Demagnetizer
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Demagnetizer

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Demagnetizer

Can I use a de-magnetizer at any time, will it hurt the watch if it's not magnetized to start with?

Re: Demagnetizer

You can use it anytime but why would you not check first using a simple compass and check afterwards to see if successful?

Quote Originally Posted by antilucem View Post
    You can use it anytime but why would you not check first using a simple compass and check afterwards to see if successful?
    The compass needle is a magnet and a magnet will be attracted to iron, regardless of if it is magnetic or not. I think the compass test is not very good, unless one got a reference in how strongly that particular compass reacts...

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by engblom View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by antilucem View Post
    The compass needle is a magnet and a magnet will be attracted to iron, regardless of if it is magnetic or not. I think the compass test is not very good, unless one got a reference in how strongly that particular compass reacts...
    Unfortunately you are mistaken a bit. Try this, take a spoon from your kitchen and give it a try. I just did: compass is not reacting. Nor does it react after I demagnetize anything (drivers, screws, etc). Compass is a very good tool to test watches!
    schumacher62 and antilucem like this.

get the Lepsi mobile app. it’s free and exceptionally accurate for detecting magnetism. i use it on an iphone. all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    Unfortunately you are mistaken a bit. Try this, take a spoon from your kitchen and give it a try. I just did: compass is not reacting. Nor does it react after I demagnetize anything (drivers, screws, etc). Compass is a very good tool to test watches!
    A spoon is stainless steel which is not magnetic
    schumacher62 and joecool like this.

A spoon is stainless steel which is not magnetic

I think there may be some confusion over magnetic and magnetized. Stainless steel is nonmagnetic...meaning a magnet will not stick to it. Iron is magnetic, which is why it is used for compass pointers. It reacts to the earth's magnetic field, or to any magnet that is close enough. But it is not magnetized (unless it has been exposed to a strong magnet, in which case it can no longer function as a compass).
    joecool likes this.

Maybe spoon was a bad example but if you google if stainless steel is magnetic you will see that the answer is YES. How much it is marnetic depends on the composition of the particular steel.

Now, to the question: can compass be used to detect a magnetized watch? yes! Can Lepsi be used? Yes. When I magnetize my screwdrivers both methods effectively detect it. When I demagnetize them again both methods equally effective. What is more convenient? For me it is a compass that sits on my bench. If Lepsi works better for you then for sure use it but I am yet to see any Pro taking out his iphone to test a watch 🙂

Still not sure? Do you trust Bergeon? Take a look at the attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Maybe spoon was a bad example but if you google if stainless steel is magnetic you will see that the answer is YES. How much it is marnetic depends on the composition of the particular steel.

Now, to the question: can compass be used to detect a magnetized watch? yes! Can Lepsi be used? Yes. When I magnetize my screwdrivers both methods effectively detect it. When I demagnetize them again both methods equally effective. What is more convenient? For me it is a compass that sits on my bench. If Lepsi works better for you then for sure use it but I am yet to see any Pro taking out his iphone to test a watch

Still not sure? Do you trust Bergeon? Take a look at the attached.
    Yes, compasses are the most often suggested means to test for magnetism. I've often wondered how much it would cost to completely tool a watchmakers bench with Bergeon.

I have these:

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 97
Size:  119.6 KB

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information