Before & After ✨ - Page 38
Like Tree1562Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 38 of 76 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

Congrats. Another great job on a very complicated kind of dial !
    AaParker likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    Thanks, I will I ordered it 5 minutes after I posted.
    I'm not worried about the movement, but yeah, I was wondering about dismantling the case. Hopefully I won't brake or bend something.
    This is going to be a different kind of fun.
    Ivan
    I knew you would order it! Disassembling the case is very easy. It can be done in 2 minutes.

Looking forward to seeing a revitalised MIR clock.

Sekondtime

I got the Mir clock this morning, and since it's a day off work started planning some quality time with it. On my way home I received a phone call from the post office that changed my plans for the day.
    A week ago, while sitting bored at home, I became curious about the antimagnetic Raketa, so I got on the Ebay and bought the two cheapest antimagnetic ones that looked authentic. The first was $12, non working for parts/repair, but had the right attributes.
    Name:  1.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  238.1 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  294.4 KB

There's the obvious problem with the ballance and a missing seconds hand, but that's ok.
    After I bought this one I thought "What if this is beyond repair? It will be so unsatisfying!", so I bought the next cheapest thing I saw for $20
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  302.5 KB

Much better dial, right? My satisfaction was double protected now.

Anyway, the call from the post office was for collecting the first one. At home I took it apart to make a list of the problems and missing parts.
    Name:  6.JPG
Size:  2.42 MB

Problems:
    1. The ballance, suprisingly, turned out to be ok. The regulating things (terminology not my strongest area) have got unhooked from the ballance bridge, so I just gently put them back on. No twisting or bending on the ballance spring. Cool!
    2. The movement still not working, so I took it all apart, just to find out there's a jewel missing on the pallet fork (there's some terminology). Replaced it, cleaned the rest and put it back together. It's alive!
    3. Dial had a broken foot, so that got superglued back on
    Name:  8.JPG
Views: 57
Size:  2.18 MB

4. Missing seconds hand. That got sorted too
    Name:  7.JPG
Size:  2.38 MB

5. The crystal fell apart when I took it off, but I managed to find a good original replacement. The advantage of piling so much junk over the years.

After having a good lunch, while waiting for the dial glue and hands paint to dry...
    Name:  9.JPG
Size:  2.07 MB

...I put everything back together, and
    Name:  10.JPG
Size:  3.63 MB

It's loosing a minute in two hours, but I haven't done a propper regulation yet. I can't do anything else about the dial, though. It's what it is, and I still like it. Another one back from the dead.
    The other one has a better potential, and I had a good practice now.
    Ivan

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Not a "before & After" I was hoping for, but at least now it's done.
    This 1969 Komandirskie was "none-runner", that is to say it ran for a few seconds and stopped again. It all seemed original and for $20 I didn't mind giving it a go.
    I was hoping for that I was able to remove some on the "stain" on the dial, but after having tried soapy water, Zippo lighter fluid and citric acid it became pretty evident that the discoloring was underneath the lacquer and was caused by natural aging.
    The gold-plated case was briefly (1 minute) dipped in an ammonia solution and the ammonia took the lackluster away. The crystal could be saved by polishing.
    The 2214 movement (with hacking feature) was very dirty and the hairspring quite deformed. Cleaned the movement and sorted out the hairspring. However even after 3x disassembling, cleaning and pegging of the jewels and pivots I couldn't get the amplitude above the 200 degrees. The exit-pallet of the pallet-fork had a deep draw, causing an amplitude loss while unlocking by the balance. Tried many other forks and swapped the original fork for one with a less deep draw, but still the amplitude is not to write home about ..... Perhaps in time it will creep up a bit more

Anyway; Mr.Voevoda's watch, which he received in 1969 for his achievements from the commanders of military unit 62957 has been brought back to life What is left is to find a nice leather strap to compliment the watch and to give it some wrist time

Two pictures before, followed by two after shots and the current timegrapher screen with dial up;
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by EndeavourDK; September 3rd, 2019 at 18:45.
    “The more I read & learn, the more I realize how little I know. And even what I think I know, I start to doubt"

I got the Mir clock this morning, and since it's a day off work started planning some quality time with it. On my way home I received a phone call from the post office that changed my plans for the day.
    A week ago, while sitting bored at home, I became curious about the antimagnetic Raketa, so I got on the Ebay and bought the two cheapest antimagnetic ones that looked authentic. The first was $12, non working for parts/repair, but had the right attributes.
    Name:  1.jpg
Size:  238.1 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Size:  294.4 KB

There's the obvious problem with the ballance and a missing seconds hand, but that's ok.
    After I bought this one I thought "What if this is beyond repair? It will be so unsatisfying!", so I bought the next cheapest thing I saw for $20
    Name:  4.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  302.5 KB

Much better dial, right? My satisfaction was double protected now.

Anyway, the call from the post office was for collecting the first one. At home I took it apart to make a list of the problems and missing parts.
    Name:  6.JPG
Size:  2.42 MB

Problems:
    1. The ballance, suprisingly, turned out to be ok. The regulating things (terminology not my strongest area) have got unhooked from the ballance bridge, so I just gently put them back on. No twisting or bending on the ballance spring. Cool!
    2. The movement still not working, so I took it all apart, just to find out there's a jewel missing on the pallet fork (there's some terminology). Replaced it, cleaned the rest and put it back together. It's alive!
    3. Dial had a broken foot, so that got superglued back on
    Name:  8.JPG
Size:  2.18 MB

4. Missing seconds hand. That got sorted too
    Name:  7.JPG
Size:  2.38 MB

5. The crystal fell apart when I took it off, but I managed to find a good original replacement. The advantage of piling so much junk over the years.

