Before & After ✨ - Page 41
Like Tree1567Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 41 of 76 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 410 of 759
  1. #401
    Member Odessa200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    2,193
    Hi guys. Need your advise. Got this old Saturn mainly for practicing... dirty inside out. First 3 photos show exterior, the movement before cleaning and the dial before.
    Serviced movement to the best of my ability and got it moving just fine. Left it at +2 secs face up and +3 face down. Remarkably good positional error: a few secs between each position. Beat error 4.4 but this is not adjustable balance so I left it as it. Not bothered but it in this case. Now,
    the dial was quite dirty with green rust around the perimeter. Had to be cleaned. Cleaning took away the lacquer around the edge cause it was quite damaged to begin with. You can see what I had end up with. All the black text and gold marks staying put. But the dial now is partially white partially yellowish. For now I have decided to keep it as is. You can see the end result. Questions: should I have left the dial as it was (dirty)? Should I finish it bu removing all lacquer and getting it to be white? The watch is quite beat up outside and a white dial will stand out... Should I keep it as is cause this beaten watch has a beaten (but somewhat clean) dial?
    Please share your thought. Thanks!

    And what is the lift angle on these? 44?
    Attached Images Attached Images












  2. #402
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Burgas, Bulgaria
    Posts
    1,619

    Re: Before & After ✨

    I can't say about the regulation, there are much better experts here than me.
    About the dial, though. You've done a teriffic job so far! And you've been walking a tight rope on this one. The golden parts are so tough, they can take all the cleaning in the world, but the print is quite fragile. I think you found out about that between 6 and 4. The Saturn and second markers may not take it well. Your work so far proves that it's doable, with the right amount of care and precission. You've done successfully most of the minute markers. What have you been using so far?

  3. #403
    Member Odessa200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    I can't say about the regulation, there are much better experts here than me.
    About the dial, though. You've done a teriffic job so far! And you've been walking a tight rope on this one. The golden parts are so tough, they can take all the cleaning in the world, but the print is quite fragile. I think you found out about that between 6 and 4. The Saturn and second markers may not take it well. Your work so far proves that it's doable, with the right amount of care and precission. You've done successfully most of the minute markers. What have you been using so far?
    Soap, water and my finger 🙂
    I think I will keep it as is for now. This is not in a Collectable state anyway... maybe one day I score a better dial and a right crystal. Maybe not... given that I paid 9$ for this including shipping I am quite happy 🙂
    Thanks for your kind words!
    Kamburov likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #404
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Burgas, Bulgaria
    Posts
    1,619

    Re: Before & After ✨

    Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    Soap, water and my finger ��
    I think I will keep it as is for now. This is not in a Collectable state anyway... maybe one day I score a better dial and a right crystal. Maybe not... given that I paid 9$ for this including shipping I am quite happy ��
    Thanks for your kind words!
    $9? Wow, nice! You can't find these in better condition nowerdays. Compared to what's out there, this is one very good find! It doesn't get better than that

    PS: Yeah, finding a good dial, without a pricey watch attached to it is gonna be tough

  6. #405
    Member Matt_Bored_O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Ontario, CANADA
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: Before & After ✨

    .
    Just curious:

    Has anyone tried Hydrogen Peroxide to clean a dial?

    I have heard that some have used it to restore old enamel dials. The paint was not harmed.
    EndeavourDK likes this.

  7. #406
    Member EndeavourDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,047

    Re: Before & After ✨

    Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    Hi guys. Need your advise. Got this old Saturn mainly for practicing... dirty inside out. First 3 photos show exterior, the movement before cleaning and the dial before.
    Serviced movement to the best of my ability and got it moving just fine. Left it at +2 secs face up and +3 face down. Remarkably good positional error: a few secs between each position. Beat error 4.4 but this is not adjustable balance so I left it as it. Not bothered but it in this case. Now,
    the dial was quite dirty with green rust around the perimeter. Had to be cleaned. Cleaning took away the lacquer around the edge cause it was quite damaged to begin with. You can see what I had end up with. All the black text and gold marks staying put. But the dial now is partially white partially yellowish. For now I have decided to keep it as is. You can see the end result. Questions: should I have left the dial as it was (dirty)? Should I finish it bu removing all lacquer and getting it to be white? The watch is quite beat up outside and a white dial will stand out... Should I keep it as is cause this beaten watch has a beaten (but somewhat clean) dial?
    Please share your thought. Thanks!

