Before & After ✨ - Page 46
Like Tree1567Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 46 of 76 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    Beautiful Luch again! Also these models have very nice dials!
    I will deffinately try myself with quartz at some point. I even got a bunch today for experiments. And not only that.
    I spent about $200 on a lot of watches for restoration today. I don't know how many (more than 150), but the bag weighted more than 4 kg. This is going to be the mother of all restoration projects I ever committed to.
    Attachment 14482775

There's almost everything in this, including a random Poljot and Seiko chronograps. And other cool stuff.
    Attachment 14482791

Attachment 14482793

Attachment 14482795

This is going to be a challenge, but I figured restoring just 10-15 of these was worth spending the cash. Most importantly I will have a lot of fun playing with movements I've never played before.
    There's also a vintage steel case Zenith, that I will service for the friend that sold the lot to me, so that will be interesting too. He just kept the Zenith and a Certina, and passed the rest to me.
    I simply don't know where to start from. Very conusing
    Ivan
    Congratulations! But, I have to say, in my head I imagine a scene where you were just asked to go to the market for milk and eggs! So many choices of where to begin!
    Kamburov likes this.

Ivan,
    I also join in the congratulations. This is a great catch!

I think you need to start with the watch that you like best.

Good luck,
    Sergey.
    Kamburov likes this.
    Repair and restore of Russian quartz watches.

Beautiful Luch again! Also these models have very nice dials!
    I will deffinately try myself with quartz at some point. I even got a bunch today for experiments. And not only that.
    I spent about $200 on a lot of watches for restoration today. I don't know how many (more than 150), but the bag weighted more than 4 kg. This is going to be the mother of all restoration projects I ever committed to.
    Attachment 14482775

There's almost everything in this, including a random Poljot and Seiko chronograps. And other cool stuff.
    Attachment 14482791

Attachment 14482793

Attachment 14482795

This is going to be a challenge, but I figured restoring just 10-15 of these was worth spending the cash. Most importantly I will have a lot of fun playing with movements I've never played before.
    There's also a vintage steel case Zenith, that I will service for the friend that sold the lot to me, so that will be interesting too. He just kept the Zenith and a Certina, and passed the rest to me.
    I simply don't know where to start from. Very conusing
    Ivan
    If it was about money, only three of the watches you're showing in first picture would more than repay the investment once restored!
    But no doubt it's not about money, you've clearly shown it along all your great posts on the forum.
    Kamburov likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the nice words, comrades! This reaally is good fun. Sure, it's not about the money, I keep most my restorations. When I spend the time with them I get emotinally attached. On the financial side, in this pile there are at least 20 good soviet watches, more ordinary models that I'm not interested with, or I lready have. There are also some good swiss movements, a good Gub Glashutte, a good Atlantic watch with 2 spare cases, etc. I mean, I have enough good stuff to sell, even at symbolic prices, to return most of the investment.
    So I'm deffinately not selling the chronos, or 24h raketa, or the vostoks, or some other interesting soviet things
    Now about those, some good and some bad news. The Seiko 6139 is running (seamingly) well, as are some of the soviets. I got them in better shape, but all are still ongoing projects
    Name:  1.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  3.89 MB

I will be spending more time with them for repairs, but cosmetically they are full of potential. The 6139 has a keyless work glitch, also need to order a seconds hand for it. I'm not sure it zeroes right, and the movement is too big of a challenge for me.
    The bad news is the 3133. It's dead and rusty. It's been filled with water and rust has fused some of its insides together. Only fit for spares. It also has serious problems cosmetically.
    I still made a good watch out of it, as I had a good 3133 specially for an occasion like this, but I'm still dissapointed about it.
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  3.96 MB
    Name:  3.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  2.80 MB

On the bright side, I have 3133 donor for spares now
    For now my biggest challenge seems to be the 6139 , but I guess that's for another forum.
    Ivan
    haha likes this.

Thanks for the nice words, comrades! This reaally is good fun. Sure, it's not about the money, I keep most my restorations. When I spend the time with them I get emotinally attached. On the financial side, in this pile there are at least 20 good soviet watches, more ordinary models that I'm not interested with, or I lready have. There are also some good swiss movements, a good Gub Glashutte, a good Atlantic watch with 2 spare cases, etc. I mean, I have enough good stuff to sell, even at symbolic prices, to return most of the investment.
    So I'm deffinately not selling the chronos, or 24h raketa, or the vostoks, or some other interesting soviet things [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/IMG]
    Now about those, some good and some bad news. The Seiko 6139 is running (seamingly) well, as are some of the soviets. I got them in better shape, but all are still ongoing projects
    Name:  1.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  3.89 MB

I will be spending more time with them for repairs, but cosmetically they are full of potential. The 6139 has a keyless work glitch, also need to order a seconds hand for it. I'm not sure it zeroes right, and the movement is too big of a challenge for me.
    The bad news is the 3133. It's dead and rusty. It's been filled with water and rust has fused some of its insides together. Only fit for spares. It also has serious problems cosmetically.
    I still made a good watch out of it, as I had a good 3133 specially for an occasion like this, but I'm still dissapointed about it.
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  3.96 MB
    Name:  3.JPG
Views: 59
Size:  2.80 MB

On the bright side, I have 3133 donor for spares now [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/IMG]
    For now my biggest challenge seems to be the 6139 , but I guess that's for another forum.
    Ivan
    If I get so many watches to take care of I would get super stressed 🙂. Which one do 1st, what 2nd?.... Good luck!

