Evolution-resurrection of Slava Amphibian Sadko - another watch.ru limited project - Page 8
Like Tree156Likes

Thread: Evolution-resurrection of Slava Amphibian Sadko - another watch.ru limited project

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Re: Evolution-resurrection of Slava Amphibian Sadko - another watch.ru limited project

Quote Originally Posted by tokareva View Post
    What is the value of an original Sadko like that? Thanks
    They are so rare that it is hard to give it a real value. There had been one for sale on Avito.ru for months, maybe years, with an asking price in the multiple thousands (can't remember what), but from a seller with notoriously crazy high pricing. The problem was, who else even had one to sell? I wonder if that is the one now being pictured here.

Anyway, if you actually want to buy an original, be prepared to spend BIG $$$, and you'll probably need help from inside the former USSR from serious watch sellers to even locate one, which could take quite a while. If one were to pop up on eBay, who knows how high it might get. At least $2,000 is my guess, but who knows.

Re: Evolution-resurrection of Slava Amphibian Sadko - another watch.ru limited project

Quote Originally Posted by bpmurray View Post
    They are so rare that it is hard to give it a real value. There had been one for sale on Avito.ru for months, maybe years, with an asking price in the multiple thousands (can't remember what), but from a seller with notoriously crazy high pricing. The problem was, who else even had one to sell? I wonder if that is the one now being pictured here.

Anyway, if you actually want to buy an original, be prepared to spend BIG $$$, and you'll probably need help from inside the former USSR from serious watch sellers to even locate one, which could take quite a while. If one were to pop up on eBay, who knows how high it might get. At least $2,000 is my guess, but who knows.
    I also remember that.... and if I m not mistaken he asked for 1 million rubles which is round 15k $ nowadays..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    tokareva likes this.

That is fantastic news!thanks for it! 🙂

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by kakefe View Post
    I also remember that.... and if I m not mistaken he asked for 1 million rubles which is round 15k $ nowadays..
    That price sounds familiar. To be fair, that could be a perfectly reasonable price for a real-life Sadko. There is just no way to tell, since so few of them are even known to exist.

Thanks for the input regarding the price comrades. Why are they so scarce, were they all destroyed somehow or just not many produced? Why weren't more produced, was it an unpopular model? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tokareva View Post
    Thanks for the input regarding the price comrades. Why are they so scarce, were they all destroyed somehow, or just not many produced? Why weren't more produced, was it an unpopular model? Thanks.
    Unfortunately, outside of this catalog image from a 1983 catalog alongside the rare (but not nearly THIS rare Slava Diver), there is just very little information available:

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 11.41.30 AM.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  123.5 KB
    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-04-11 at 11.41.59 AM.png
Views: 231
Size:  107.2 KB

My best guess is that the Sadko fell into the same trap as most of the watches we consider rare or even extremely rare today such as the Raketa 3031 -- there was an insufficient market to justify continuing to make them. For the Sadko, it required a unique case and caseback, a more complex movement (day/date) than would ever really be necessary on a diver, plus the difficulty of actually making it waterproof for which Second Moscow was ill equipped. This is a lot of work, and for what? There would have been no internal market for it, because the cost would be exorbitant and the demand could easily be filled by supply from Chistopol. Remember, these were weren't different companies in direct competition with each other as they would have been in the West, but were essentially two divisions of the same parent corporation.

As an export, it would have been a disaster. Sadko was the protagonist in a Slavic epic, which absolutely no one outside of the USSR would ever have heard of, so the name would have been nonsensical. Add in the Cyrillic day wheel and case back, plus the fact that it is undeniably ugly, and they wouldn't have been able to give these away for free in western Europe.

My guess is that there was an effort made to roll these out, but probably just a single production run because the sales did not justify continuing to make any more beyond that.

Guys, don't forget that the prices for the original soviet watches is usually super inflated. A friend of mine sent me a link today to an original NvCh watch, with a price tag of $850, which, clearly, does not reflect the recent Meranom's project.

Quote Originally Posted by sorcer View Post
    Guys, don't forget that the prices for the original soviet watches is usually super inflated. A friend of mine sent me a link today to an original NvCh watch, with a price tag of $850, which, clearly, does not reflect the recent Meranom's project.
    I mean... it's extremely for a vintage watch to cost more than a modern homage or re-make. This was true for the 300m homage, the Slava diver homage, etc. I don't think this means the prices of the originals are inflated, they are simply different watches with different values.

I'm in too.
    Misrob and Danilao like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Zany4 View Post
    This watch is going to be a sexy beast. I really hope the case back will feature the gusli playing Sadko art whether it is machine engraved or laser etched. If the dial is a faithful recreation of the Sadko text and the unique day / date windows are the same it will be really special. Was the original Slava Sadko more orange or red colored? This was a big debate with the recent Slava Amphibia project so I am just curious. I prefer more red but will be very happy with whatever is decided.

I don't think it will be complete without the Sadko/gusli caseback.

Ideally embossed.

It's a good watch to pick for this kind of project in my view. Distinctive.

Roll up and get you name down so it can get started!

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread Information