Experts, chime in: Raketa 24hr blue / red bezel
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Experts, chime in: Raketa 24hr blue / red bezel

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Experts, chime in: Raketa 24hr blue / red bezel

Hello, all. This is my first time posting here, as you can easily tell.

Although I have a small collection of watches, I somehow only recently became aware of 24-hour mechanisms and decided I needed one. Found this on eBay yesterday. I know it is beat to hell, but I quite like the visual effect of the wear and based on a bit of research believe that the movement is genuine. A couple of things have me confused, though:

• Although the face otherwise perfectly matches early examples of Raketa submariners, there is no "Made in USSR" text under the anchor.
    • The serial number stamped on the backplate is only three digits (appears to be "888") rather than 5-6 digits

Any insight into these things would be appreciated. I probably over-paid for the watch, but as long as it keeps decent time after a service I don't really care. It's beautiful. :)

Here are the pictures from the eBay listing:

Name:  01_face.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  99.4 KB
    Name:  01_back.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  77.6 KB
    Name:  01_interior.jpg
Views: 572
Size:  143.7 KB

Now I wait patiently for it to get here from Ukraine!
    Ratfacedgit likes this.

Re: Experts, chime in: Raketa 24hr blue / red bezel

Here is my observation. First off, I am no expert, just putting it out there.

The winding bridge has no surface grain, no bevel.

The center bridge has a grain pattern, no bevel.

The balance bridge has a grain in a different direction and has a bevel on the outside.

The balance screw looks different compared to the others.

The two shock-proof jewel mounts are different.

It looks like parts from different movements.

Depending on year of production the original balance may not have had the extra regulator to adjust the beat error.

Again, let the experts chime in. Either way, I like it.

Dan
    "Dyslexics of the world, UNTIE"
    "I tried to think but nothing happens"

Those are excellent observations, Dan, thanks. You're right, it definitely looks like pieces of multiple movements. This could be an adventure... :)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

phd

[Bloodtkr] is right about the mismatched bridges - something funny has gone on here. The shock-jewel clips are fine, though (they're both the normal Raketa ones).

Not sure how it ended up like that - bridges almost never get damaged, so it's hard to say why this one has had so many transplants! But at least the main bridge is correct (stamped "2623H" - a lot of "24hr" watches are modified 12hr 2609HA movements). Everything else looks OK; the "888" on the back is fine - Raketa seem to have used caseback numbers at random, and anything from 3 to 7 digits is normal. Older movements have their own serial number (5 digits); on 2623H's the number is under the balance wheel, but yours doesn't have one, indicating a relatively newer movement.

Cheers,
    Paul

Thanks Paul, great input.

FWIW I've found pictures of another (also beat to hell) 2623H movement with similar parts-swapping:

Name:  048_032.JPG
Views: 593
Size:  242.8 KB

Maybe this is a relatively common frankenmovement - or maybe repaired by the same people.

Well.

Call me an addict, I just bought another 24hr Raketa from eBay. Before the first one got here.

The movement on this one looks super-clean. I'm excited. :)

Name:  face.JPG
Views: 697
Size:  369.6 KB
    Name:  movement.JPG
Views: 554
Size:  376.1 KB

phd

That one looks good to me.
    Paul

That last one is nice. Will have me one some day.
    Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by phd View Post
    [Bloodtkr] is right about the mismatched bridges - something funny has gone on here. The shock-jewel clips are fine, though (they're both the normal Raketa ones).

Not sure how it ended up like that - bridges almost never get damaged, so it's hard to say why this one has had so many transplants! But at least the main bridge is correct (stamped "2623H" - a lot of "24hr" watches are modified 12hr 2609HA movements). Everything else looks OK; the "888" on the back is fine - Raketa seem to have used caseback numbers at random, and anything from 3 to 7 digits is normal. Older movements have their own serial number (5 digits); on 2623H's the number is under the balance wheel, but yours doesn't have one, indicating a relatively newer movement.

Cheers,
    Paul
    Do they even bother to brush that "bridge"? It has very little surface area and I think every movement I've seen since this thread started has a smooth winding bridge. I don't know. Here's a Raketa big 12 2609.na:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned

replacement of the bridge of balance by the bridge meets a facet very often, at breakage of a pin of an axis of balance it is simpler to replace balance assembled with the bridge, At repair the master didn't begin to be troubled with search of the correct bridge, most likely your hours of the late Soviet period.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information