Before & After ✨ - Page 9
Like Tree1567Likes

Thread: Before & After ✨

Page 9 of 76 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 59 ... LastLast

Re: Before & After ✨

audiomagnate, I agree with mroatman on this one. The brown stuff is the transparent laquer layer that got brown with age and exposure to moisture and sun radiation. Yeah, probably some nicotine too. Cleaning the dial will mean removing that layer from dial surface. That will probably bring out the dial paint color and the hour markings' golden shine. Moisture can eat through the paint to the metal dial surface, usually forming bubbles or spots like the thumb marks on my kirovskie up the page. If there are no corrosion spots you can manage achieving a reasonably clear white dial, but the laquer layer is no more. It has to be done gently as even cotton can leave markings if swiped with force.
    Then we come to the printing. Fortunately it's not much on this dial (no hour and minute prints), but this iconic logo has very thin lines, and I can't even guess how it will respond to cleaning. Sometimes in my experiments it gets to the point when the dial is clean, and only the logo and jewel count are swimming in pools of brown. I sit there staring at it, wondering if he whole thing was a mistake from the beginning, but it's too late. Sometimes I'm quite lucky with the print. The print on the kirovskie was exellent, I saved every curve and spot, but 1. it was a $15 watch, and 2. I had a NOS dial (the reason I bought it) waiting to take it's place in it. Sometimes I'm not so lucky, and I wish I kept it in the original brown dirty condition.
    Having said all that, I'll be honest with you, I would love getting my hands on this dial. I would pick a very small spot at "made in ussr" and see how it responds. You can use a sharp toothpick to clean the golden hour indentations (dipped slightly in your cleaner of choice). Wood won't scratch the golden surface, but careful not to force a slide and scratch the paint outside it. If you try cleaning them with cotton bud you may overdo the painted area around the markings.
    Whatever you decide, I'll be following this with great interest. I wish I could get this dial, but usually everything with vimpel on it comes with a good pricetag.
    Good luck!
    Ivan

I have a Russian before and after :)

Name:  DSC00881.JPG
Views: 283
Size:  525.2 KB

That's beofre...

And after some work...

Name:  DSC00905.JPG
Views: 275
Size:  318.9 KB

..the watch ticking again. Fast with a new hairspring, I'll have to work on the timing screws one day.
    And a shame I don't have a better minute hand now.

Name:  DSC00908.JPG
Views: 285
Size:  103.7 KB

Name:  DSC00916.JPG
Views: 297
Size:  212.9 KB

The case I only washed in cleaning fluid to bring back some gloss, I don't like polishing silver cases - you loose the details and the patina will be back soon anyway...

Name:  DSC00912.JPG
Views: 295
Size:  186.9 KB

Interestingly - this is not a big Russian-Swiss Tobias, it's a small Russian-Swiss Tobias, a ladies model. Not so common anymore, I guess mnost have been scrapped or thrown away by today...
    Have a great day!!!

Mroatman:
    Swell job seeing new life breathed into a Polject.
    Congrats. Do you live n or near Tallin?

