Early Generation Komandirskie's
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Early Generation Komandirskie's

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Early Generation Komandirskie's

Comrades,

I've noticed that while there have been a few individual discussions as to early-generation Komandirskie's, it is scattered across several threads. With this post, I would like to consolidate that information as sort of a master record - taking a hint from this older post: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/vos...0m-554022.html.

Also, I just wanted to create a post for people to post photos of their early-generation Komandirskie's for all of us to enjoy.

Any contributions would be welcome. I am happy to maintain the albums showing examples of each type, and will add any additional photos that people want to post.

I would like to thank comrades Afka, Amil, Geoff Adams, fcafca, Ham2, kev80e, mariomart, mroatman, OKEAH, and Schnurrp for having posted photos of their watches, which I have shamelessly stolen and re-used here. If you would like your photos removed, I would be happy to do so; just let me know. In the linked albums, I have tried to credit the photos to the original poster; if someone wants to claim a photo, again, just let me know.

First Generation

It has been widely accepted that first generation Komandirskie's have dials that show 12/6/9, and have equilateral triangles indices for all other hours. Fortunately, there seem to be a reasonable number of these out there to set a knowledge base. A further unique aspect of this watch is that it employs "necktie"-style hour and minute hands, which became ubiquitous on Amphibias, but were never re-used on classic Komandirskie's.

Examples:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mariomart - 2.jpg 
Views:	563 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	11643762Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OKEAH - 2.jpg 
Views:	572 
Size:	60.7 KB 
ID:	11643770

Example Photos Dial Color Dial Markings Hands Case Caseback Movement
    Generation 1 Komandirskie - Album on Imgur White and Black 12/6/9
    Equilateral triangle indices
    H: Necktie
    M: Necktie
    S: Arrow tip, no feathers
    Stainless Steel

Exception: Photo Schnurrp - 2 shows gold/brass
    Radial "ПРОТИВОУДАРНЫЕ" on top

Some show "2214" or "2234," others do not show movement number
    Most examples are 2234

Occasional examples are 2214

Generation 1.5(a) - Isosceles Triangles

I believe that the next iteration maintains the 12/6/9, but the triangle indices narrow to a slim isosceles triangle.

Name:	Mariomart - 4.jpg 
Views:	531 
Size:	769.7 KB 
ID:	11643786

These appear to be much more rare - only a handful have been posted. However, we have the been fortunate enough that a (hopefully contemporary!) poster has been discovered which shows this watch:

Name:	mroatman - 6.jpg 
Views:	568 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	11643802

This poster shows an extremely unique set of hands, not seen on any other Komandirskie or Amphibia, before or after. It has been speculated that the poster was fake, showing a watch that never existed; however, comrade mroatman has recently discovered a photo of this elusive timepiece:

Name:  mroatman - 5.jpg
Views: 548
Size:  27.0 KB

I don't know the significance of this with respect to the other examples I have been able to find. I find it difficult to believe that they ALL have replaced hands, and the sword style is much more common. I also find it strange that a poster showing only one of the most rare variants of this watch would have been made, but at this point, it's all just speculation.

I believe that these watches came next in time after the equilateral triangle examples above. The minor design variation to me is more of an incremental improvement as opposed to the re-design that we will later see. Additionally, this model appears powered by a 2214 movement.

http://imgur.com/a/ANsyr White Only 12/6/9
    Isosceles triangle indices
    H: Sword
    M: Sword
    Stainless Steel

Exception: Photo mroatman - 2 shows gold/brass.
    Radial "ПРОТИВОУДАРНЫЕ" on top

No known examples in Latin script

All examples to date show 2214
    All examples to date are 2214

Generation 1.5(b) - Bar Indicies; Double-Bar at 6

The next type I wish to bring up is the somewhat more common model, showing only a 12, and bars for all other indices, with a double-bar at 6.

Name:	Ham2 - 1.jpg 
Views:	517 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	11643834

I don't have any hard evidence for this, but I believe that this iteration of watch is the contemporary of the above-shown isosceles triangle model. My circumstantial evidence is that: (a) it maintains the same hands (poster and one example aside), including the no-feather arrow-tipped seconds hand which will be replaced by the "cupid" hand in subsequent models; and (b) the isosceles triangle model has only ever been shown in white, while this example has only ever been shown in black. The earliest generation was available in both colors. My thesis is that these Generations 1.5(a) and (b) were made concurrently, to maintain stock of watches in both colors, but the changed dial design was to further differentiate the styles. Additionally, this model has been found using the 2214 movement, while the later-described style does not.

Komandirskie - Double-Bars - Album on Imgur Black Only 12

Bar indices

Double-bar at 6

Exceptions: babadinga - 1 and 2 show necktie-style hands

mroatman - 1 shows the "cupid"-style seconds hand
    Stainless Steel and Brass/Gold both seem to be about equal in number Radial "ПРОТИВОУДАРНЫЕ" on top

Some examples show movement number, some do not
    Examples exist of both 2214 and 2234

Generation 2 - 1/12, 13/24 dial

The next type I wish to bring up is the model showing only all numbers, 1-12 and 13-24 inside that.

