Franken of the week... - Page 19
Like Tree769Likes

Thread: Franken of the week...

Page 19 of 155 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 69 119 ... LastLast

Re: Franken of the week...

This is a lovely antique Russian Sputnik chronometer wristwatch in working condition.As one this watch is in very good condition but unfortunately the chronometer hand is missing. Produced 1960-1965 and has 17 jewels, the case is gold plated.

Too bad about the missing chronometer hand.
    Attached Images Attached Images

A description of some restoration procedures appeared on a local forum. The author restored a watch of his own, but similar techniques might be used by frankenmasters.
    - the brownish dial was cleaned using dentist tools till all the paint was removed.
    - a white paint was applied to the clean surface. Given the advance of dental medicine and dental cosmetics, I presume that any variation of the white color could be achieved (so don't rely on the uniform patina).
    - the hands were polished again with dentist machine.
    - new inscriptions were applied

I don't provide a link to the posting, because the author was restoring his own watch and should not be considered a frankenmaster. However, I often hear rumors about dentist equipment used for restoring / counterfeiting watches and this is the first time I see an actual demonstration. The final result:

I was keeping a look out for a 300M Vostok and I came across this listing.

It has the 30 ATM case back, however as confirmed by the seller, it has 18mm lugs. From the past forum posts, they all comes with 22m lugs, so just be wary unless you are looking for a 30atm caseback.

But it's a very nice sample of the tonneau amphibian with paddle hands.
    Parting with 30+ of my prized Soviet pieces over at sales corner.

A fan of vintage and a proud member of the Seiko Club Singapore Forum

Watch Blog - http://jiehong.org/blog

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

nht

Quote Originally Posted by roo7 View Post
    It has the 30 ATM case back, however as confirmed by the seller, it has 18mm lugs. From the past forum posts, they all comes with 22m lugs, so just be wary unless you are looking for a 30atm caseback.

Pay attention to dial and movement too...

OKEAH Final Edition 1976-2011 Proud owner of the original watch s/n: 072/300

Quote Originally Posted by nht View Post
    Pay attention to dial and movement too...
    Oh yah, I just noticed it.
    Parting with 30+ of my prized Soviet pieces over at sales corner.

A fan of vintage and a proud member of the Seiko Club Singapore Forum

Watch Blog - http://jiehong.org/blog

Franken Komandirskie on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Russian-...item45f3e61fdf

I wish I could manage to save the image. The dial has raised gold letters, with graphics similar to some of the Hong Kong Slavas: a poorly drawn green tank with white and red diagonal stripes, perhaps supposed to be a flag of some sort, behind it. It's advertised as USSR, but the back is the imperial eagle.

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by komandirskie View Post
    Franken Komandirskie on ebay:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Russian-...item45f3e61fdf

I wish I could manage to save the image. The dial has raised gold letters, with graphics similar to some of the Hong Kong Slavas: a poorly drawn green tank with white and red diagonal stripes, perhaps supposed to be a flag of some sort, behind it. It's advertised as USSR, but the back is the imperial eagle.
    The hour and minute hands are the correct Vostok items. The case is 100% Vostok. The bezel is correct. The crown concerns me. And of course the dial never left a watch factory in that condition. The star, logo and name look hand-painted to me.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    The hour and minute hands are the correct Vostok items. The case is 100% Vostok. The bezel is correct. The crown concerns me. And of course the dial never left a watch factory in that condition. The star, logo and name look hand-painted to me.
    Indeed, the hands looks suspect too. Maybe i'm wrong, but they are a bit too big, and the lumed section on recent Komandirskie is much smaller.

Numbers and inscriptions have something strange too, albeit very similar to the original. The crown is the most suspect part, possibly a sign of another movement inside.

Moreover, that seller mostly sells new watches, the "good used conditions" and the lack of a box are suspect too. Even in the worser periods, Vostok watches were always supplied with a box (cardboard or plastic).

Anyway, here is another (cosmetically perfect) Frankenwatch - Poljot Admiral (or Kapitan?) with China inside

Last edited by michele; July 14th, 2010 at 12:05.

On WUS since 2002 - Russian Watch Forum moderator from 2005 to 2012

Isle of Antigoni, near Constantinople & Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by roo7 View Post
    I was keeping a look out for a 300M Vostok and I came across this listing.

But it's a very nice sample of the tonneau amphibian with paddle hands.
    Besides the lug span, Latin inscriptions on the dial but kyrillic caseback inscriptions, on the caseback it says the movement 2209 is housed in the case but from the image of movement one can simply notice the movement is 2214 contrary to the caseback information. Yes " as old watchmakers said that it is a marriage watch" but not the worst of all.

You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist.
    - Indira Gandhi-
    "High thoughts must have high language."
    -Aristophanes-

It's a Raketa and a Pobeda movement.

Page 19 of 155 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 69 119 ... LastLast

Thread Information