Before & After ✨ - Page 75
Like Tree1567Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 25 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

A week ago I got a tip from a forum friend, and won an auction for a non working, all steel Poljot. Thanks, Ivan!
    The seller had a few other cheap parts/repair things, so while waiting I also got this fat Raketa auto.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  431.1 KB

It is a franken, in case you are wondering. This dial goes with gilded hands and case. I know the chance of finding a lonely gold-plated case is close to zero, so decided to go experimental. I wanted to dechrome something different than Vostok and this big, chunky, fat Raketa seemed like a good contender.
    Repairs went well. A wheel with missing teeth, a spring wandering loose, nothing serious. It was running in no time.
    Found a set of gilded hands, gave them a new paint+nescafe.
    The dial I didn't touch this time. The hour markers, originally gilded, have turned to patinated brass. Figured they will be a good match for the brass case, when it gets some patina. Actually the markers gave me the whole brass idea in the first place.
    Dechroming went well too. I'm not a fan of the gloss, so gave it a brushed finish.
    Couldn't wait till tomorrow and shoot some cool pics in the light of day. So there we go
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  3.97 MB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  4.31 MB
    Name:  6.JPG
Views: 54
Size:  3.85 MB

Now I can sit and stare at it, waiting for some patina to form.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    A week ago I got a tip from a forum friend, and won an auction for a non working, all steel Poljot. Thanks, Ivan!
    The seller had a few other cheap parts/repair things, so while waiting I also got this fat Raketa auto.

Views: 52
Size:  431.1 KB

It is a franken, in case you are wondering. This dial goes with gilded hands and case. I know the chance of finding a lonely gold-plated case is close to zero, so decided to go experimental. I wanted to dechrome something different than Vostok and this big, chunky, fat Raketa seemed like a good contender.
    Repairs went well. A wheel with missing teeth, a spring wandering loose, nothing serious. It was running in no time.
    Found a set of gilded hands, gave them a new paint+nescafe.
    The dial I didn't touch this time. The hour markers, originally gilded, have turned to patinated brass. Figured they will be a good match for the brass case, when it gets some patina. Actually the markers gave me the whole brass idea in the first place.
    Dechroming went well too. I'm not a fan of the gloss, so gave it a brushed finish.
    Couldn't wait till tomorrow and shoot some cool pics in the light of day. So there we go
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  3.97 MB
    Name:  3.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  4.31 MB
Views: 54
Size:  3.85 MB

Now I can sit and stare at it, waiting for some patina to form.
    I cannot believe it is the same watch!!!! Super 👍
    Kamburov likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    I cannot believe it is the same watch!!!! Super
    Thanks, Odessa!
    For a $17 watch it's an absolute beast.
    Name:  1.JPG
Views: 47
Size:  3.47 MB
    Name:  2.JPG
Views: 48
Size:  2.93 MB

There's the Poljot that was the main target. Not much done to it, but it's clean and ... ehm, working.
    Decided to keep its original burnt look (that brown was once blue), so didn't even repaint the hands.
    Bidding went up to $13 on this one (!?!). This auction cheered me up big time! Best tip ever!
Views: 45
Size:  491.9 KB
Size:  4.60 MB
    24h, haha, AaParker and 4 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Very good!

Thanks, Odessa!
    For a $17 watch it's an absolute beast.

Views: 48
Size:  2.93 MB

There's the Poljot that was the main target. Not much done to it, but it's clean and ... ehm, working.
    Decided to keep its original burnt look (that brown was once blue), so didn't even repaint the hands.
    Bidding went up to $13 on this one (!?!). This auction cheered me up big time! Best tip ever!

Size:  4.60 MB
    Excellent idea to dechrome this Raketa. Great result. I didn't expect the dial to be in such good condition.
    The Poljot looks good too. The great thing with buying non working soviet watches is that at least 20% of them actually work !
    Kamburov and EndeavourDK like this.

Remember the big pile of scrap I got last year? Still finding cool stuff in it.
    Attachment 14840169
    Can I get some more info on that reverse panda chrono up front?

