Demagnetizer - Page 2
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Demagnetizer

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Demagnetizer

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    Maybe spoon was a bad example but if you google if stainless steel is magnetic you will see that the answer is YES. How much it is marnetic depends on the composition of the particular steel.

Now, to the question: can compass be used to detect a magnetized watch? yes! Can Lepsi be used? Yes. When I magnetize my screwdrivers both methods effectively detect it. When I demagnetize them again both methods equally effective. What is more convenient? For me it is a compass that sits on my bench. If Lepsi works better for you then for sure use it but I am yet to see any Pro taking out his iphone to test a watch 🙂

Still not sure? Do you trust Bergeon? Take a look at the attached.
    Actually I expected Bergenon to sell these for at least $2000 to $3000 being it's Bergenon and they are obviously special watch compasses!.
    That's a deal for those guy's...
    I have heard that you should demagnetize a watch when it is not running. I have done it both ways and do not find a difference, works equally as well.
    Last edited by jimzilla; December 9th, 2019 at 02:12.

HOME OF THE
    SIDEWINDER

HOME OF THE CASEBACK TOOL

HOME OF THE WINDER TOOL

Quote Originally Posted by engblom View Post
    The compass needle is a magnet and a magnet will be attracted to iron, regardless of if it is magnetic or not. I think the compass test is not very good, unless one got a reference in how strongly that particular compass reacts...
    So you are telling me that the 'deflection' method, using a trail compass does not work, in spite of me using it successfully for many years? I beg to differ and a watch is not a simple iron ore but steel, with varying degrees of carbon etc.

I don't wish to press my point but reputable watch dealers like Bergeon can't all be wrong can they? I use a thirty year old compass I used to use for orienteering. No fancy stuff in wooden boxes for me.

Name:  Silva Compass.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  3.09 MB
    Last edited by antilucem; December 9th, 2019 at 05:45.
    DJW GB likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    Yes, compasses are the most often suggested means to test for magnetism. I've often wondered how much it would cost to completely tool a watchmakers bench with Bergeon.
    Name:  raw.png
Views: 81
Size:  161.9 KB
    schnurrp likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thing is, even if you aren't certain, a demag can be beneficial esp if you notice rougher running, maybe a gain here and there. Our poor watches are constantly swamped with magnetism whether its from the outside world to being near a magnetic mount for a LED lamp and over time they accrete it more and more.
    antilucem likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by antilucem View Post
    So you are telling me that the 'deflection' method, using a trail compass does not work, in spite of me using it successfully for many years? I beg to differ and a watch is not a simple iron ore but steel, with varying degrees of carbon etc.

I don't wish to press my point but reputable watch dealers like Bergeon can't all be wrong can they? I use a thirty year old compass I used to use for orienteering. No fancy stuff in wooden boxes for me.

Name:  Silva Compass.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  3.09 MB
    After demagnitizing a watch, I noticed that the accuracy improved significantly, but the compass needed would still move when hovering the watch over the compass, almost the same way as before demagnitizing. Have you noticed this with some watches?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    Unfortunately you are mistaken a bit. Try this, take a spoon from your kitchen and give it a try. I just did: compass is not reacting. Nor does it react after I demagnetize anything (drivers, screws, etc). Compass is a very good tool to test watches!
    Have you noticed that knives are more magnetic than spoons?

What I want to know is this:
    Is a watch movement made primarily of spoon or knife?

antilucem and DJW GB like this.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

A compass needle is magnetized. Here is a source if you don't believe me https://www.explainthatstuff.com/how...sses-work.html
    Since a compass needle is a magnet itself, something that is magnetized will only attract one end of the needle and repel the other end. If the object attracts both ends of the needle, it's not magnetized, just the magnetic needle being attracted to a ferrous item.
    Chascomm and SuffolkGerryW like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dontbelievemejuswatch View Post
    After demagnitizing a watch, I noticed that the accuracy improved significantly, but the compass needed would still move when hovering the watch over the compass, almost the same way as before demagnitizing. Have you noticed this with some watches?
    Yes, and I followed some instructions that I acquired and repeated the process until the deflection was minimal, but not all at once because the equipment will overheat. I was a bit timid the first time and I think it took me about a dozen or so passes to completely demagnetise my 3133. I presume because of the amount of metal in the movement.

A fully demagnetized watch will not cause a compass needle to move. I have never needed to do it a dozen times but I guess it depends on the strength of the demagnetizer. My guess is that you may be using a small blue box from china. True? In my experience this specific device is quite weak and it may take many passes to clear a big watch like 3133.

Wow - a lot of differing opinions on methods on this thread - confusing.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information