Early Poljot with date, but 16 Jewels?
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Early Poljot with date, but 16 Jewels?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Early Poljot with date, but 16 Jewels?

This watch was recently offered on the bay:

Soviet Russian Vintage Watch POLJOT 1MCHZ 16 Jewels | eBay

As you can see, the watch as the date, so I assumed a 17 jewel 2414, but in the photo of the movement, it says 16 Jewels. Is there some rare 2408 that was modified to have a date mechanism, or is this part of the movement a replacement part?

Re: Early Poljot with date, but 16 Jewels?

Quote Originally Posted by davout06 View Post
    This watch was recently offered on the bay:

Soviet Russian Vintage Watch POLJOT 1MCHZ 16 Jewels | eBay

As you can see, the watch as the date, so I assumed a 17 jewel 2414, but in the photo of the movement, it says 16 Jewels. Is there some rare 2408 that was modified to have a date mechanism, or is this part of the movement a replacement part?
    I would have thought 17 jewel "stolichnie" because it has the shock-proofed balance however I just looked at an identical watch of mine and it has the same set up. Pretty unlikely (though not impossible) that two such Poljots exist modified in exactly the same way (balances replaced?). I don't think the date function has anything to do with the jewel count on this type of Poljot.

Yes, I saw you had posted a photo of the front of your watch in another thread, and I was wondering what was inside!

Now, I am rather new to Soviet watches, but from what I have gathered in my research of past postings here, the early Poljot branded watches had movements that chronologically progressed from 2408 (16 jewels, no shockproof, no calendar) to 2409 (17 jewels, shockproof, no calendar) to 2414 (17 jewels, shockproof, with calendar). So in this set-up, there is no possible 16 jewel piece with calendar. Similarly, in searching in this forum and other websites (including the list of movements at movements1), I cannot find any 16 jewel movement that had been made with a calendar. Really strange!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Valley of Death, but I fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in The Valley

That's odd....mine is 17 Jewels (Bienna 17 Uewels <----yep Uewels, not Jewels)?? So apparently these are like opening a Cracker Jack box, there's always a surprise inside...

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "....I drank what?"

Yes, I saw you had posted a photo of the front of your watch in another thread, and I was wondering what was inside!

Now, I am rather new to Soviet watches, but from what I have gathered in my research of past postings here, the early Poljot branded watches had movements that chronologically progressed from 2408 (16 jewels, no shockproof, no calendar) to 2409 (17 jewels, shockproof, no calendar) to 2414 (17 jewels, shockproof, with calendar). So in this set-up, there is no possible 16 jewel piece with calendar. Similarly, in searching in this forum and other websites (including the list of movements at movements1), I cannot find any 16 jewel movement that had been made with a calendar. Really strange!
    Mark Gordon has several in his collection all 17 jewels but this one listed as 17 jewels, well:

A difference I saw was the 17 jewel movement was double shock-proof. There may have been some produced with and without date that had only shock-proof balance and 16 jewels before they progressed to 17 jewel double shockproof.
    Last edited by schnurrp; September 9th, 2013 at 22:35.

That is a plausible scenario. Perhaps there was some aspect of poor performance that quickly manifested, and led to a prompt change in movement? Schnurrp, how well does yours run?

That is a plausible scenario. Perhaps there was some aspect of poor performance that quickly manifested, and led to a prompt change in movement? Schnurrp, how well does yours run?
    Can get it to tick but it needs service.

The Valley of Death, but I fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in The Valley

That sounds very reasonable. You know, now and again we see scenarios like this so seems very plausible. I've never had mine open before today (that I remember), so I was curious as to what I was gonna find. Kinda worried it might say "Made in China"....
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "....I drank what?"

Hi
    I turn up.
    I also have such a watch. It's very precise.
    What year is this? What's not original?
    Please help me, don't get over these watches.
    Name:  c07bb9760f3207da.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  1.18 MB
    Name:  b0739d34f5685af2.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  1.03 MB
    Chascomm likes this.

Sorry mistake, I still see photos ...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by PiotrS; 3 Weeks Ago at 10:01. Reason: duplicate

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information