Before & After ✨ - Page 4
Like Tree1567Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 4 of 76 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 54 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

Amazing work comrades!
    And thank you for the dial cleaning tips/secrets>/techniques.
    And how about indices/indexes polishing? Any tips would be welcome. On non-painted, non-chormed ones (originally polished, e.g. the raised indices in Vostok Amphibias) that have become dull through years of neglect, I had thought about using the mildest rubber in very soft motion along the index, but I would rather wait for wiser suggestions
    Best regards and thank you
    Last edited by RFollia; October 18th, 2017 at 15:03.

Quote Originally Posted by RFollia View Post
    Amazing work comrades!
    And thank you for the dial cleaning tips/secrets>/techniques.
    And how about indices/indexes polishing? Any tips would be welcome. On non-painted, non-chormed ones (originally polished, e.g. the raised indices in Vostok Amphibias) that have become dull through years of neglect, I had thought about using the mildest rubber in very soft motion along the index, but I would rather wait for wiser suggestions
    Best regards and thank you
    Using tweezers, I tear off a tiny wad of polishing cloth (like this), then gently scrub that long the indices until desired shine is attained.

It's not abrasive enough to do serious damage -- but of course it won't remove oxidation either.

A couple months back I found this unusual diver for $8.99/delivered. It has a rare(ish) 21-jewel export movement from Moscow.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-10-12 at 13.01.27.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  288.6 KB

It arrived in somewhat worse condition than I had expected, but was still partially revived after a clean/polish/relume.

Unfortunately, the seller misplaced the movement spacer. The case on this watch is totally unique, made in France; nothing I had on hand would work as a substitute. So I had to craft one of my own. That was a first for me.

Name:  DSC03411.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  2.19 MB

Name:  DSC03417.jpg
Views: 573
Size:  2.67 MB

Before & After ✨

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 13.15.19.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  331.6 KB
    Last edited by mroatman; December 18th, 2017 at 13:18.
    Sansoni7, DJW GB, schnurrp and 9 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I love watches like that, with lots of patina. It's a beauty. All in this thread are.

I must get one myself (I'm a compulsive restorer of everything possible). I deliberately buy things like old cameras with brass showing even though I can buy not so worn versions of the same model.
    mroatman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    Unfortunately, the seller misplaced the movement spacer. The case on this watch is totally unique, made in France; nothing I had on hand would work as a substitute. So I had to craft one of my own. That was a first for me.
    Forgot the internals. My solution for the movement spacer is imperfect, but it works...

Name:  DSC03463.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  2.33 MB

Name:  DSC03464.jpg
Views: 566
Size:  2.84 MB

Name:  DSC03471.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  2.33 MB

I wonder if a thin slice of PVC water pipe might work as a spacer, suitably tidied up. Even if it was the wrong size, you could leave a slit in it at the stem and make it fit. It can also be softened in an oven at about 100 degrees C and reshaped.
    mroatman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuey63 View Post
    I wonder if a thin slice of PVC water pipe might work as a spacer, suitably tidied up. Even if it was the wrong size, you could leave a slit in it at the stem and make it fit. It can also be softened in an oven at about 100 degrees C and reshaped.
    That's a great idea. I might look into that.

The only problem with this particular design is that the spacer needs to exert force both on the movement (inward pressure) and on the case (outward pressure). This keeps the movement stationary. Unless the pipe's thickness is precisely the same as the distance between the movement and the case (and it's a pretty big gap to fill, ~3mm?), it won't secure it firmly.

But thanks for a nice suggestion -- I'll keep playing around with possibilities 👍

Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    That's a great idea. I might look into that.

The only problem with this particular design is that the spacer needs to exert force both on the movement (inward pressure) and on the case (outward pressure). This keeps the movement stationary. Unless the pipe's thickness is precisely the same as the distance between the movement and the case (and it's a pretty big gap to fill, ~3mm?), it won't secure it firmly.

But thanks for a nice suggestion -- I'll keep playing around with possibilities 
    The spacer issue that mroatman outlines above is well illustrated by Ruhla watches.

There are a number of Ruhla spacers but these are the most common.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vintage-ruhla-wrist-watch-gdr-for-project-runs-and-stops-[4]-3448-p.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	209.8 KB 
ID:	12743367Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$T2eC16RHJHUFFiuH,FnzBRc6-je(-w--60_57.JPG 
Views:	511 
Size:	387.4 KB 
ID:	12743371Name:  27xl05.jpg
Views: 494
Size:  26.5 KB

As well as acting as a spacer the tabs on the spacer ring are the feature which provides the sprung pressure against the case back (as mroatman has said) which keeps the movement tight in the case. If you do not have a spacer or do not have the correct sprung pressure on the movement dial assembly through the tabs, the movement and dial will be loose. A loose movement means that the dial scrubs and scrapes against the inside of the case around the bezel. That is why you may see excessive wear on dials around the edges. Depending on the dial finish, those dials where the paint finish is quite thick or "plastic" and delaminates; the looseness causes greater damage and flaking.

The correct sprung pressure in the tabs also produces the effect of the case back "popping" off when you prize it off the case.

So, spacers are important but so too are the tabs and just enough sprung pressure.

Sekondtime

I've been looking for this thread for so long! Quite busy right now to upload previous stuff, but will post my latest.
    Thanks to mroatman for pointing me the right direction!
    The Vimpel I got fairly cheap a week or so ago:
    Name:  46.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  160.3 KB
    Name:  37.JPG
Views: 457
Size:  3.08 MB
    Name:  38.JPG
Views: 452
Size:  2.77 MB
    Name:  47.JPG
Views: 459
Size:  1.33 MB

I couldn't fing an original low profile crystal to replace the old one, but decided to put on a Poljot de lux crystal till I get the proper one.
    Stil good enough to enjoy the watch. Thanks for looking!
    Ivan
    haha, DJW GB, bpmurray and 6 others like this.

Great job!
    Kamburov likes this.

Page 4 of 76 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 54 ... LastLast

Thread Information