--- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA --- - Page 24
Like Tree562Likes

Thread: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

just learning about Vostok's and Amphibia's. This thread is a wealth of knowledge. thanks
    VWatchie likes this.

I got my first Amphibia, 710 model. It's a great watch.

The second day I had it, I dropped it. The impact dislodged one of the lume dots, and now it's floating around the dial.

I've also noticed that the rotor makes more noise than it used to--kind of a rattling noise. But the watch still seems to work great, averaging +3 seconds per day when I leave it crown up overnight. Should I try to take the caseback off to see what's going on with the rotor? I have almost no experience with watches--this is my first automatic.

I'm also interested in brushing the case with scotch-brite. Any guides on how to do that?

Quote Originally Posted by pinchegato View Post
    I got my first Amphibia, 710 model. It's a great watch.

The second day I had it, I dropped it. The impact dislodged one of the lume dots, and now it's floating around the dial.

I've also noticed that the rotor makes more noise than it used to--kind of a rattling noise. But the watch still seems to work great, averaging +3 seconds per day when I leave it crown up overnight. Should I try to take the caseback off to see what's going on with the rotor? I have almost no experience with watches--this is my first automatic.

I'm also interested in brushing the case with scotch-brite. Any guides on how to do that?
    Annoying, but probably nothing to worry about. If you want to remove the floating dot you will (of course) need to remove the movement from the case, and then blow it away. This "Ratfaced git-video will show you the procedure (just skip the part about removing the hands). If you wish to put a new lume dot on the missing spot you might find this video somewhat helpful.

Not sure it is the rotor that rattles, but you could always try to make sure the rotor screw sits thight. Just make sure to cover the balance wheel (with its sensitive hairspring) by rotating the rotor plate over it before you try that. Slipping into the hairspring with a screwdriver is not a good thing. Also, while you're at it, have a good look around using a strong magnifier, and if you're lucky you might find the source of the rattling sound. I really haven't got any idea about what "the problem" could be, but I think it's a good idea to at least have a look so that there aren't any dislodged parts (very unlikely though) that could damage the hairspring.

You will of course need some basic watchmaker tools to perform the above. Do not try it with the tools that you'll find in the toolbox or the kitchen drawer. If you do, bad things will happen.

Good luck!
    Last edited by VWatchie; December 8th, 2017 at 09:34.
    Never use force. Get a bigger hammer.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I received a 2414 today from Meranom for a custom build I’m working on.

I noticed that the movement didn’t come with any screws to fix it to a movement holder so I borrowed ones from another 2416 I had.

Strange thing was that I couldn’t get the 2414 to fit into a metal movement holder I purchased from Meranom but it fit the plastic movement holders ok.

Is this an expected difference? I installed a 2409 into a Meranom metal movement holder without any issue but was surprised the 2414 didn’t fit.

Is it any issue of the movement holder or are the screws different between 2414 and 2416?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd like to polish/buff/refinish the case of this watch (see below) but I wonder if the golden color is just a thin coating (PVD) on top of stainless steel, or if it is solid brass, or something else? My plan is to use these refinishing pads. I worry that I might ruin the surface.

Name:  22.08.2016_wostok_6_-_1.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  92.8 KB
    ~ Ratfacedgit

24h

Quote Originally Posted by VWatchie View Post
    I'd like to polish/buff/refinish the case of this watch (see below) but I wonder if the golden color is just a thin coating (PVD) on top of stainless steel, or if it is solid brass, or something else? My plan is to use these refinishing pads. I worry that I might ruin the surface.
    Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding a lot of old Vostok watches are actually brass with a chrome plating.
    This one could be missing all of the plating.

Are you not the original owner?

Maybe someone else can chime in
    VWatchie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 24h View Post
    Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but from my understanding a lot of old Vostok watches are actually brass with a chrome plating.
    This one could be missing all of the plating.

Are you not the original owner?

Maybe someone else can chime in
    Thanks for your input! According to schnurrp the case is made of brass with a thin Titanium Nitrate coating. I've tried to polish it with Autosol and cotton swabs with substantial improvement. The surface becomes super clean and micro scratches are removed making it quite a bit shinier. However, this method is a bit too tedious for me so I've invested in a Dremel tool (approx. $28) and felt buffing pads for it. The plan is to apply Autosol, let it dry, and then buff it with the Dremel tool. I'll try to report back when I've tried this.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

24h

Thanks for your input! According to schnurrp the case is made of brass with a thin Titanium Nitrate coating. I've tried to polish it with Autosol and cotton swabs with substantial improvement. The surface becomes super clean and micro scratches are removed making it quite a bit shinier. However, this method is a bit too tedious for me so I've invested in a Dremel tool (approx. $28) and felt buffing pads for it. The plan is to apply Autosol, let it dry, and then buff it with the Dremel tool. I'll try to report back when I've tried this.
    Good luck!
    I've been thinking of purchasing some old Russian watches and cleaning them/polishing/fixing movements (keep in mind I'm a beginner).
    I'm not sure what to do about the watches that are plated with brass as the base metal...can't really clean them up without revealing ALL the brass

Quote Originally Posted by 24h View Post
    Good luck!
    I've been thinking of purchasing some old Russian watches and cleaning them/polishing/fixing movements (keep in mind I'm a beginner).
    I'm not sure what to do about the watches that are plated with brass as the base metal...can't really clean them up without revealing ALL the brass
    My method so far has been water, detergent, toothpaste, Autosol and a toothbrush, and it has worked really well to get them clean. It has even removed micro scratches which really helps them shine. Of course, removing dents is a completely different story and that's not really what I'm after. I'm basically looking for an efficient way the get the cases ultra clean while removing as little of the plating as possible. Anyway, I hope to try my "new method" soon and will let you know the result.
    24h likes this.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

I've now tried this method, and my conclusion is that it doesn't improve anything; not the end result and not the time it takes to clean the watch case. Under the stereo microscope, I also saw wear on the coating. Anyway, I'll have other uses for the rotary tool (guess I'll have use for it polishing SS cases). So, back to toothbrush, toothpaste, and detergent which gives an excellent, if not even an optimal result.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

Page 24 of 42 FirstFirst ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast

Thread Information