Before & After ✨ - Page 39
Like Tree1562Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 39 of 76 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

You are going for it Ivan, great jobs

Today I'm not sure whether to laugh or to cry .....

I bought 2x Komandirskies from comrade BPmurray, both needed repair and some hands had to be sorted out.
    After finishing the 1969 Komandirskie yesterday I decided to start on the first Komandiskie with the triangles lume. The broken movement was stripped and the parts put in a cleaning fluid for overnight soaking.
    There was something wrong with the dial lacquer layer. On the sides it had gone dark, it contained over the whole dial a lot of fibers and the lacquer was put over the lume-markers. The 3AKA3 MO CCCP on the bottom edge was mostly missing giving me the overall impression that somebody in the past has had a go at this dial.
    It would be nice if I could remove the old lacquer layer and put a new one on ..... an endeavour I've never done before
    Consulted the internet how they removed a varnish layer on old oil-paintings and white spirit (turpentine) was one of the solvents they used.

For experimental reasons I keep some scrap dials and started with a dirty brown dial. To my big surprise it worked really well !! The lacquer layer dissolved slowly, very controlled & nicely without dissolving any of the markings or the underlying color. The end-result was truly stunning !
    Could I repeat the same process on the Komandirskie dial?
    I started carefully on the edges and the process seemed to behave the same. It takes time for the lacquer to dissolved and after carefully trying around the edges I decided to wet the whole dial. The lacquer came off in the same way as with the other dial but suddenly I noticed that the markings were fainting away. I rinsed the dial with soapy water and now I'm not sure whether I'm looking at a bare metal dial-blank with everything (apart from the lume) removed () or at a dial with still the original color on it
    There is still some lacquer around the lume-edges.
    The hour-markings and lettering are still there but much less pronounced.
    In the 4th picture to Komandirskie dial happend to be in the picture together with the end result of the first trial-dial.
    Not sure what to make of it ....... did I sr*w this dial up ?? Any thoughts ......
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by EndeavourDK; September 4th, 2019 at 19:09.
    Kamburov likes this.
    “The more I read & learn, the more I realize how little I know. And even what I think I know, I start to doubt"

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    You are going for it Ivan, great jobs [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/icon_good.gif[/IMG]

I bought 2x Komandirskies from comrade BPmurray, both needed repair and some hands had to be sorted out.
    After finishing the 1969 Komandirskie yesterday I decided to start on the first Komandiskie with the triangles lume. The broken movement was stripped and the parts put in a cleaning fluid for overnight soaking.
    There was something wrong with the dial lacquer layer. On the sides it had gone dark, it contained over the whole dial a lot of fibers and the lacquer was put over the lume-markers. The 3AKA3 MO CCCP on the bottom edge was mostly missing giving me the overall impression that somebody in the past has had a go at this dial.
    It would be nice if I could remove the old lacquer layer and put a new one on ..... an endeavour I've never done before [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/rollingeyes.gif[/IMG]
    Consulted the internet how they removed a varnish layer on old oil-paintings and white spirit (turpentine) was one of the solvents they used.

For experimental reasons I keep some scrap dials and started with a dirty brown dial. To my big surprise it worked really well !! The lacquer layer dissolved slowly, very controlled & nicely without dissolving any of the markings or the underlying color. The end-result was truly stunning !
    I started carefully on the edges and the process seemed to behave the same. It takes time for the lacquer to dissolved and after carefully trying around the edges I decided to wet the whole dial. The lacquer came off in the same way as with the other dial but suddenly I noticed that the markings were fainting away. I rinsed the dial with soapy water and now I'm not sure whether I'm looking at a bare metal dial-blank with everything (apart from the lume) removed ([IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/banging.gif[/IMG]) or at a dial with still the original color on it [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/icons/confused.gif[/IMG]
    In the 4th picture to Komandirskie dial happend to be in the picture together with the end result of the first trial-dial.
    Not sure what to make of it ....... did I sr*w this dial up ?? Any thoughts ...... [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/think.gif[/IMG]
    Is it possible that these dials do not have the paint layer: just the dark lacquer (that you took off)?

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    Is it possible that these dials do not have the paint layer: just the dark lacquer (that you took off)?
    Perhaps, I've no idea Though the "darkness" has stayed about the same .....
    “The more I read & learn, the more I realize how little I know. And even what I think I know, I start to doubt"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You are going for it Ivan, great jobs

It would be nice if I could remove the old lacquer layer and put a new one on ..... an endeavour I've never done before