After having a good lunch, while waiting for the dial glue and hands paint to dry...
    Name:  9.JPG
Size:  2.07 MB

...I put everything back together, and
    Name:  10.JPG
Size:  3.63 MB

It's loosing a minute in two hours, but I haven't done a propper regulation yet. I can't do anything else about the dial, though. It's what it is, and I still like it. Another one back from the dead.
    The other one has a better potential, and I had a good practice now.
    Ivan
    Nice vintage look! I would try to ‘age’ the new paint on the hands a bit to better match the dial. But that is just me...

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    Nice vintage look! I would try to ‘age’ the new paint on the hands a bit to better match the dial. But that is just me...
    Thanks, Odessa! It's not just you, thought of giving them EndeavourDK's instant cofee treatment too When cleaning the dial the white looked white enough to skip the step. It's after I posted here I and took the watch out to the groceries, that I noticed the difference. The acryllic paint I use is very easy to redo. Not doday, though, I'm having a drink now :)
    EndeavourDK, that's a very nice Komandirskie! Nevermind the spot, it's just the way it aged, and it adds to the uniqueness of the watch. Did you try another ballance, or you are sure it's the fork?
    Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    Not a "before & After" I was hoping for, but at least now it's done.
    This 1969 Komandirskie was "none-runner", that is to say it ran for a few seconds and stopped again. It all seemed original and for $20 I didn't mind giving it a go.
    I was hoping for that I was able to remove some on the "stain" on the dial, but after having tried soapy water, Zippo lighter fluid and citric acid it became pretty evident that the discoloring was underneath the lacquer and was caused by natural aging.
    The gold-plated case was briefly (1 minute) dipped in an ammonia solution and the ammonia took the lackluster away. The crystal could be saved by polishing.
    The 2214 movement (with hacking feature) was very dirty and the hairspring quite deformed. Cleaned the movement and sorted out the hairspring. However even after 3x disassembling, cleaning and pegging of the jewels and pivots I couldn't get the amplitude above the 200 degrees. The exit-pallet of the pallet-fork had a deep draw, causing an amplitude loss while unlocking by the balance. Tried many other forks and swapped the original fork for one with a less deep draw, but still the amplitude is not to write home about ..... Perhaps in time it will creep up a bit more

Anyway; Mr.Voevoda's watch, which he received in 1969 for his achievements from the commanders of military unit 62957 has been brought back to life What is left is to find a nice leather strap to compliment the watch and to give it some wrist time

Two pictures before, followed by two after shots and the current timegrapher screen with dial up;
    That looks great! Nice job. You mentioned using an ammonia solution and the ammonia took the lackluster away. What percent ammonia to water did you use? Thanks.

EndeavourDK, that's a very nice Komandirskie! Nevermind the spot, it's just the way it aged, and it adds to the uniqueness of the watch. Did you try another ballance, or you are sure it's the fork?
    Ivan
    It would have been nice to have brighten up the dial a bit, but since it is all natural aged, I quite like it ..... there is none dial alike
    No, I haven't tried another balance yet and if possible I like to keep the original. I for sure wasn't happy with the draw & lock, which is now with the new fork better. I'll leave the watch (which was assembled today) running and see what it does, also tonight during the date-change period. If it gets though the 24hrs okay, and the timekeeping is reasonable, I may just leave it. Another variable to throw into the amplitude-equation is the strength (or the lack of it) of the old & tired mainspring (which age is 50 years to date).

Quote Originally Posted by AaParker View Post
    That looks great! Nice job. You mentioned using an ammonia solution and the ammonia took the lackluster away. What percent ammonia to water did you use? Thanks.
    Hmmm, that went by eyeballing. I used distilled water and poured some ammonia in it. I would guesstimate 5 to 10% at the most
    AaParker and Kamburov like this.
    “The more I read & learn, the more I realize how little I know. And even what I think I know, I start to doubt"

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    It would have been nice to have brighten up the dial a bit, but since it is all natural aged, I quite like it ..... there is none dial alike
    No, I haven't tried another balance yet and if possible I like to keep the original. I for sure wasn't happy with the draw & lock, which is now with the new fork better. I'll leave the watch (which was assembled today) running and see what it does, also tonight during the date-change period. If it gets though the 24hrs okay, and the timekeeping is reasonable, I may just leave it. Another variable to throw into the amplitude-equation is the strength (or the lack of it) of the old & tired mainspring.

Hmmm, that went by eyeballing. I used distilled water and poured some ammonia in it. I would guesstimate 5 to 10% at the most
    Thank you!
    EndeavourDK likes this.

There's the second one. What I hoped to be fibres on the dial, turned out to be spots. The dial is burned to purple, and I like that. No repairs on this one, only cleaning, second hand/crown replacing, and hands painting. Used some instant coffe this time
    Name:  15.JPG
Views: 56
Size:  3.46 MB
    Name:  16.JPG
Size:  3.30 MB

Page 38 of 76 FirstFirst ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 ... LastLast

Thread Information