Name:	Geoff Adams - 1.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	524.0 KB 
ID:	11643842

I believe that this style came subsequent to the prior designs. The dial is a wholesale change over the prior design, and the seconds hand has now been replaced with the "cupid"-style.

We have evidence for this style from a catalog:

Name:	Catelog.jpg 
Views:	550 
Size:	1.78 MB 
ID:	11643858

I believe that this watch was relatively short-lived as well, and pretty soon, Vostok settled in to the ubiquitous 12/6/9 with bar indices.

Komandirskie 1-12/13-24 - Album on Imgur Black Only 1-12;
    13-24
    S: "cupid"-style

Exceptions: amil - 1 shows the no-feathers, arrow-tip seconds hand

kev80e - 1 shows the no-feathers, arrow-tip seconds hand
    Stainless Steel and Brass/Gold both seem to be about equal in number Radial "ПРОТИВОУДАРНЫЕ" on top

All examples to date show 2234
    I believe that all examples to date are 2234

I hope that anyone else with additional evidence will come forward! I would love to see an example that breaks all the rules, like a white dialed double-bar.

Please chip in with any additional knowledge you may have, and post your early-generation Komandirskie photos for all to enjoy!

I'd like to cite to the following forum posts as having provided the necessary info for the above:
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/first-generation-christopol-komandirskie-ca-1966-%91necktie%92-%91amphibia%92-hands-variant-1504002.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/komandirskie-chistopol-1st-generation-2214-unknown-dial-792682.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/second-generation-christopol-komandirskie-ca-1960s-interesting-scarce-dial-3828458.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/old-chistopol-komandirskie-766631.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/rare-old-christopolkomandirskie-i-have-question-about-metal-bracelet-3874034.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/komandirskie-conundrum-3450498.html

Thank you.

- Brian
    Last edited by bpmurray; April 28th, 2017 at 15:11.

Re: Early Generation Komandirskie's

Fantastic...thank you!!!
    herdingwetcats likes this.

Great work Brian

You were right to bring all the resources together in one place and I thank you for the time and effort you have given in doing so.

Cheers

And here is my happy little family

Name:  2017-04-02 13.42.54.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  2.04 MB
    heimdalg and OKEAH like this.
    My YouTube Channel

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mariomart View Post
    Great work Brian

You were right to bring all the resources together in one place and I thank you for the time and effort you have given in doing so.

Cheers

And here is my happy little family
    Thank you! Are you able to confirm my caseback/movement information? That was the hardest to compile since really, who looks at photos of casebacks? I'd appreciate if you can post that exact same photo but showing the caseback of each watch instead of the dial!

Quote Originally Posted by bpmurray View Post
    Thank you! Are you able to confirm my caseback/movement information? That was the hardest to compile since really, who looks at photos of casebacks? I'd appreciate if you can post that exact same photo but showing the caseback of each watch instead of the dial!
    I'll see what I can do tomorrow, it's nearly midnight here on the Aussie West coast. I'm pretty sure the early Komandirskies had 2234's in them as I think all mine hack with the crown extended.
    My YouTube Channel

Nice work, comrade. Did you mean to say stainless steel for the case or chrome-plated brass? I don't believe I've ever seen a stainless steel case for these and I doubt Chistopol had the capability back then.

I would also like to ask if anyone has seen this date wheel with the large single digit font. I think it looks really cool and I wonder if it's an old version. Mine hacks despite the 2214 on the back.

Hands re-lumed by me.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 498
Size:  71.6 KB
    kev80e likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mariomart View Post
    I'll see what I can do tomorrow, it's nearly midnight here on the Aussie West coast. I'm pretty sure the early Komandirskies had 2234's in them as I think all mine hack with the crown extended.
    Thank you, much appreciated! That is absolutely a fantastic collection. Now you just have to find the isosceles model with the funky cathedral hands!

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    Nice work, comrade. Did you mean to say stainless steel for the case or chrome-plated brass? I don't believe I've ever seen a stainless steel case for these and I doubt Chistopol had the capability back then.

I would also like to ask if anyone has seen this date wheel with the large single digit font. I think it looks really cool and I wonder if it's an old version. Mine hacks despite the 2214 on the back.

Hands re-lumed by me.
    You are absolutely right re: chrome/brass vs. stainless steel. Oversight on my part!

For the font, look at photo Geoff Adams - 1, Ham2 - 1, and mroatman - 1 on the album. Is that what you are talking about? It seems like there was an even mix between bigger and smaller font sizes.

Wow, that poster (and watch) is cool!
    schnurrp likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bpmurray View Post

For the font, look at photo Geoff Adams - 1, Ham2 - 1, and mroatman - 1 on the album. Is that what you are talking about? It seems like there was an even mix between bigger and smaller font sizes.
    Oh, I didn't notice all those very helpful photos. It appears that all but the newest of the first gen komandirskies had this date wheel design with the single digits occupying the entire window.

Quote Originally Posted by schnurrp View Post
    Oh, I didn't notice all those very helpful photos. It appears that all but the newest of the first gen komandirskies had this date wheel design with the single digits occupying the entire window.
    I would be very interested to see a date-wheel comparison of 2214 vs 2234's. Maybe therein lies the difference?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information