I started carefully on the edges and the process seemed to behave the same. It takes time for the lacquer to dissolved and after carefully trying around the edges I decided to wet the whole dial. The lacquer came off in the same way as with the other dial but suddenly I noticed that the markings were fainting away. I rinsed the dial with soapy water and now I'm not sure whether I'm looking at a bare metal dial-blank with everything (apart from the lume) removed () or at a dial with still the original color on it
    Not sure what to make of it ....... did I sr*w this dial up ?? Any thoughts ......
    Turpentine? That's a new one! Looks very promising!
    I have a good (bulgarian) friend doing professional restoration in Italy. She works in the Vatican and other high profile sites. We've never talked about restoration stuff, but maybe I should reach out. I may learn something from the real professionals
    Anyway, back to the dials. On the first one you were obviously very careful and the result is spectacular! This gave you confidence and when doing the second one you changed the application technique, and that led to a change in the result. So wat was different:
    1. The dial - even if both a similar vostok production, there may be differences in the materials used, the age and exposure to the elements. So they may react differently to the same process.
    2. The technique - quantity matters, or "quantity increase leads to quality change". I think that when I apply a cleaning substance to a dial, there is a "time window" that is long enough to take the laquer and short enough not to take the print. When I do it bit by bit I control this time window. When I go full on, and do the whole dial at once, most of it goes out of the time window and this area gets overdone. The markers on the dial are not less pronounced, some of the paint is gone. The spots that have been on the shade of the paint are more pronounced (light) than the rest of the dial that has been burnt by the sun.
    It's still a cool dial, and it will have a long life in your posession, I'm sure. My advice is - anything different, you should try it on a spare first. No matter how small that change seems.
    It's not a total damage, as some of mine Still a very good dial and watch.
    Thanks for bringing the subject up, as there's a fundamental truth, that restoration nerds like us learn the hard way - there's no magic dial cleaning liquid, as there is no philosopher's stone. As there's no chemical that kills only the mosquitos and spares the bees.
    I will deffinately try the turpentine, thanks for the tip! I lerned a great deal from you, and I know how that knowledge builds up - the hard way
    Ivan
    EndeavourDK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    Turpentine? That's a new one! Looks very promising!
    I have a good (bulgarian) friend doing professional restoration in Italy. She works in the Vatican and other high profile sites. We've never talked about restoration stuff, but maybe I should reach out. I may learn something from the real professionals
    Anyway, back to the dials. On the first one you were obviously very careful and the result is spectacular! This gave you confidence and when doing the second one you changed the application technique, and that led to a change in the result. So wat was different:
    1. The dial - even if both a similar vostok production, there may be differences in the materials used, the age and exposure to the elements. So they may react differently to the same process.
    2. The technique - quantity matters, or "quantity increase leads to quality change". I think that when I apply a cleaning substance to a dial, there is a "time window" that is long enough to take the laquer and short enough not to take the print. When I do it bit by bit I control this time window. When I go full on, and do the whole dial at once, most of it goes out of the time window and this area gets overdone. The markers on the dial are not less pronounced, some of the paint is gone. The spots that have been on the shade of the paint are more pronounced (light) than the rest of the dial that has been burnt by the sun.
    It's still a cool dial, and it will have a long life in your posession, I'm sure. My advice is - anything different, you should try it on a spare first. No matter how small that change seems.
    It's not a total damage, as some of mine Still a very good dial and watch.
    Thanks for bringing the subject up, as there's a fundamental truth, that restoration nerds like us learn the hard way - there's no magic dial cleaning liquid, as there is no philosopher's stone. As there's no chemical that kills only the mosquitos and spares the bees.
    I will deffinately try the turpentine, thanks for the tip! I lerned a great deal from you, and I know how that knowledge builds up - the hard way
    Ivan
    Thanks Ivan for the support and tips

Yes, I wanted to bring this up first to show that not every restoration attempt ends up in a happy ending (there is a thin line between a hero and a zero ) and secondly so we can all learn. It would be nice if you can ask your restoration friend as they deal with all sorts of paint & other problems. I doubt it very much if their first choice would be turpentine on a Vatican painting, I'm sure they have far more sophisticated stuff. They also do a thoroughly research on small samples before they attempt anything.
    I don't think that I changed my procedure the 2nd time that much. I also whetted the first dial at some point. Admitting, after the first results I was getting a bit smug but that has now quickly changed back to the tail between my legs ....
    Yes, I am aware the every dial can react differently, hence my initial testing around the edge of the 2nd dial .... it all seemed to react the same ....
    Whether I took some paint off the Komandirskie dial? Looking at the color on the cotton buds it appears not, they all seem to have just the lacquer color.

I was now wondering what would happen if I continue to clean the dial around the lume markers and than apply a layer of lacquer
    Turpentine doesn't seem to affect the lume and now I'm so far in, I may just as well finish the job.
    Perhaps a new lacquer layer may brighten things somewhat up again

Anyway, I knew already that dial restoration is an art and is not the be learned in a small 20-page book with "three easy lessons". That has been (again) confirmed

Will post the results in due time; whatever they may turn out to be ........
    Kamburov likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    There's the second one. What I hoped to be fibres on the dial, turned out to be spots. The dial is burned to purple, and I like that. No repairs on this one, only cleaning, second hand/crown replacing, and hands painting. Used some instant coffe this time
    Keep it out of the sun or the purple will turn brown and fade. This was the fate of so many similar colour Sekondas.

Excellent work again.

