Franken of the week... - Page 20
Like Tree769Likes

Thread: Franken of the week...

Page 20 of 155 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 70 120 ... LastLast

Re: Franken of the week...

This one might even be considered a SuperFranken
    Attached Images Attached Images

mpvick likes this.

Slava with (supposedly) Orient case - quite clever solution, Orient and Slava have both a button at 2 'o clock...

On WUS since 2002 - Russian Watch Forum moderator from 2005 to 2012

Mod. Russian, China Mech. Chascomm's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by michele View Post
    Slava with (supposedly) Orient case - quite clever solution, Orient and Slava have both a button at 2 'o clock...
    That's not an ORIENT, it's a QREINI !

I know because I've got one, but mine has the dial to match the back, and a Chinese day disk substituted. I think the way it went was that the Orient SK was a very popular watch in Asia in the late 1970s. So the Hong Kong cheap brands put out their own version, originally with a crown at 2 o'clock and double internal bezels (as there was no need for a date-change button) i.e. a triple-crown case. In the 1980s, when the HK watchmakers ran out of crap-grade Swiss movements, they switched to USSR-sourced movements (better movement, same price). I've bought a Hong Kong pocket watch in 1985 that was probably designed for a Swiss ES95 but has a Poljot 2609. This change of parts source encouraged somebody to push the Orient homages far closer to the original by using the Slava movement.

And let's not forget that one of Slava's last authentic new models was a kind of modern Orient SK homage with 2427 movement. That was probably the inspiration for the joker who put together this 'vintage' Slorient.
    Chascomm
    Moderator, Russian Watches & Chinese Mechanical Watches Forums
    (no, I am not going to list all my watches here)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    And let's not forget that one of Slava's last authentic new models was a kind of modern Orient SK homage with 2427 movement. That was probably the inspiration for the joker who put together this 'vintage' Slorient.
    Yes, indeed there was something strange on the caseback, i remember the fishy QREINI brand...and the "Slorient" brand made my day

Same thing happens with CJIABA watches, those missing segments in the letters are a timeless trick

About the real, Orient-style, Slava model that you are talking about, i'm thinking to buy it since lot of time, but i find the price (€ 102,00) way too high...more than an Orient. And it seems not available elsewhere.

Last edited by michele; July 23rd, 2010 at 10:21.

Chascomm,

"QREINI" could be said as an "imitation" created to confuse customers to think they're getting an Orient. Some other brands were created for less scrupulous intents.

A little while ago I found a watch made in HK some time in the 70s, I think, with the brand "ASEIKON"; the seller was honest and did not pretend it to be anything else. When received by the distributors or retailers they could just take the movement out and wipe off the first and last letter...

Quote Originally Posted by Seele View Post
    Chascomm,

"QREINI" could be said as an "imitation" created to confuse customers to think they're getting an Orient. Some other brands were created for less scrupulous intents.

A little while ago I found a watch made in HK some time in the 70s, I think, with the brand "ASEIKON"; the seller was honest and did not pretend it to be anything else. When received by the distributors or retailers they could just take the movement out and wipe off the first and last letter...
    ASEIKON
    BASEIKONE
    LESEIKORI

Chascomm

Here is an old post about Aseikon on WUS:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=270984

Am i wrong, or there is a Ruhla M-24 inside?

Here is another one with (supposedly) 23 jewels, currently for sale on an Italian site.

and here another one, conceptually very close to the "Slorient" watch seen before. Movement is an EB (Bettlach) if i'm not wrong:

Last edited by michele; July 23rd, 2010 at 12:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Chascomm View Post
    ASEIKON
    BASEIKONE
    LESEIKORI

Well, this are really "fraud watches", not franken, IMHO.
    I think a franken watch could arise from needing of making a watch somehow running. Maybe they were born due to lack of spare parts, or so on. Not a really fraud, unless the seller wants to foolish me
    Russian watches were designed to be maintained in the field by an agricultural worker using nothing but a hammer, a sickle, and some tractor grease... (phd)

My flickr watches: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vaurien/

Dress-style 2414 dial, date mechanism and cannon pinion, with an early 2409A base movement in a 2209 Ministry case with 22mm lugs.

There's somebody with a bottomless parts bin...
    Chascomm

Page 20 of 155 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 70 120 ... LastLast

Thread Information