First In Space...Rodina or Sturmanskie?

Thread: First In Space...Rodina or Sturmanskie?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

First In Space...Rodina or Sturmanskie?

Hi, Just joined yesterday! Can anyone tell me which watch Yuri Gagarin wore on his wrist in Vostok1. In Yuri Levenberg's book it says it was the Rodina and also on a couple of websites, but everyone else seems to think it's the Sturmanskie. Can anyone tell me?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Levenberg goes on in more detail about the Sturmanskie in

Levenberg 8, I believe, a smaller cataloge he published.

Saying the Rodina was the watch Gagarin wore in space was a mistake made essentially by Sotheby's and merely reported by Levenberg in L1, and corrected in later works.

No comfort to the person who won the watch originally at Sotheby's though.
    Стрела

Russian Watch Forum, Rolex & Tudor Watch Forum, & Pilots’ and Military Watch Forum Moderator

Re: First In Space...Rodina or Sturmanskie?

Quote Originally Posted by revolver View Post
    Hi, Just joined yesterday! Can anyone tell me which watch Yuri Gagarin wore on his wrist in Vostok1. In Yuri Levenberg's book it says it was the Rodina and also on a couple of websites, but everyone else seems to think it's the Sturmanskie. Can anyone tell me?
    hey that is the black shturmanskie i mentioned in an earlier thread but did not know where i saw it where did you get it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by watchwombat View Post
    hey that is the black shturmanskie i mentioned in an earlier thread but did not know where i saw it where did you get it.
    Looks like a late-50's Sportivnie two-piece case with a bad redial.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by revolver View Post
    Regarding that website; disregard everything that Chuck Maddox says about Soviet watch usage in space. For NASA/Omega he's the best on-line source available, but his research on matters Russian is evidently negligible.

Re: Levenberg goes on in more detail about the Sturmanskie in

Quote Originally Posted by Strela View Post
    Levenberg 8, I believe, a smaller cataloge he published.

Saying the Rodina was the watch Gagarin wore in space was a mistake made essentially by Sotheby's and merely reported by Levenberg in L1, and corrected in later works.

No comfort to the person who won the watch originally at Sotheby's though.
    Thanks for the info! :thanks I'm goin to have to search for a good white Sturmanskie now! So much info on this board! thanx.

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    Regarding that website; disregard everything that Chuck Maddox says about Soviet watch usage in space. For NASA/Omega he's the best on-line source available, but his research on matters Russian is evidently negligible.
    Thanx for the info! To be honest I only bought the Rodina cos I thought it was the watch Gagarin wore, but now I'm glad I did, it is really nice to wear and I think very stylish!

He does not seem even the slightest bit interested in russian watch information. I know someone very knowledgable on russian watches from the Ukraine who sent him some stuff with evidence and other bits and pieces in the hope that he would provide some good information about soviet space watches. the reply he recieved was quite rude and he was told that his information was wrong despite clear evidence to the contrary?? he likes his omegas and wants to think that the soviets mainly wore omegas in space too, because soviet watches were not good enough (this was basically the answer he got to his email). I liked his site untill i was asked to explain the email because it was so rude that guy form the Ukraine could not understand it. I have not been back since.

Hello,

Was looking for something else, and I happened upon this thread...

Regarding that website; disregard everything that Chuck Maddox says about Soviet watch usage in space.
    Indeed, I've largely only gone by what I've read in a scant few publications. In the spirit of open disclosure, Soviet watch's aren't the primary or even secondary focus of my collection.

I do own a Seconda 17 Jewel Chronograph which I purchased about a year ago and would like to learn more about that and other models which the Soviet, and now Russian, space program has used. I realize that the Soviet Union folded before Fortis became involved in the space program in Russia, but I also own 4 Fortis Cosmonaut Chronographs at least three of the models have been utilized in Russian space missions as best as I've been able to determine (I'm not certain that the Lemania c.1873 based model ever flew)...

Please feel free to enlighten me, preferably directly via email as I am not over here on Watch-U-Seek much (I am stretched pretty thin)... I have absolutely no problem updating my website with new information if it's presented to me clearly, especially if it has sources that can be verifiable. I prefer to cite sources whenever possible, if not I'll present the information in the manner "I've been told by certain people that xxxxxx.", etc.

I think that is reasonable.

For NASA/Omega he's the best on-line source available,
    Frankly, I wouldn't even claim that. There are people out there with far closer contact with NASA than I have, and other people (well sometimes the same people) who have done more extensive searching of NASA's website (and other sources) that I have.

but his research on matters Russian is evidently negligible.
    Depending upon which topic you gent's are talking about, and I'm assuming it's the Ed White article I wrote some six years ago, the main topic of the article was Mr. White's Speedmaster, not the Soviet space program and it was written over six years ago.

I have no problems whatsoever including an addendum and or making a correction and citing the person as informing me of the facts at hand as I have numerous times in other articles. I consider myself a student on the topics I have written about, the difference between myself and many other collectors is I share my notes in a public fashion, and they are replete with corrections, clarifications and addendum's as necessary.

My email address is public, well-known and emails sent to it, if they aren't rejected by spam filters are responded to courteously as quickly as I can do so.

In case you're not aware of my email address it's [email protected] ...

Cheers and Good Hunting!

-- Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoland Chuck Maddox View Post
    Hello,

Was looking for something else, and I happened upon this thread...
    -- Chuck
    Welcome to the forum Chuck!

Glad to see you here, and I hope you participate in a lot of informative discussions.

I have been to your site many times and enjoy the info about Speedmasters. I don't own one, but hopefully I will add a vintage
    Speedmaster Pro to my collection one day.

I think we can all mutually benefit from the exchange of information and views, just so long as it isn't my view - as I don't know much at all.

Hopefully those that do will join in!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information