Thanks Ivan for the support and tips

Yes, I wanted to bring this up first to show that not every restoration attempt ends up in a happy ending (there is a thin line between a hero and a zero ) and secondly so we can all learn. It would be nice if you can ask your restoration friend as they deal with all sorts of paint & other problems. I doubt it very much if their first choice would be turpentine on a Vatican painting, I'm sure they have far more sophisticated stuff. They also do a thoroughly research on small samples before they attempt anything.
    I don't think that I changed my procedure the 2nd time that much. I also whetted the first dial at some point. Admitting, after the first results I was getting a bit smug but that has now quickly changed back to the tail between my legs ....
    Yes, I am aware the every dial can react differently, hence my initial testing around the edge of the 2nd dial .... it all seemed to react the same ....
    Whether I took some paint off the Komandirskie dial? Looking at the color on the cotton buds it appears not, they all seem to have just the lacquer color.

I was now wondering what would happen if I continue to clean the dial around the lume markers and than apply a layer of lacquer
    Turpentine doesn't seem to affect the lume and now I'm so far in, I may just as well finish the job.
    Perhaps a new lacquer layer may brighten things somewhat up again

Anyway, I knew already that dial restoration is an art and is not the be learned in a small 20-page book with "three easy lessons". That has been (again) confirmed

Will post the results in due time; whatever they may turn out to be ........
    I think the underlying colour had already deteriorated on the second dial which is probably why the results don't seem to be as dramatic as the first one. The first one was a good result and so it was worth having a go on the other dial. Dial restoration...you win some, you lose some!

Sekondtime

Quote Originally Posted by Sekondtime View Post
    Keep it out of the sun or the purple will turn brown and fade. This was the fate of so many similar colour Sekondas.

Excellent work again.
    They didn't get it right with that blue dye, these soviets, didn't they? That's why I got two one to collection, one for fun.
    Thanks, Secondtime!
    EndeavourDK, I wish you all the good luck and looking forward to your posts! You asked once for advice on these komandirskie, and I never got arround to writing back with a decent advice. Sorry about that! Seems you are more familliar with the stuff than I ever was One thing I'm sure about is that this lume is resiliant enough to take punishment. I cleaned the top surface with a dry contact cleaner and it took it well. Cleaned just the top without doing damage, as the dry contact cleaner evapourates quickly without leaving a trace. It is a very strong cleaner, but with a very short working time window.
    I have accepted that with restorations there's a limit to the things we can do, but you've been pushing it beyond.
    The reason I hang around here is the good company of you, guys, otherwise I wouldn't even bother taking all those photos. Also, even though I sometimes keep in touch with the OP outside the forum, I sure miss his presence here. Keeping his thread alive is one of the best things in this forum.
    Ivan
    EndeavourDK likes this.

A very minor before and after. Mostly a thank you to the forum for letting me know how to open the Moskva so I could get the dirt off the crystal. It was driving me crazy! As my mother used to say that would be a short trip, but still, thank you!

Before: Name:  Moskva Before.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  159.8 KB

After: Name:  Moskva A.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  95.5 KB

I also wanted to thank EndeavourDK for posting. We certainly don't know what the difference in the dials were, just the luck of the draw, I guess. But you inspired me to finish a project I had abandoned. I was cleaning a Poljot and I'm pretty sure I took the lacquer off, or maybe the lacquer was already mostly off, using just the most gentle pressure. I believe the dial should be more of a honey color like Mr. Oatman's example, but it is silver now. I couldn't find an example of a silver dialed one so I can only assume it got down to the base so I abandoned it. But it's still a good and useful watch, and I am going to finish it, and wear it, and enjoy it. Thank you!

Example Poljot:
    Name:  MrOatman Poljot.JPG
Size:  77.8 KB

Before:

Name:  Poljot Before.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  205.1 KB

After (and when I gave up, still more to do)

Name:  Poljot After.jpg
Size:  202.8 KB
    Last edited by AaParker; September 5th, 2019 at 20:10.

Quote Originally Posted by AaParker View Post
    A very minor before and after. Mostly a thank you to the forum for letting me know how to open the Moskva so I could get the dirt off the crystal. It was driving me crazy! As my mother used to say that would be a short trip, but still, thank you!

Before: Name:  Moskva Before.jpg
Size:  159.8 KB

After: Name:  Moskva A.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  95.5 KB

I also wanted to thank EndeavourDK for posting. We certainly don't know what the difference in the dials were, just the luck of the draw, I guess. But you inspired me to finish a project I had abandoned. I was cleaning a Poljot and I'm pretty sure I took the lacquer off, or maybe the lacquer was already mostly off, using just the most gentle pressure. I believe the dial should be more of a honey color like Mr. Oatman's example, but it is silver now. I couldn't find an example of a silver dialed one so I can only assume it got down to the base so I abandoned it. But it's still a good and useful watch, and I am going to finish it, and wear it, and enjoy it. Thank you! [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/IMG]

Example Poljot:
    Name:  MrOatman Poljot.JPG
Size:  77.8 KB

Before:

Name:  Poljot Before.jpg
Size:  205.1 KB

After:

Name:  Poljot After.jpg
Size:  202.8 KB
    Not bad! I have this Poljot. Here is the photo for the additional color reference. It is a bit of honey color.
    Attached Images Attached Images

AaParker likes this.

Page 39 of 76 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast

Thread Information