Childhood Tankist
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Childhood Tankist

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Childhood Tankist

I originally wrote this as a response to a comment on the Komandirskie thread, but it turned into a bit of a cathartic novel so I decided to make a separate post.

I have a personal connection with the Tankist, an "emotional void" if you will...

I was gifted one of these watches shortly before my family immigrated from Russia to the US in '93. I was 11 at the time. I loved this watch. Unfortunately, it was stolen my first year in an American school. It was hot and my wrist was sweaty, so I took the watch off and laid it on my desk. Next thing I knew, it was gone and nobody around me would fess up (I know it was you, Tina!). Obviously I was pretty distraught at first, but eventually I moved on and forgot all about it. Like many others, I spent the next decade and a half wondering why I would even need a watch when I have a cellphone (first a flip phone, then a smart phone).

Flash forward to now... I am knee deep in my watch obsession, so naturally I decide to find that Komandirskie watch I had as a kid. I still remember exactly what it looked like. From Meranom I figured out that the tank dials have model numbers ending in 306. Unfortunately they no longer carry the exact case shape and bezel that I remember. So working from memory, I took to eBay. I looked for one that was of early 90s vintage, cause you know...the emotional void. I looked for one with those thick crown guards that I distinctly recall, a crown at 3 (not 2), the dash/dot bezel (no triangle), boxy numbers (not the modern rounded ones), caseback with the rising sun, a small seagull, and serial number. The only thing I couldn't quite recall was whether my watch had a flat or rounded crown. After pouring over old Vostok catalogs for a few hours I came to the conclusion that these were produced with both domed and flat crowns without any rhyme or reason.

I now have 3 of these in varying quality. Among the three, this one is the best contender for a genuine NOS early 90s Komandirskie Tank. (Do let me know if you disagree and why.) Every time I wind it, the tactile feeling takes me back. The wobbly spin that ends in satisfyingly springy resistance. Or when you're being a bit fast and loose and the thread accidentally catches, suddenly you're prematurely screwing down the crown. I love it!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7835_small.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	14205245Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7831_small.JPG 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	14205247
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7887_small.JPG 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.85 MB 
ID:	14205251
    Last edited by peskydonut; 1 Week Ago at 05:16.

Re: Childhood Tankist

It truly is the best model that captures a lot of meaning within such a small object. I'm glad you have found such a beautiful example of it.
    Chascomm likes this.

24h

Thanks for sharing your story and these amazing photos

My YouTube Channel for watch modding and I​nstagram for (mostly) Russian watches

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

It may well be that your very first Tankist had CCCP printed on the bottom of the dial. Depending on how you look back in history and your feelings about it, perhaps it may be worth chasing that one as well
    They are still around in very good / NOS condition ......

Great story that dial is one of the 2 that I'm drawn to, the other being a submarine (I went with a sub).
    Also I didn't know that the dial was numbered according to the "art" I would love to know the number for submarines! It would be a great help? Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my K92 using Tapatalk

I am drawn to the tank watches as well and thank you for sharing your story, best regards, james.

HOME OF THE
    SIDEWINDER

HOME OF THE CASEBACK TOOL

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    It may well be that your very first Tankist had CCCP printed on the bottom of the dial. Depending on how you look back in history and your feelings about it, perhaps it may be worth chasing that one as well
    They are still around in very good / NOS condition ......
    You know, I don't remember that detail from the dial. It could've been there or it could've not been there. The timeline is a little fuzzy. I left in 1993, by which point there was no longer a USSR. However, I received the watch not long before that, say in 1992. I don't know how long these watches sat before they were sold, but say they were produced the year before, 1991...that is right in the middle of the USSR dissolution.

The other two tanks do bear the "сделано в ссср" inscription. Here's all 3 of them for comparison...

Name:  komandirskie_a_small.JPG
Views: 40
Size:  1.34 MB
    Name:  komandirskie_b_small.JPG
Views: 41
Size:  1.39 MB
    Name:  komandirskie_c_small.JPG
Views: 43
Size:  1.34 MB
    Last edited by peskydonut; 1 Week Ago at 23:01.
    24h and guspech750 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Slm643 View Post
    Great story that dial is one of the 2 that I'm drawn to, the other being a submarine (I went with a sub).
    Also I didn't know that the dial was numbered according to the "art" I would love to know the number for submarines! It would be a great help? Thanks for sharing!

I believe the two submarine dial designs are 163 and 289

https://meranom.com/en/search/?searc...ilter_name=163
    https://meranom.com/en/search/?searc...ilter_name=289

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by peskydonut View Post
    Thank you, Very much, Kind sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Slm643 View Post
    Thank you, Very much, Kind sir!

You're very welcome. In general the Vostok model numbers (at least Amphibia and Komandirskie) consist of 6 numbers, the first 3 are the case style and the last 3 are the dial design.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information