C-3PO 🤖 Wait, no. СЗРП
Like Tree124Likes

Thread: C-3PO 🤖 Wait, no. СЗРП

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

C-3PO 🤖 Wait, no. СЗРП

When I moved to Tallinn, I thought I would have some good luck on the collecting front -- that all kinds of Soviet-watch doors would suddenly open for me. Well, no dice. There are more Soviet watches here than in Colorado, that’s for sure. But the quality is generally awful, and prices are usually high (think: franken Amphibias for €70+). Not quite the windfall I had envisioned.

Well, until now.

Recently, I was quite fortunate to find a collector/seller via eBay who lives in Tallinn. After seeing a desirable piece he was offering for sale on eBay a few weeks back, we began discussing a fair price for an in-person transaction. Today, at long last, we finally met. I walked over to a restored warehouse in the heart of Tallinn's trendiest neighborhood, and I was greeted by an impeccably-dressed Estonian gentleman with round-rimmed spectacles, fluent English, and something special in his pocket: a Ракета СЗРП (Raketa SZRP).

Name:  DSC09650.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  2.04 MB

This watch has made its rounds on the forums before (1, 2, 3, 4; and see Mark Gordon's 0675, 1513), but there still seems to be a fair amount of mystique surrounding this particular design. Let’s clear the air, as best we can.

СЗРП is an acronym for Северо-западное речное пароходство (“North-West Shipping Company”). This company was founded in Saint Petersburg on January 30th, 1923. The company started with 500 watercraft (412 tugboats, 76 cargo-passenger ships, and 12 service vessels), and over the subsequent decades, СЗРП played an important role in fostering the economic development of the northwest region.

(More history here: 1, 2)

Name:  buksir-vo-ldah.jpg
Views: 611
Size:  17.1 KB

Here is a СЗРП-related postcard from 1976:

Name:  1976 postcard.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  64.2 KB

While the name has changed slightly, the company is still operational today.

Name:  57267466_dNZS0ZKNZHGQaEd1S4tbMkv_fL8K-n72zsCUx8_Nguo.jpg
Views: 615
Size:  170.0 KB

So what about this watch? Well, from the NOS examples available to us (1, 2), we can infer these were produced in or around 1990. It is therefore unlikely to be a commemorative model (67th Year Anniversary just doesn’t have a nice ring to it). However, it was an entirely unique dial design, which is different from, say, those with merely a company logo printed onto an otherwise ordinary Raketa dial (like this).

Name:  DSC09664.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  2.14 MB

Name:  DSC09669.jpg
Views: 637
Size:  2.66 MB

The dial is arguably the most logical 24-hour dial produced by Raketa, and the rotating inner bezel makes it a cinch to place noon at the top of the dial (below right), which is my preference for a 24-hour dial.

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-05-18 at 20.42.11.jpg
Views: 616
Size:  290.5 KB

According to the seller and my best assessment, this watch has never been worn. You can see the crowns are sharp and unblemished (I notice these are the first things to start wearing down on these Rakeat 24-hour models).

Name:  DSC09683.jpg
Views: 640
Size:  2.36 MB

The chrome has a nice mirror finish, and the crystal is streamlined.

Name:  DSC09675.jpg
Views: 638
Size:  1.11 MB

I am loathe to remove the case-back for fear of marring the case. I know I could wrap a case-opener in tape or plastic to protect the case, but there's something very appealing about a watch that's never been opened. I think I'll keep it that way. And I promise, there’s definitely a 2623.H in there.

Name:  DSC09684.jpg
Views: 604
Size:  2.00 MB

As controversial as it is, I don't plan to wear this watch. I’ll preserve the NMCWBBNP* status as long as I am the owner.

Name:  DSC09689.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  2.37 MB

Spasibo!

*Near mint condition with box but no papers.
    Last edited by mroatman; May 18th, 2017 at 22:35.

Italy - Between Florence and Champs sur le Bisance

Re: C-3PO 🤖 Wait, no. СЗРП

Wow-watch and really good review

Well done!
    mroatman likes this.
    ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆ http://russian-watches.it/ ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭ 140 Watches exposed online now ☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

I'm normally a big fan of these cases but that dial is the nicest I've seen in one and makes a massive difference. I don't know how you keep finding these excellent watches but I love seeing them and adding to my wanted list.
    mroatman likes this.
    ​I'm afraid one day I will die and my wife will sell my watches for what I told her I paid for them.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Beautiful!
    That is number 1 on my 'must get' list of Soviet 24Hr watches so not in the slightest bit jealous.

*stomps off*
    DC guy, mroatman and kev80e like this.

Wow! Definitely one of the coolest Raketas, and I had no idea it was a commissioned design.
    DC guy and mroatman like this.

Thanks, guys! I really owe this one to Avo. He was extremely patient with me over many weeks of negotiations and scheduling conflicts. He actually bought two of these СЗРП Raketas, both NOS, while traveling in St. Petersburg. Only one had original documents -- that one stayed in Avo's impressive collection -- and I got the pathetic passport-free reject

Maybe he'll peek his head around here. He is a forumer as well.

Really nice story comrade, and a beautiful Paketa.

Congratulations and enjoy it

Enviado desde mi ALE-L21 mediante Tapatalk
    mroatman likes this.

Wow, really really REALLY gorgeous, nice catch Dash!
    mroatman likes this.

Absolutely gorgeous watch. Nice find. Congratulations.

Sent the hard way from my Commodore 64.
    mroatman likes this.
    "You haven't lived until you've stood in front of a couple hundred deeply opinionated and passionate church members to discuss the economic benefits of legalizing the Devil's Water.” - Brother skyefalcon6

"You guys think I know f*** nothing, but let me tell you I know f*** all." - Brother Sogeha

"Skunk from a distance is like 'that there striped animal farted marijuana.' Skunk in the fresh and in close proximity is akin to 'that there striped animal done farted police grade tear gas.' - Brother Impoverished

Glad to hear you finally managed to snag and bag one! One of the nicest 24 hr Raketa's ever produced!
    mroatman likes this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information