Before & After ✨ - Page 8
Like Tree1562Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 8 of 76 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

My modest contribution to this topic, I'm sorry I didn't keep the seller's awful photo but this is before and after, with the original bracelet:Name:  r1.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  228.8 KBName:  r2.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  173.8 KBName:  r3.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  184.6 KBName:  r4.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  155.6 KB

I wear the watch occasionally, it's a very comfortable and good looking model IMO.
    DJW GB, Kamburov, Avidfan and 3 others like this.

Saturday night watch-fixit' time!
    It'll be a big post, all in-one so let's get to it!

Komandirskie #3 clean-up, a Soviet bracelet re-sizing, and another Soviet bracelet missing parts.

Komandirskie #3 clean-up. First some before pics...

Name:  VK#2-before7.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  131.7 KB
    Name:  VK#2-before6.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  42.2 KB
    Name:  VK#2-before5.jpg
Size:  37.4 KB
    Name:  VK#2-before4.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  35.0 KB
    Name:  VK#2-before3.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  61.1 KB
    Name:  VK#2-before2.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  67.3 KB
    Name:  VK#2-before1.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  127.4 KB

Now here it is after a toothbrush and some soapy water.
    This one has worked hard and had a hot supper, more than once.

Name:  VK#@-After2.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  80.3 KB
    Name:  VK#@-After3.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  71.0 KB
    Name:  VK#@-After4.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  84.5 KB
    Name:  VK#@-After5.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  48.0 KB

And after some polywatch on the crystal!
    I got all but 3 major scratches on the crystal.

Attachment 13171239

Name:  VK#@-After1-crazed dial.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  138.3 KB

Check out the vintage crazing on the dial! Look at that cracked-dial-pattern and overall patina!

Thanks for watching.

And a final few of it on the re-sized Soviet bracelet. Talk about real vintage!
    The bracelet does not have a "part number" rather its price is stamped on it.
    I think it was 5 rubles 15 kopeks. (Please correct me if i am wrong)

Name:  VK#@-After-withbracelet5.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  127.0 KB
    Name:  VK#@-After-withbracelet4.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  114.4 KB
    Name:  VK#@-After-withbracelet3.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  121.9 KB
    Name:  VK#@-After-withbracelet2.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  106.7 KB

Thanks!
    AlaskaJohnboy

PS I'll do the other Soviet bracelet in a different forum, as it needs a few links and is not a "b4 and after,' .
    And the collection, (Ok She's right- that's a lot of watches. *put eye-roll here*)
    -1971 Timex Marlin, green dial (reborn!), 1970's Timex Auto, 1974 Hamilton Accumatic ORANGE DIAL!
    -Dad's 1953 Bulova President, 1963 gold Accutron, and Grandpa's 1970 Caravelle machinist's watch

--E-One Bradley, --Evant Tropic Diver, bronze & green, --Urban Chronograph, —Seiko SNK's green & red,—Seiko Alpinist, —Bertucci A-2T (white), —Certina C-Sport Chrono, orange , —Timex 2002 Reefgear, —Omega Dynamic III (circa 2001), —Hamilton Pan Europe, blue, -- Monta Triumph, green dial.

-1972 Hamilton Pan Europe, -1971 Accutron 219,—Seiko H557 square digital-analog (mine, new in 1984),
    -80's Seiko 6F22 Moonphase, - -70's Timex Electric, —Vostok Signal watch (w/ alarm), -80's Komandirskie (Type 33) -1990 Komandirskie (Type 34) (4 of same!), -Victorinox 1980, —HMT Janata, -1912 Concord Travel Clock/watch (w/engraved dial)