    And what is the lift angle on these? 44?
    I too think that you've done a great job
    As for the dial, as you can read a few post back, there is a thin line between a hero and a zero. The dial in its current state is very presentable.
    I ordered last week some transparent water-based varnish, again as I found out the hard-way transparent nail-lacquer didn't work .... at all! The arcetone in it (stupid me ) made swift work of the paint-layer on a trial dial
    Will let the forum know how water-based varnish performs.

    As for the beat-error; it doesn't harm the movement, it only affect the time-keeping. Since the positional error seems very good, why bother? No idea about the lifting angle and the amplitude isn't the highest in the world, but remember the strength (or the lack of it) of the main-spring is a variable in the amplitude equation and if the watch makes it through all the motions in 24 hrs, I guess you are fine too
    Last edited by EndeavourDK; September 9th, 2019 at 09:05.
    The more I read & learn, the more I realize how little I know. And even what I think I know, I start to doubt"

  8. #407
    Member Odessa200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    Hi guys. Need your advise. Got this old Saturn mainly for practicing... dirty inside out. First 3 photos show exterior, the movement before cleaning and the dial before.
    Serviced movement to the best of my ability and got it moving just fine. Left it at +2 secs face up and +3 face down. Remarkably good positional error: a few secs between each position. Beat error 4.4 but this is not adjustable balance so I left it as it. Not bothered but it in this case. Now,
    the dial was quite dirty with green rust around the perimeter. Had to be cleaned. Cleaning took away the lacquer around the edge cause it was quite damaged to begin with. You can see what I had end up with. All the black text and gold marks staying put. But the dial now is partially white partially yellowish. For now I have decided to keep it as is. You can see the end result. Questions: should I have left the dial as it was (dirty)? Should I finish it bu removing all lacquer and getting it to be white? The watch is quite beat up outside and a white dial will stand out... Should I keep it as is cause this beaten watch has a beaten (but somewhat clean) dial?
    Please share your thought. Thanks!

    And what is the lift angle on these? 44?
    I too think that you've done a great job [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/icon_good.gif[/IMG]
    As for the dial, as you can read a few post back, there is a thin line between a hero and a zero. The dial in its current state is very presentable.
    I ordered last week some transparent water-based varnish, again as I found out the hard-way transparent nail-lacquer didn't work .... at all! The arcetone in it (stupid me [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/rodekaart.gif[/IMG]) made swift work of the paint-layer on a trial dial [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/banging.gif[/IMG]
    Will let the forum know how water-based varnish performs.

    As for the beat-error; it doesn't harm the movement, it only affect the time-keeping. Since the positional error seems very good, why bother? No idea about the lifting angle and the amplitude isn't the highest in the world, but remember the strength (or the lack of it) of the main-spring is a variable in the amplitude equation and if the watch makes it through all the motions in 24 hrs, I guess you are fine too [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/IMG]
    Agree on the beat error. On a balance w/o the error regulation, if ai see a decent precision and decent positional error, I leave it as is. Trying to fiddle with it, with my skills may have an adverse effect 🙂 Yes, amplitude is a bit low given the spring age, etc but even after 12 h I see same amplitude. It does not drop. And in my experience, above 220 or so is enough to keep these watches running on my wrist.

    I have thought about using the nail polish 🙂 my wife gave me a whole bag of old bottles... good that you warned us. Let us know bout your other experiments!

  9. #408
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,051

    Re: Before & After ✨

    Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    Soap, water and my finger 🙂
    I think I will keep it as is for now. This is not in a Collectable state anyway... maybe one day I score a better dial and a right crystal. Maybe not... given that I paid 9$ for this including shipping I am quite happy 🙂
    Thanks for your kind words!
    I think you did remarkably well to get the dial to look as good as you did especially considering the original condition. And you can't beat the price. I have a similar Mayak before and after coming up in a minute for the same price.

    Sekondtime

  10. #409
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,051

    Re: Before & After ✨

    Two more before and after examples for you to view.

    Firstly a Mayak which I managed to acquire for $4.30 delivered (albeit with some other watches). This one was going to be a bit of a gamble because I was not sure if the discolouration on the dial was just dirt or corrosion or what exactly. Some of it was oil as there was an abundance of oil under the dial. Also, whether the movement was good or not was also a gamble. However, the hands looked in very good condition.

    Name:  Mayak White Dial (2).jpg
Views: 56
Size:  238.7 KB


    After some citric acid treatment; more than usual in this instance, I managed to getting to look like this:

    Name:  IMGP1950.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  76.7 KB
    Name:  IMGP1954.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  78.7 KB


    There is still some stubborn discolouration but I feared that any more work on the dial would ruin it. I would not say it is the best clean that I have achieved but I am pretty pleased considering what it was like before and the type of dirt/damage. It actually looks better in real life than in the photos. The movement proved to be ok and works well. It keeps good time. I am not sure if the movement is authentic though.

