Did I just buy a franken Poljot Shturmanskie 31659?
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Did I just buy a franken Poljot Shturmanskie 31659?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Did I just buy a franken Poljot Shturmanskie 31659?

I've had my eye on these for a few months and should have done more research before buying this. But my wife just spent $700 on clothes, so I was kinda out for revenge. Besides I wanted to round out the Russian watch collection to an even number. Makes sense right?

But, I think I might have bought myself a Franken. Some of you may recoginzie this auction, as it just ended this morning (Sept 22) at $156. Have at it forum experts! What did I just buy? (either way, I really like it, so am gonna keep it.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

serdal23 likes this.

Hi Zeosy: sorry to say, that is a franken - wrong type of case for a 31659 movement (if it is a 31659 - cant tell from that angle, but if it is you got it for a reasonable price) - the case should have a fixed bezel - not this case with the rotating bezel and bezel crown on the 9. Also note the large gap between the bezel and the indices. The dial looks legitimate with the sunken subdials but the dial indices appear to have been relumed. Hands look okay. However it shouldn't be too difficult to find the correct case for this movement and dial.
    Last edited by Ham2; September 23rd, 2012 at 00:41.

Re: Did I just buy a franken Poljot Shturmanskie 31659?

Yes, wrong case.
    Anyway, the price is good! and you have a 31659 instead of a 3133... not bad :)

Overall, your watch is pretty nice!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Ham2 and Koutouzoff. Thank you both for the info. What do I look for to find the correct case? I'd luv to get this back to stock, if possible. Are there any other issues that can see aside from the case? What about the movement?

The correct case is very similar to the one you have but the number bezel will be black and there will not be an extra crown at the number 9. The case should be stainless steel. The stamped sturmanskie case back you have is correct. As for the movement: a photograph from the other side of the bridge with the 31659 stamp will help - there should be a small lever responsible for the hacking ability for this movement.

Once I receive the watch in a few days, I'll take another photo and post it. But wouldn't I know if it had hacking just by pulling out the crown and seeing if the second hand stops? Also back to the case, should the correct case for a 31659 have a crown at 9? I've seen lots of Sturmanskies without the 9pm crown. I'm not even sure what the 9pm crown does. (I haven't gotten the watch yet.)

Pulling the crown out to see if the constant seconds stops will work just as well as a photo:) 3133 movements are found in sturmanskie cases with and without the crown at 9 (this crown rotates the inner bezel). 31659s were only found in cases without the extra crown.

Would you expet the crown at 9 to actually function and rotate the bezel if this trully is a 31659 with the hacking feature? That might not be such a bad thing. Do you know why they removed that feature from the 31659?

The crown should rotate the bezel - it is just not a military 31659 case.

After doing a little research and comparing my watch with other 31659, I noticed something that the bridge on my watch (pictured at the beginning of this post) does not have a issue date stamped in it. Does this signify anything? Also, I posted a request in the Parts thread for a 31659 case and bracelet. If anyone happens to know where I can buy either of those, please let me know. Thanks!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information