Nice one, John! This is so much fun, isn't it? These scratches at 6 are deeper, but can do them too. Komandirskie 2mm and especially amphybia 3mm crystals can take some DIY polishing. What I do is use 3-4 small grain water sandpapers and toothpaste. Toothpaste is for final finish (polish), 2000 sandpaper before the paste (lightest scratches), 1500 paper (slightly deeper scratches), 1200 paper for deeper scrtaches. I do have 1000 paper somewhere, but I don't usually use it. I do it in steps starting with the 1200 to get the biggest gaps even, and then I buil up to 2000 before the final polish. I drop some water on it during sanding for better results. The final toothpaste polish makes it like new.
    In the beginning I used toothpaste only, but it took forever for bigger scrtaches. A good quality small grain sandpaper does the magic. I always have a 2000 grain sheet close by.
    If you get a chance try it out on a random watch and see for yourself, but take out the besel first, if it has one.
    It shortens the time for polishing, and gives you more time to just stare at the watch :)
    Ivan

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    Nice one, John! This is so much fun, isn't it? These scratches at 6 are deeper, but can do them too. Komandirskie 2mm and especially amphybia 3mm crystals can take some DIY polishing. What I do is use 3-4 small grain water sandpapers and toothpaste. Toothpaste is for final finish (polish), 2000 sandpaper before the paste (lightest scratches), 1500 paper (slightly deeper scratches), 1200 paper for deeper scrtaches. I do have 1000 paper somewhere, but I don't usually use it. I do it in steps starting with the 1200 to get the biggest gaps even, and then I buil up to 2000 before the final polish. I drop some water on it during sanding for better results. The final toothpaste polish makes it like new.
    In the beginning I used toothpaste only, but it took forever for bigger scrtaches. A good quality small grain sandpaper does the magic. I always have a 2000 grain sheet close by.
    If you get a chance try it out on a random watch and see for yourself, but take out the besel first, if it has one.
    It shortens the time for polishing, and gives you more time to just stare at the watch :)
    Ivan
    Ivan,

Thanks for the tips! I may use them in the future.
    As for this guy? I like him the way he is. Nice, but with a trace of his past.

And you're right. This is kinda fun. This is the easy part.
    I have 2 more waiting till I have a few evenings in a row. They need a take-apart...
    Kamburov likes this.

A lovely Kirovskie that I got for less than $15 delivered. The crown is probably replaced, but everything else seems to be correct, it's also in excellent working condition. I bid with bigger sum but nobody seemed to care about it.
    I disassembled and cleaned it with good care. The printing was too good and crisp to take a big risk, but still managed to remove the yellow stuff without spoiling it. Some small traces of thumb prints were too stubborn to dissapear, but they are visible only on a macro photo. Enough is enough, and less is more.
    Ivan
    Name:  13.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  348.6 KB
    Name:  15.JPG
Views: 308
Size:  2.67 MB
    Name:  18.JPG
Size:  2.68 MB

This was looking neglected and unloved on ebay , so I gave it a good clean, think it's happier now.
    Attached Images Attached Images

​I'm afraid one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.

Quote Originally Posted by kev80e View Post
    This was looking neglected and unloved on ebay , so I gave it a good clean, think it's happier now.
    That is nothing short of amazing. I'm about to try removing fifty years of "patina" (Soviet nicotine?) from my new Vympel. Any suggestions? All I know about is Polident and lemon juice, which are both on my shopping list.

Quote Originally Posted by kev80e View Post
    That is nothing short of amazing. I'm about to try removing fifty years of "patina" (Soviet nicotine?) from my new Vympel. Any suggestions? All I know about is Polident and lemon juice, which are both on my shopping list. If Kamburov and/or mroatman want to chime in, all the merrier.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by audiomagnate; May 31st, 2018 at 15:53.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    That is nothing short of amazing. I'm about to try removing fifty years of "patina" (Soviet nicotine?) from my new Vympel. Any suggestions? All I know about is Polident and lemon juice, which are both on my shopping list. If Kamburov and/or mroatman want to chime in, all the merrier.
    I got a sonic cleaner for the case which is so much easier. Still had to finish it off but it was a lot quicker . I look forward to seeing your results.
    ​I'm afraid one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to be able to clean that dial much without removing the beautiful Vympel printing -- which is the only thing that makes this dial rare.

Page 8 of 76 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread Information