. The alarm mechanism was working but not engaging when the hour hand met the alarm hand. A slight adjustment and lots of testing solved that problem.

Sekondtime

This is just a brief before and after of a MIR 17B alarm clock which was made in the 1st quarter of 1961. I acquired the clock for the modest sum of $12 delivered.

As you can see from the before photos, there was not much paint on the casing or the bell casing at the back. Both should have the pearl/marble effect paint finish. There were still some traces of it inside the bell casing and under the alarm button on the top.

Having disassembled the clock, I hunted around for some materials to paint the case. I first painted the case black and then put some light coats of a metallic copper over the top. This has the effect of darkening the copper colour slightly which was the colour I was trying to achieve. The bell casing is painted a Champagne colour. I think the two go together.
    Bravo, it's amazing! As I have many clocks, and some of them not in very good condition, you gave me great idea!

This 'trick' with darkening copper works, and gives much better, non-monotonous effect. These colours do go together.

They are not authentic colours but I though the clock was a little too far gone for an authentic restoration. It has some lume missing on the minute hand and the two feet are odd, one white, one cream and slightly different sizes. So, I felt it would benefit from a tidying up.

The movement works perfectly and keeps time. The alarm mechanism was working but not engaging when the hour hand met the alarm hand. A slight adjustment and lots of testing solved that problem.

Sekondtime
    Not only that it looks preserved now, it is an evidence of your artistic work as well.

May not be authentic look, but everything is better than how it was when you bought it.
    -- Mimi --

A song that is a joy for ears, by Booker T. Jones

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBN41lm1AF8

Name:	MIR Clock Before (1).jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	73.2 KB 
ID:	14428633Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MIR Clock Before (2).jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	14428635Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MIR Clock Before (3).jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	14428637

Name:	MIR Clock After (1).JPG 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	14428651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MIR Clock After (3).JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	14428653Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MIR Clock After (2).JPG 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	14428655

Sekondtime
    This is sooooo cool. Once in a while I am thinking about starting clocks collection but I manage to control myself. For now. But this is soooo cool.

Beautiful restorations, comrades!
    Odessa, that is a very nice military looking watch. I'm still missing a zvezda Pobeda in my collection.
    Secondtime, this is a jawdropping, crafty restoration! Aren't the doved mirs connected to the youth festival Dashiell is so fond of?
    Name:  images.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  20.9 KB

his example
    https://mroatman.wixsite.com/watches...aItem-immwu441

Looks like you had some quality time restoring that clock!
    Ivan
    Last edited by Kamburov; August 29th, 2019 at 19:52.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyOrange View Post
    Bravo, it's amazing! As I have many clocks, and some of them not in very good condition, you gave me great idea!

This 'trick' with darkening copper works, and gives much better, non-monotonous effect. These colours do go together.

Not only that it looks preserved now, it is an evidence of your artistic work as well.

May not be authentic look, but everything is better than how it was when you bought it.
    Thank you SunnyOrange! It is good to know that my colour sense is working well!

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    This is sooooo cool. Once in a while I am thinking about starting clocks collection but I manage to control myself. For now. But this is soooo cool.
    Thanks Odessa200. I think that shortly, I am about to shove some temptation your way. I am preparing a new page for my Sekondtime website that may be of interest to you.

Page 34 of 76 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 ... LastLast

Thread Information