Quote Originally Posted by Draconian Collector View Post
    Sure, by coincidence I'm wearing it as I type. No miracles there, unfortunately. 3133 was beyond repair, big section fused by rust.
    Name:  5.JPG
Views: 25
Size:  2.79 MB
Views: 27
Size:  2.64 MB

So I had to source a spare movement. Dial damage is still visible. Hour hand was fused to the dial, so that spot is still there too.
    Name:  9.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  2.56 MB

Since then I had another go with this
Size:  144.8 KB

so now I have two of those and tons of practice.
Size:  4.43 MB

I've swithed cases since that photo, to get the best parts into one presentable watch, and one beater for everyday use. Like cooking leeks and coliflower soup.
    Name:  000.JPG
Size:  3.41 MB

Didn't cost me that much cheaper than buying two good watches, but the experience and fun are priceless. Also I have a lot of stuff left. Including a working 3133 minus a broken 4th wheel, and a lot of other spare parts. I'm well prepared for the next 3133 challenge when it happens. Hopefully I'll manage better results.
    24h, EPK, elsoldemayo and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Draconian Collector View Post
    Sure, by coincidence I'm wearing it as I type. No miracles there, unfortunately. 3133 was beyond repair, big section fused by rust.
Size:  2.79 MB
Size:  2.64 MB

So I had to source a spare movement. Dial damage is still visible. Hour hand was fused to the dial, so that spot is still there too.
    Name:  9.JPG
Views: 26
Size:  2.56 MB

Since then I had another go with this
Size:  144.8 KB

so now I have two of those and tons of practice.
Size:  4.43 MB

I've swithed cases since that photo, to get the best parts into one presentable watch, and one beater for everyday use. Like cooking leeks and coliflower soup.
    Name:  000.JPG
Size:  3.41 MB

Didn't cost me that much cheaper than buying two good watches, but the experience and fun are priceless. Also I have a lot of stuff left. Including a working 3133 minus a broken 4th wheel, and a lot of other spare parts. I'm well prepared for the next 3133 challenge when it happens. Hopefully I'll manage better results.
    This is great! I am still chicken to try 3133 service. Here and there tuning is Ok but complete service I am scared (no parts, etc). I am actually supposed to pick one 3133 beater tomorrow from the post office. Will see if it is usable or just a collection of parts.... maybe will be a practice 3133 movement for me.
    Your results are great!
    Kamburov likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    This is great! I am still chicken to try 3133 service. Here and there tuning is Ok but complete service I am scared (no parts, etc). I am actually supposed to pick one 3133 beater tomorrow from the post office. Will see if it is usable or just a collection of parts.... maybe will be a practice 3133 movement for me.
    Your results are great!
    Thanks, Odessa! 3133 is a lot of fun, as I was getting a bit bored with most other soviet movements. It can be very frustrating at times, and expensive parts don't make it better (I can't spend $40-$50 on one 4th wheel).
    I had a lot of help and support from the forum, and notably from EndeavourDK and Matt Brace.
    I wish you good luck! You can post some pics here when you get it, 3133 are always interesting projects.
    EndeavourDK and 24h like this.

Thanks, Odessa! 3133 is a lot of fun, as I was getting a bit bored with most other soviet movements. It can be very frustrating at times, and expensive parts don't make it better (I can't spend $40-$50 on one 4th wheel).
    I had a lot of help and support from the forum, and notably from EndeavourDK and Matt Brace.
    I wish you good luck! You can post some pics here when you get it, 3133 are always interesting projects.
    Fantastic results Ivan

Than to think all done by "snap-on" exchangeable thumb-bits

I'm getting envious and you deserve a BIG thumbs-up
    Last edited by EndeavourDK; 2 Days Ago at 15:08.
    24h and Kamburov like this.
    “The more I read & learn, the more I realize how little I know. And even what I think I know, I start to doubt"

Page 75 of 76 FirstFirst ... 25 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 LastLast

Thread Information