Franken of the week... - Page 42
Like Tree769Likes

Thread: Franken of the week...

Page 42 of 155 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 92 142 ... LastLast

Re: Franken of the week...

WTF happened here?

(Don't tell me that this is a special for those "special kind of people" who wear their watch on the INSIDE of their wrist ...because that's about the only way this setup would make something resembling sense )

Also ...interesting bezel ...(never seen one like that before)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Starman66 likes this.

I have been lurking around here on the forum for a week or so now and decided it was time to make my first post.

I was given two Russian watches for my birthday a bit less than a year ago (well, I picked them out). I got two Pobeda watches shipped from Ukraine through Ebay. Big warning bells for you guys - none at all for me because I was clueless. These were actually my first mechanical watches. I opened up the case backs last week and read up on the different watch factories and realised the dials and mechanical engraving did not match.

I like the white/cream dial more but not so much the strap. I went to a watch store to get it and they didn't have much in stock. The black dial is 2nd Moscow factory and the cream is TTK1 (rare? according to Welcome to USSR Time!). Do the hands at least match the dials?
    Name:  photo 2s.jpg
Views: 937
Size:  682.1 KB

The black has a ZIM movement and the cream 1st Moscow factory. Are the movements themselves Frankenstein? The crown sticks out on the black so I guess the shaft(?) is too long.
    Name:  photo 1s.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  843.8 KB

The TTK1 dial seems to be in pretty good shape.
    Name:  photo 3s.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  470.7 KB

The day after I did this I realised it wasn't the smartest thing I've done. As I understand it, the dials with green paint most likely has radium on them.
    Name:  photo s.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  543.8 KB

I still like my watches despite them being green monsters with bolts in the neck.

We'll see if I'll post here again soon. I have a watch marked "Russia" 16 jewel on it's way from China. *crosses fingers*

Quote Originally Posted by art1118 View Post
    It is not a Franken if you accurately describe what you are selling, like I tried to do.
    Is that true? I just figured if it was assembled from a smattering of parts, it must be a franken whether described correctly or not. Perhaps that's just an incorrect assumption thanks to my generally literal way of looking at things.

But if so, what do you call a mis-matched watch with an accurate description?
    Last edited by zircular; February 22nd, 2012 at 01:28.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The Valley of Death, but I fear no evil for I am the meanest SOB in The Valley

Quote Originally Posted by zircular View Post
    Is that true? I just figured if it was assembled from a smattering of parts, it must be a franken whether described correctly or not. Perhaps that's just an incorrect assumption thanks to my generally literal way of looking at things.

But if so, what do you call a mis-matched watch with an accurate description?
    Call it "Art".....get it? "Art"...LOL! I know... Thank you 'Atilla the Pun'. Anyway, I thought it was funny.
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said "....I drank what?"

plainsimple,

While this thread is meant to be a "name and shame" place, your black dial Pobeda is edging towards being a Frankenwatch. As the dial states it's by 2MWF, the movement is by ZIM. It could have been an honest period repair as the original owner elected to replace its faulty movement with a working ZIM one, and yet it could also be a Frankenwatch with a working ZIM movement fitted to make it working, thus saleable. It would not be too difficult to replace it with a 2MWF movement if you can find an appropriate one, which be marked 2ChF (in Cyrillic) rather than one marked 2M.

The TTK-1 is a bit of a tricky one. I cannot see the date code on the 1MWF-built movement and would be grateful if you can tell me what it is, as I still have not been able to make it clear in my mind when the transition point was, when 1MWF-built movements gave way to those built by TTK-1, if such a transition point actually existed. Here is a thread discussing this issue.

Nevertheless, I think your TTK-1 should have gold-plated brass hands in the same shapes, as these dark-blued hands are meant for dials with black printing.

Last year I bought Pobeda TTK with 1 MChZ movement, I thought it is franaken and waited to met TTK movement but now I changed mind . Thanks

I'm sorry and this may be heresy, but I love the new black strela dial. If a seller was honest about it... "new and modified dial design with original case and movement" for example, and the price was lower as it should be compared to an original, I would consider buying one.

Quote Originally Posted by 10 ATM View Post
    WTF happened here?

(Don't tell me that this is a special for those "special kind of people" who wear their watch on the INSIDE of their wrist ...because that's about the only way this setup would make something resembling sense )

Also ...interesting bezel ...(never seen one like that before)
    Dial swapped from a "2 'o clock" case.

On WUS since 2002 - Russian Watch Forum moderator from 2005 to 2012

See item #330691505404.
    Surely redialled but what old watch is underneath?
    Last edited by Vaurien; February 28th, 2012 at 15:23.
    Russian watches were designed to be maintained in the field by an agricultural worker using nothing but a hammer, a sickle, and some tractor grease... (phd)

My flickr watches: http://www.flickr.com/photos/vaurien/

Quote Originally Posted by Vaurien View Post
    See item #330691505404.
    Surely redialled but what old watch is underneath?
    The movement is from Kapitanskie chrono

Page 42 of 155 FirstFirst ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 92 142 ... LastLast

Thread Information