X Traindriver Art

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    audiomagnate, I agree with mroatman on this one. The brown stuff is the transparent laquer layer that got brown with age and exposure to moisture and sun radiation. Yeah, probably some nicotine too. Cleaning the dial will mean removing that layer from dial surface. That will probably bring out the dial paint color and the hour markings' golden shine. Moisture can eat through the paint to the metal dial surface, usually forming bubbles or spots like the thumb marks on my kirovskie up the page. If there are no corrosion spots you can manage achieving a reasonably clear white dial, but the laquer layer is no more. It has to be done gently as even cotton can leave markings if swiped with force.
    Then we come to the printing. Fortunately it's not much on this dial (no hour and minute prints), but this iconic logo has very thin lines, and I can't even guess how it will respond to cleaning. Sometimes in my experiments it gets to the point when the dial is clean, and only the logo and jewel count are swimming in pools of brown. I sit there staring at it, wondering if he whole thing was a mistake from the beginning, but it's too late. Sometimes I'm quite lucky with the print. The print on the kirovskie was exellent, I saved every curve and spot, but 1. it was a $15 watch, and 2. I had a NOS dial (the reason I bought it) waiting to take it's place in it. Sometimes I'm not so lucky, and I wish I kept it in the original brown dirty condition.
    Having said all that, I'll be honest with you, I would love getting my hands on this dial. I would pick a very small spot at "made in ussr" and see how it responds. You can use a sharp toothpick to clean the golden hour indentations (dipped slightly in your cleaner of choice). Wood won't scratch the golden surface, but careful not to force a slide and scratch the paint outside it. If you try cleaning them with cotton bud you may overdo the painted area around the markings.
    Whatever you decide, I'll be following this with great interest. I wish I could get this dial, but usually everything with vimpel on it comes with a good pricetag.
    Good luck!
    Ivan
    FWIW, I've read on Omega forums that re-laquering is no big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    FWIW, I've read on Omega forums that re-laquering is no big deal.
    But how would you reprint that cute little Vympel logo? The printing is what's precious there, and most at risk of getting damaged/ruined.

Kevin, there's the Poljot I was telling you about. It costed abot $40, and probably for a little bit more I could have got a better one (was told it's not that rare). If I waited, that is. Patience, however, is not my biggest virtue when it comes to wristwatches, so I got it especially for this thread, and the conversation we had about the 12,3,6,9 dials.
    The damage to the dial can be seen clearly - corrosion spots that have eaten through laquer and paint, reaching to the dial surface. Also corrosion on the hands through the gold plating. I cleaned it as much as I could, and the print took it quite well (no damage to it whatsoever). Corrosion is beyond repair.
    What does that say about your Vimpel? Not nuch really, but there's what I think - If that yellow/brown stuff responds well to cleaning (if it falls easily, without too much soaking or swiping), you might be in luck. If it doesn't, then you shouldn't risk that logo. So you may try a small spot and see how hard it is to whiten it.
    Re-laquering may be easy, I don't know. I've never been interested in dial redoing. I may take off (clean), but don't add or apply stuff on it. Whith these things (as with many others) less is more. My idea is to highlight the original dial, not to make a new one.
    Hope this has been helpful, although I doubt it :)
    Ivan

PS: This annoying speck of dust at 6 has been hurting my eyes, but I can't be bothered taking new photos right now :)

Name:  19.jpg
Views: 259
Size:  120.0 KB
    Name:  20.JPG
Views: 283
Size:  3.04 MB
    Name:  21.JPG
Views: 273
Size:  3.04 MB
    Name:  22.JPG
Views: 277
Size:  3.42 MB

Quote Originally Posted by mroatman View Post
    But how would you reprint that cute little Vympel logo? The printing is what's precious there, and most at risk of getting damaged/ruined.
    I was assuming you could remove the oxidized/UV damaged lacquer without removing the logo.

Quote Originally Posted by audiomagnate View Post
    I was assuming you could remove the oxidized/UV damaged lacquer without removing the logo.
    Guys, I'm currently the only bidder on this one. I will try to get it (under $10) for expeimental purposes. It's bad enough to sacrifice it for some valuable experience, and it has retained all the printing so it's perfect for this. Will keep you updated.
    Ivan

Name:  29.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  241.1 KB
    Name:  30.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  208.5 KB
    elsoldemayo, mroatman and demag like this.

Perfect test specimen! Plus you get a true Vympel movement in the deal. Good luck. Don't be so sure you are the only bidder as I'm sure there are snipers in Bulgaria like everywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    Guys, I'm currently the only bidder on this one. I will try to get it (under $10) for expeimental purposes. It's bad enough to sacrifice it for some valuable experience, and it has retained all the printing so it's perfect for this. Will keep you updated.
    Ivan

Name:  29.jpg
Views: 252
Size:  241.1 KB
    Name:  30.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  208.5 KB
    That will not turn out well, comrade Ivan. My information and experience with dials from that time is that the printing was done on top of the lacquer.

Page 9 of 76 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 59 ... LastLast

Thread Information