Early Poljot with date, but 16 Jewels? - Page 3
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Early Poljot with date, but 16 Jewels?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Early Poljot with date, but 16 Jewels?

My feeling is that 16 jewel movements are genuine. Probably from early models as suggested. But we cannot dismiss the hypothesis that they could have found their way in to the wrong case.

Not so sure about 2414 having a 16j version. Kinda think this bridge should belong to a 2409. Then again, I've been surprised before.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamburov View Post
    It's just that my experience corresponds to the catalogue. Maybe earlier production of the models were with 16j and at some point changed to 17j.
    Maybe some info shows up to prove just that. The subject is still open, I guess.

Ask and ye shall receive...

You are right in saying that the 2414 from 1MChZ is a 17j, but you are wrong in believing that the one we are talkin' about here is a 2414...

The space under the serial number, where the caliber code is expected to be stamped, is empty. This indicates a model produced before the introduction of the 4-digits coding system, therefore it's useless to look into catalogs from the '70s: we should go way back in time and take those from the early '60s instead.

The reference book for that era is the 1960 "Vinogradov" catalog, a bible that all collectors have become familiar with.

But since people are most interested in wristwatches, they usually end their reading at page 156, with only a few brave ones venturing to pages 159-161 into the pocket watches wild territory; and I believe that the indexes printed in the last pages are less frequented than the Sahara.

A pity, because that's exactly where the solution of this enigma lies.

Brands/models are pictured in the catalog in alphabetical order, and are indexed as such on the very last page (unnumbered).

On pages 268 to 271, though, there's the list by factory:

Name:  poljot 60 3.PNG
Views: 30
Size:  39.4 KB

Here's the first mention of the "Poljot" brand, with also a special remark about the presence of a calendar... does it remind of something?

Of course this isn't the place for technical specifications, so nothing is said about size or jewel count; and what's worst, if we go searching for Poljot in the alphabetical index we find nothing.

It looks like an impasse; but...

Name:  poljot 60 4.PNG
Views: 30
Size:  76.5 KB

"Часы разные, освоенные в 1960 г" (Google poorly translates it as "Various watches learned in 1960", I think that "introduced" or the likes gives a better idea): a whole section that, I bet, is practically unknown to most.

Just sayin', we could read about the Rubin (!), the Stolichnie (!!) or even the Slava Transistor (!!!) there; but we are here for the 16j Poljot, so let's jump to page 248 and here you have it:

Name:  poljot 60.PNG
Views: 29
Size:  164.1 KB
    Name:  poljot 60 2.PNG
Views: 28
Size:  186.0 KB

So, long story short: the watches shown in this thread are legit and belong to the larger 45ChN-type family (ChN-780K has baton indexes, the one with numerals must be a later model); and the 24mm 16j caliber with date, ancestor of the 2414, shall be referred to as 46M.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wow! It really is down there where nobody goes
    Straigh_time, this is some of the finest investigation work! Fantastic!
    joaot's gut feeling was right too.
    That puts it in a quite narrow timeframe. By 1964 the 17j 2414 was Poljot's standard, so that is what, about 3 years of production? I guess it was based on the 16j 2409 stolichnie, then quickly upgraded to the 17j version.
    I'm going through old catalogs now, like I've never seen them before This is ridiculous!
    In a good way, of course

Now look at reply number 11. Did I tell you so? Just kidding... Great work Straight_Time! I have seen that section. This is when I found some of my watches but I forgot this Poljot was there.... While reading this thread I went to the catalog from 1968 cause there are Poljots ‘Kirovskie’ described there but then I got distracted. You have done superbly.
    Kamburov likes this.

Fantastic job Straight_Time! Thank you for clarifying this.

Great detective work Straight_time.

THX very much.
    Hm maybe sell this watch.

Quote Originally Posted by PiotrS View Post
    THX very much.
    Hm maybe sell this watch.
    Why?

I'm sorry for answering so late.
    I bought this watch by accident and it wasn't expensive.
    It measures time well. I'm only interested in 3133.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information