Before & After ✨ - Page 6
Like Tree1562Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 6 of 76 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    Thanks, comrade. Nothing could be easier than nickel-plating on brass.

Just out of curiosity - why nickel? Shouldn't be chrome the original finishing?

Nickel is also a known, proven cause of possible allergic reactions, whose severity may vary depending on an individual's sensibility; for this reason, here in the EU, its maximum content in items destined to skin contact -i.e. costume jewelry- is limited by law (btw, didn't you have issues in sourcing the nickel plating solution? Use of that product is restricted to professionals only here, and sale to private customers is not allowed).
    I wonder, if items as small as earrings can already cause problems, what about a large watch case, heavily custom-plated?

Thanks, comrade. Nothing could be easier than nickel-plating on brass. I looked at gold-plating, too, but the downside is that the solution is hard to find in small quantities and, if found, is still quite expensive.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/i-t...it-813682.html

https://photos.app......../cHhRh02QnFuRhzAI2

Good luck if you decide to try.
    Thanks, schnurrp, I will deffinately try it! I did some reverse electrolysis for stripping silver and gold plating, but preparing a solution is a bit complex. The ready gold solutions are a bit expensive, and I need to buy the pen tool for applying them. I've been looking for local contacts with people chrome plating car parts, so I can do a few watch cases, but no such service in my city. That should be the easiest way.
    I never thought of nickel-plating before your post.
    Ivan

Quote Originally Posted by Straight_time View Post
    Just out of curiosity - why nickel? Shouldn't be chrome the original finishing?

Nickel is also a known, proven cause of possible allergic reactions, whose severity may vary depending on an individual's sensibility; for this reason, here in the EU, its maximum content in items destined to skin contact -i.e. costume jewelry- is limited by law (btw, didn't you have issues in sourcing the nickel plating solution? Use of that product is restricted to professionals only here, and sale to private customers is not allowed).
    I wonder, if items as small as earrings can already cause problems, what about a large watch case, heavily custom-plated?
    Read about the two processes and it will be apparent. Nickel-plating is much easier.

This is the kit I used five years ago. It's gone up in price but still available with no warnings that I can see.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13150369[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Bought this wreck of a watch by mistake. Case and dial turned out to be quite allright, so today I desided to give it a treatment. Now this pretty little watch is back in top form.
    Replaced parts - ballance, fixing ring, stem/crown, hour minute hands (repainted).
    Ivan

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  303.8 KB
    Name:  02.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  459.7 KB
    Name:  022.JPG
Views: 354
Size:  1.71 MB
    Last edited by Kamburov; May 20th, 2018 at 04:07.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    Bought this wreck of a watch by mistake. Case and dial turned out to be quite allright, so today I desided to give it a treatment. Now this pretty little watch is back in top form.
    Replaced parts - ballance, fixing ring, stem/crown, hour minute hands (repainted).
    Ivan
    Ivan, Looks nice!
    What kind of band you gonna use for it?

It's be nice to find a vintage Soviet one...
    Kamburov likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaJohnboy View Post
    Ivan, Looks nice!
    What kind of band you gonna use for it?

It's be nice to find a vintage Soviet one...
    Thanks, John! I doubt it will get much of a wrist time, so I'll leave as it is for now (on the bookshelve ) . I have a few natos in case I decide taking it out, as they are easy to put on and come in different colours. This one has quite a clean and modern design, I think it will look good on just about anything.
    Ivan

Ivan

Name:  2.jpg
Size:  303.8 KB
    Name:  02.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  459.7 KB
    Name:  022.JPG
Views: 354
Size:  1.71 MB
    Nice job, comrade, although I think the hands are a little short if you're going for complete authenticity: https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...64R1W0gnNCLeSX.
    Kamburov likes this.

Thanks, schnurrp, I will deffinately try it! I did some reverse electrolysis for stripping silver and gold plating, but preparing a solution is a bit complex. The ready gold solutions are a bit expensive, and I need to buy the pen tool for applying them. I've been looking for local contacts with people chrome plating car parts, so I can do a few watch cases, but no such service in my city. That should be the easiest way.
    I never thought of nickel-plating before your post.
    Ivan
    Fortunately for me I like the warm color of nickel better than chrome so I have never looked into chrome plating seriously beyond a little reading. I believe someone had this company do some work for them and were happy: Replateit.com - Watch Case Restoration. They don't do chrome, only nickel and rhodium for that color. They also do watch hands.
    Kamburov likes this.

Nice job, comrade, although I think the hands are a little short if you're going for complete authenticity: https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...64R1W0gnNCLeSX.
    Doh! Thanks, working on it!
    Ivan

There we go!
    Name:  5.JPG
Views: 332
Size:  2.85 MB
    Last edited by Kamburov; May 20th, 2018 at 13:26.
    schnurrp, kev80e and mroatman like this.

This is the kit I used five years ago. It's gone up in price but still available with no warnings that I can see.
    I presume there might be HUGE differencies between US and EU regulations...

Name:  nick1.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  97.5 KB

Name:  nick2.PNG
Size:  162.4 KB

Page 6 of 76 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 ... LastLast

Thread Information