Before & After ✨ - Page 50
Like Tree1567Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 50 of 76 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

Quote Originally Posted by -WhiteLion- View Post

Generally speaking, I have long been here. Here is my thread. Therefore I did not appear here suddenly out of nowhere.

Unfortunately, there are not so many lovers of Soviet quartz (despite the fact that there are quite a lot of good, interesting and beautiful watches). So I feel like a little black sheep here. But it is not important. I like to do what I do. Everything else is little things.

With your permission, another project of mine, another Luch 3055.

At first, because of the dial, this instance seemed to me hopeless for restore. But I managed to bring the dial to normal appearance. Then everything was easier. All casing elements were washed. I also painted the hands and installed crystal. Of course, the mechanism was repaired, serviced and tuned.
    Thank you Sergey, for showing us your thread, it's what this forum needs! And to have a record of your amazing work and beautiful pieces - they are Soviet watches as well, and certainly your posts have piqued our interest in quartz watches!

It's good that you returned (some great members who have contributed a lot in past on WUS, have disappeared), and therefore some valuable threads are forgotten as well (despite interesting and popular subject they hold - I know this is also inevitable). Luckily this didn't happen to yours.

Your work on Luch is impressive, now I go back to Russian Quartz thread!
    -- Mimi --

SunnyOrange,
    thank you very much for your kind words. I am very touched.

I like to give watches a second life. As far as possible I will continue to do so and I will show here some of my work.
    Repair and restore of Russian quartz watches.

Quote Originally Posted by -WhiteLion- View Post
    SunnyOrange,
    thank you very much for your kind words. I am very touched.

I like to give watches a second life. As far as possible I will continue to do so and I will show here some of my work.
    The eBay money transaction has been completed, now the waiting game starts. As I mentioned way earlier in this thread, it would be nice if people would show/explain more what they have done and how it's done; the success stories and (perhaps even more educative) the failures, so we all can learn.
    Since people have asked WhiteLion for "how it's done" with these electronic watches and since this Luch 3055 is my very first electronic watch (I'm at the same level as the most of us), I could make a "Walk through" with pictures, text about my actions/proceedings, questions which arise and hopefully with the participation of all comrades bring this project to a successful end (or as a minimum bring an introduction/learning for all of us)? This to me would be an interesting "endeavour" for everybody interested

Is this an idea?
    In this thread or in another (new) thread?

Hope to hear your thoughts .....
    Last edited by EndeavourDK; September 25th, 2019 at 09:30.
    borgil, Kamburov and AaParker like this.
    The more I read & learn, the more I realize how little I know. And even what I think I know, I start to doubt"

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't think I'm gonna move to quartz watches, though many of them have a very interesting design. However I'm sure an "how to" thread would be very useful for those wanting to do the move, and very interesting also for those who won't like me. My advice would be to set up a specific thread for the technical aspects of the work, rather than use a more generic one where the technical part could get lost among the (superb) pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    The eBay money transaction has been completed, now the waiting game starts. As I mentioned way earlier in this thread, it would be nice if people would show/explain more what they have done and how it's done; the success stories and (perhaps even more educative) the failures, so we all can learn.
    Since people have asked WhiteLion for "how it's done" with these electronic watches and since this Luch 3055 is my very first electronic watch (I'm at the same level as the most of us), I could make a "Walk through" with pictures, text about my actions/proceedings, questions which arise and hopefully with the participation of all comrades bring this project to a successful end (or as a minimum bring an introduction/learning for all of us)? This to me would be an interesting "endeavour" for everybody interested

Is this an idea?
    In this thread or in another (new) thread?

Hope to hear your thoughts .....
    If there is clearly a before and after view of the result of the work done, then it would belong in this thread. This includes the technical steps taken if these contributed towards the final result. Even if the result was not considered successful; it is still a before and after.

If it was a stand alone technical tutorial then that would be better in a separate thread which would be easier to locate for future reference.

Sekondtime

Here are two more $4.30 delivered watches both of which have received only a modest input.

First is a black dial Mayak. 16 Jewel 2603. This Mayak has a larger dial and case compared to most designs from this period - the case is 35mm across including crown. Other watches of this period are around 30mm.

Here is it before

Click image for larger version.

Name:	Black Mayak before.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	14501213

The watch was not working but only required a cleaning. The crystal was intact but needed a polish. The small seconds hand was missing and the dial was dirty. The dial has a very strange finish. At first I wondered if it had been repainted but I have since found others with exactly the same finish. Plus the numbers and the logo printing are all authentic on closer inspection.

Here is a close up of the dial finish.

Name:	IMGP2002 (2).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	166.1 KB
ID:	14501215

The hands were very rust pitted but all I have done with these is given them a dry clean and removed most of the rust. I did not take them any further for fear of affecting the gold colour finish.

Here it is after completion:

Name:  IMGP1994 (2).jpg
Views: 61
Size:  172.4 KBName:  IMGP1998 (2).jpg
Size:  167.9 KBName:  IMGP2006 (2).jpg
Views: 66
Size:  106.0 KBName:  IMGP2013 (2).jpg
Views: 59
Size:  156.8 KB

There is one thing that I cannot find and that is a catalogue entry. I think this watch dates from the mid to late 1950s to about 1960. It also comes in a round case but there are very few Mayaks listed in the catalogues that I have.

Next is a small ZIM for the same price. The white dial had grubby marks and some corrosion. I think that moisture must have got in and sat under the crystal for some time at some point. I used the citric acid method on this one.

Here is the before photo:

Name:  Zim before.jpg
Size:  183.3 KB

All I did was some light cleaning, sorting out the movement (the hairspring was tangled slightly) and resetting the hands. Both the ZIM and the Mayak keep good time. Here is the result.

The Russian text reads, "When wages are spent on this, retribution is inevitable!" - hopefully not in my case for $4.30!

Name:  IMGP2016 (2).jpg
Views: 60
Size:  67.9 KB

Name:  IMGP2018 (2).jpg
Size:  66.5 KB

Name:  IMGP2020 (2).jpg
Size:  100.9 KB

Two more to add to the collection!

Sekondtime.

Good job! I don't see that Mayak case very often. Very modern for it's time. Slava used a very similar design, many years later.
    Name:  DSC07046.jpg
Views: 58
Size:  987.1 KB

EPK

Quote Originally Posted by Sekondtime View Post
    Here are two more $4.30 delivered watches both of which have received only a modest input.

First is a black dial Mayak. 16 Jewel 2603. This Mayak has a larger dial and case compared to most designs from this period - the case is 35mm across including crown. Other watches of this period are around 30mm.

Here is it before

The watch was not working but only required a cleaning. The crystal was intact but needed a polish. The small seconds hand was missing and the dial was dirty. The dial has a very strange finish. At first I wondered if it had been repainted but I have since found others with exactly the same finish. Plus the numbers and the logo printing are all authentic on closer inspection.

The hands were very rust pitted but all I have done with these is given them a dry clean and removed most of the rust. I did not take them any further for fear of affecting the gold colour finish.

There is one thing that I cannot find and that is a catalogue entry. I think this watch dates from the mid to late 1950s to about 1960. It also comes in a round case but there are very few Mayaks listed in the catalogues that I have.

Next is a small ZIM for the same price. The white dial had grubby marks and some corrosion. I think that moisture must have got in and sat under the crystal for some time at some point. I used the citric acid method on this one.

All I did was some light cleaning, sorting out the movement (the hairspring was tangled slightly) and resetting the hands. Both the ZIM and the Mayak keep good time. Here is the result.

The Russian text reads, "When wages are spent on this, retribution is inevitable!" - hopefully not in my case for $4.30!

Sekondtime.
    Wow! I'm in awe what you and others can do .

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sekondtime View Post

Here is it before

Sekondtime.
    Great work as usual! Thank you for posting a close-up shot of the Mayak dial. It's so interesting that the dial finish has a pebbled texture to it. I can't say that I've seen that before. Also, the ZIM came out very nicely. With the citric acid treatment, do you also have to use a cotton swab or cloth to remove more that just the excess moisture or does the treatment leave it that clean without scrubbing?
    SunnyOrange likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AaParker View Post
    Great work as usual! Thank you for posting a close-up shot of the Mayak dial. It's so interesting that the dial finish has a pebbled texture to it. I can't say that I've seen that before. Also, the ZIM came out very nicely. With the citric acid treatment, do you also have to use a cotton swab or cloth to remove more that just the excess moisture or does the treatment leave it that clean without scrubbing?

Thank you AaParker. The dial texture is intriguing. It looks like there was a paint effect applied to the dial which failed and crazed and was then over-painted with black. However, the number markings and logo etc are all authentic and applied on top so it must have been done at the factory. Also, there are many examples of the same dial with the same finish.

As for the citric acid treatment. Dip a cotton bud (q-tip) into the citric acid solution and squeeze excess solution from the cotton bud and then rub the cotton bud over the dial. You may need to concentrate on one small part or one half (depending on the dirt/discolouration) before moving onto another part of the dial. Keep doing that until you see an improvement. The trick is to recognise when you have reached the right point. Have a dry fine microfibre cloth to hand to mop up any excess solution left on the dial from the cotton bud. You can get through 4 or five double ended cotton buds per dial depending on the stubbornness of the dirt. Basically, it is a bit like the cleaning an art restorer does to a painting but a little more vigorous!

Hope that helps!

Sekondtime

Page 50 of 76 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... LastLast

Thread Information