I took another gamble and, I think, scored once more! So here it goes. Spotted this Poljot De Lux 2209. Price is probably 25% from the market price. Condition is horrible. Very filthy. On the 1st photo you see what I bought. My biggest concern was the green spots on the lugs. I was thinking that the gilding is gone and this is some kind of the green rust. Ask the seller but got strange and super vague answer that the watch is not perfect, used, and that it was loved. Anyway, given the price I figured that the worst case I would get a bunch of spare parts. When I got it a few days later (from UK by the way) 1st thing for me was to check the lugs. What I found still a mystery for me. What the ...? The spaces in the pins go in the strap were full of some green paste. Like a dried up play dough. Maybe the old owner was a school teacher? 🙂. 2nd photo shows the situation. And that is only what came out naturally. The strap had more inside.
    Aside from this the rest was not that bad. Scratched crystal, a bit of dirt on the case, a few specs of dust under the crystal (original crystal! ). Movement was relatively clean.
    You can see the polishing progression and the final product. Put it on a vintage lizard band. I am quite happy. What do you say?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    I took another gamble and, I think, scored once more! So here it goes. Spotted this Poljot De Lux 2209. Price is probably 25% from the market price. Condition is horrible. Very filthy. On the 1st photo you see what I bought. My biggest concern was the green spots on the lugs. I was thinking that the gilding is gone and this is some kind of the green rust. Ask the seller but got strange and super vague answer that the watch is not perfect, used, and that it was loved. Anyway, given the price I figured that the worst case I would get a bunch of spare parts. When I got it a few days later (from UK by the way) 1st thing for me was to check the lugs. What I found still a mystery for me. What the ...? The spaces in the pins go in the strap were full of some green paste. Like a dried up play dough. Maybe the old owner was a school teacher? 🙂. 2nd photo shows the situation. And that is only what came out naturally. The strap had more inside.
    Aside from this the rest was not that bad. Scratched crystal, a bit of dirt on the case, a few specs of dust under the crystal (original crystal! ). Movement was relatively clean.
    You can see the polishing progression and the final product. Put it on a vintage lizard band. I am quite happy. What do you say?
    From heavily worn out (with all dirt collected over the years) you made it like new! Great job!
    -- Mimi --

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    That looks fantastic!

A while ago I bought this "wonderful" 11-jewels Slava clock (picture#1); supposedly "cleaned & oiled" and keeping good time. It didn't take long or the gremlins started jumping all over me.
    The nice gold-paint on the back came off and the minute-hand had a least a 5-minute play, depending on in which position the clock was held. A look inside revealed a dirty movement with some oil in the jewels. Cleaned & oiled the clock and thereafter it ran for about 16 hrs
    Upon closer inspection the main spring barrel was pretty worn and under torque severely out-of-line (picture#2). This caused a lot of friction between the teeth of the barrel and the teeth of the center-wheel. The biggest wear was in the hole of main spring barrel cover. With no spare parts on hand to replace the barrel-cover, the hole in it had to be made smaller to fit the arbor. I managed to find a steel-washer with the exact ID to fit the OD of the arbor. With the hole in the barrel-cover slightly bigger than the ID of the washer and to center both holes precisely, I ground a taper on a steel rod and placed the cover and the washer on the rod, aligning both precisely (picture#3). To avoid touching the lined-up setup during hard-soldering, I put some S-39 in between and some hard-solder shavings on top (picture#4). Heated with a butane-torch from underneath and soldered both parts. After cleaning up, greasing and fitting, the main-spring barrel sits now parallel to the main-plate (picture#6) and all seems to run much more smooth. The movement is currently under test to see if it makes 24hrs or more
    Hopefully one gremlin down
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by EndeavourDK; September 20th, 2019 at 21:39.
    -WhiteLion- and Kamburov like this.
    “The more I read & learn, the more I realize how little I know. And even what I think I know, I start to doubt"

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    A while ago I bought this "wonderful" 11-jewels Slava clock (picture#1); supposedly "cleaned & oiled" and keeping good time. It didn't take long or the gremlins started jumping all over me.
    The nice gold-paint on the back came off and the minute-hand had a least a 5-minute play, depending on in which position the clock was held. A look inside revealed a dirty movement with some oil in the jewels. Cleaned & oiled the clock and thereafter it ran for about 16 hrs [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/icon_sad.gif[/IMG]
    Upon closer inspection the main spring barrel was pretty worn and under torque severely out-of-line (picture#2). This caused a lot of friction between the teeth of the barrel and the teeth of the center-wheel. The biggest wear was in the hole of main spring barrel cover. With no spare parts on hand to replace the barrel-cover, the hole in it had to be made smaller to fit the arbor. I managed to find a steel-washer with the exact ID to fit the OD of the arbor. With the hole in the barrel-cover slightly bigger than the ID of the washer and to center both holes precisely, I ground a taper on a steel rod and placed the cover and the washer on the rod, aligning both precisely (picture#3). To avoid touching the lined-up setup during hard-soldering, I put some S-39 in between both items and some hard-solder shavings on top (picture#4). Heated with a butane-torch from underneath and soldered both parts. After cleaning up, greasing and fitting, the main-spring barrel sits now parallel to the main-plate (picture#6) and all seems to run much more smooth. The movement is currently under test to see if it makes 24hrs or more [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif[/IMG]
    Hopefully one gremlin down [IMG class=inlineimg]https://forums.watchuseek.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif[/IMG]
    Nice. This is a next level for me. Or maybe a few levels up 🙂. I got 2 of these a few days ago. Did not get them. One to restore and anther for parts if needed. If I am lucky I may end up with both working 🙂 or none 🙂

Page 46 of 76 FirstFirst ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 ... LastLast

Thread Information