    Name:  IMGP1960.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  161.0 KB


    I think this is the catalogue entry from 1960 although it has different hands in the picture.
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	Mayak ChN 187K 1960.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	14461261

    Next is Sekonda branded Poljot 2614B. I managed to get this for just less than $9 including the Sekonda box. The hands had cracked and the date mechanism was reported not working. Otherwise, it just looked a little bit dirty.

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	Sekonda 17 Jewel Poljot Blue Dial before 2 (2).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	14461279

    It was easy to restore the hands which I have documented on this thread before. The movement was working well but the lever to set the date mechanism proved a bit time consuming. Firstly, trying to find the right position for the lever and secondly, getting it set with the spring correctly. I think someone had been there before me and changed the position of the spring. I cannot say that I find date setting mechanism easy or fun to do in most watches except a Ruhla. Give me a Ruhla any day. They are a cinch!

    Here is the result:

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMGP1964.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	14461291
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMGP1965 (2).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	14461297
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMGP1968.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	14461299
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMGP1971.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	14461303

    There are still bargains to be had out there (but not as frequent as there used to be!)

    Sekondtime

  11. #410
    Member Odessa200's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekondtime View Post
    Two more before and after examples for you to view.

    Firstly a Mayak which I managed to acquire for $4.30 delivered (albeit with some other watches). This one was going to be a bit of a gamble because I was not sure if the discolouration on the dial was just dirt or corrosion or what exactly. Some of it was oil as there was an abundance of oil under the dial. Also, whether the movement was good or not was also a gamble. However, the hands looked in very good condition.

    Name:  Mayak White Dial (2).jpg
Views: 56
Size:  238.7 KB


    After some citric acid treatment; more than usual in this instance, I managed to getting to look like this:

    Name:  IMGP1950.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  76.7 KB
    Name:  IMGP1954.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  78.7 KB


    There is still some stubborn discolouration but I feared that any more work on the dial would ruin it. I would not say it is the best clean that I have achieved but I am pretty pleased considering what it was like before and the type of dirt/damage. It actually looks better in real life than in the photos. The movement proved to be ok and works well. It keeps good time. I am not sure if the movement is authentic though.

    Name:  IMGP1960.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  161.0 KB


    I think this is the catalogue entry from 1960 although it has different hands in the picture.
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	Mayak ChN 187K 1960.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	14461261

    Next is Sekonda branded Poljot 2614B. I managed to get this for just less than $9 including the Sekonda box. The hands had cracked and the date mechanism was reported not working. Otherwise, it just looked a little bit dirty.

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	Sekonda 17 Jewel Poljot Blue Dial before 2 (2).jpg
Views:	56
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	14461279

    It was easy to restore the hands which I have documented on this thread before. The movement was working well but the lever to set the date mechanism proved a bit time consuming. Firstly, trying to find the right position for the lever and secondly, getting it set with the spring correctly. I think someone had been there before me and changed the position of the spring. I cannot say that I find date setting mechanism easy or fun to do in most watches except a Ruhla. Give me a Ruhla any day. They are a cinch!

    Here is the result:

    Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMGP1964.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	14461291
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMGP1965 (2).jpg
Views:	59
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	14461297
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMGP1968.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	14461299
    Click image for larger version.

Name:	IMGP1971.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	14461303

    There are still bargains to be had out there (but not as frequent as there used to be!)

    Sekondtime
    This is super great. I have a long way to go...


    I have opened up another Saturn and thinking about the dial. It is aged but evenly. It also has all the lume dots intact. I am tempted to leave it as is. Will do movement and then decide. Will post a photo tomorrow to solicit your opinion.
    Sekondtime likes this.

Page 41 of 76 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. <<<<<<<WRUW SUN 27th August>>>>>>>
      By chicolabronse in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: August 27th, 2017, 07:47
    2. Replies: 16
      Last Post: December 10th, 2016, 22:56
    3. &&&&&&&& WRUW 06/10/2015 &&&&&&&&&&
      By eblackmo in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 90
      Last Post: October 8th, 2015, 21:56
    4. &&&&&&&& WRUW ON SATURDAY MAY 16th 2015 &&&&&&&&&
      By GDub in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: May 16th, 2015, 05:46
    5. Replies: 97
      Last Post: December 4th, 2014, 03:32

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts