--- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA --- - Page 25
Like Tree651Likes

Thread: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Quote Originally Posted by VWatchie View Post
    I've now tried this method, and my conclusion is that it doesn't improve anything; not the end result and not the time it takes to clean the watch case. Under the stereo microscope, I also saw wear on the coating. Anyway, I'll have other uses for the rotary tool (guess I'll have use for it polishing SS cases). So, back to toothbrush, toothpaste, and detergent which gives an excellent, if not even an optimal result.
    Not to worry. I too bought a rotary tool for watch modding. While I have yet to use it for that purpose, I have found it useful in many other projects besides.
    VWatchie likes this.

Sluggish Date Roll Over

This topic has been covered pretty extensively on f10 before, but I thought the following might add something to someone. So here goes…

Sometime ago there was a post about the Vostok 2414 date ring moving very slowly when changing dates (sluggish date roll over). Several helpful replies about how to remedy this was given. Little did I know at that time how useful those posts were going to be to me.

To my distress, a couple of weeks or so ago my 3AKA3 MO CCCP Black Komandirskie Tankist for no obvious reason stopped ticking. When this happened I just didn’t have the time to look into it. I was quite disappointed as I had spent so much time and care to restore it and repair it. I really didn’t have a clue about what could be wrong until and I noticed that the date ring was moving in slow motion at the time for the date change as seen in this video.

Armed with the knowledge gained in this thread I assumed the problems were related to the calendar cam spring so I decided to look into it and document it in this thread.

Below is what I found under the dial; Yes, a broken calendar cam spring!

Name:  BrokenCalendarCamSpring01.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  121.2 KB

When I saw the spring I realized I must have broken it when trying to quick set the date by going back and forth between 8 and 12 clock (as Matt_Bored_O warned us about).

After having retrieved and cleaned a spare calendar cam spring from my lot of scrap 2414s I simply replaced the broken spring and the problems were gone. I.e., the watch is now ticking just fine and the date changes with a snap as it should.

The following pictures demonstrate the reassembly (disassembly was made in the reverse order):

Name:  BrokenCalendarCamSpring02.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  94.1 KB

Name:  BrokenCalendarCamSpring03.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  83.5 KB

Name:  BrokenCalendarCamSpring04.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  87.4 KB

Name:  BrokenCalendarCamSpring05.jpg
Views: 544
Size:  78.2 KB

Name:  BrokenCalendarCamSpring06.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  87.8 KB

Name:  BrokenCalendarCamSpring07.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  107.1 KB

Name:  BrokenCalendarCamSpring08.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  107.6 KB

Name:  BrokenCalendarCamSpring09.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  80.1 KB

Name:  BrokenCalendarCamSpring10.jpg
Views: 534
Size:  92.3 KB

Name:  BrokenCalendarCamSpring11.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  100.1 KB

The following two excellent videos by the "Ratface Git" demonstrate how to disassemble and reassemble the date ring, calendar cover plate, and the date ring jumper spring, but not the parts that I show above.

And here is the final result!

saturnine, 24h, gorelowo11 and 3 others like this.
    Never use force. Get a bigger hammer.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

Good job!
    VWatchie likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

EDIT: For anyone interested I also posted the below in a separated thread and got a reply there!

Comrades, I need your input/advice/help!

I am in the process of reassembling a 2415 movement. My concern is that the pivot of the first reduction wheel (bottom side) won't reach all the way through the jewel pivot hole of the auto-wind bridge. It only reaches about 1/3 or 1/4 or so of the jewel pivot hole height. Please see the image:

Name:  01.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  148.5 KB

It seems the pivot sits securely in the jewel, but it just doesn't look right, and I fear oiling of the jewel hole won't work as intended. I've taken a look at another 2415 movement that I have and the pivot reaches through the entire jewel pivot hole but not extending above the hole, as is typical and can be seen in the jewel to the left.

Now, should or can I ignore this, or should I take my other 2415 apart and replace the parts one by one in an effort to see what's causing the problem? As far as I can tell when looking at both pivots of the first reduction wheel through my stereomicroscope (40X) there is no damage to it. Also, the auto-wind bridge seems to be sitting perfectly flush with the rest of the movement.
    Last edited by VWatchie; December 29th, 2017 at 23:06. Reason: clarifying
    ~ Ratfacedgit

Here's my first 2415Б dismantled, cleaned, and left to dry... Not sure what "value" this post adds to the forum. Guess I just had a need to share it.

Name:  Vostok2415AllParts.jpg
Views: 489
Size:  543.7 KB
    24h, Disguise, gorelowo11 and 2 others like this.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

What is the differences between amphibia case numbers ? Are they mean something or they are just different designs

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

Quote Originally Posted by castilla View Post
    What is the differences between amphibia case numbers ? Are they mean something or they are just different designs

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi
    Generally with the modern case numbers the first two digits are the case style and the third digit is the case finish. With Amphibias they are all generally stainless steel so the third digit is normally a "0" which denotes Stainless Steel. The Komandirskie series of watches normally have a case made of base metal brass and the third digit is normally either a "1" which signifies chrome plating or a "9" which denotes a Titanium Nitride coating (Goldish). There are some variations to this rule but they are on the rarer side. Hope this help.
    Last edited by mariomart; December 30th, 2017 at 06:05.
    24h, VWatchie and castilla like this.
    My YouTube Channel

~ Ratfacedgit

Watchmaking is full of terms and expressions. One of those terms is "keyless work". I can’t remember how many times I’ve pondered this term and its meaning. Until today, when out of a clear blue sky I suddenly realized it means the mechanics of a watch movement that enables us to wind it without a key. I’m sure this technology was revolutionary when it was invented. No more misplaced keys that would make our precious timekeeper stop.

Perhaps the above is perfectly obvious to the English speaking members, perhaps even all members, with me being the (slow) exception!
    davidrrd likes this.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

The classic amphibian differs only in the buildings. Any variation. Mostly stainless steel. The mechanism is always self-winding mechanism 2416B 1 calendar. There are options without a calendar. 2415.

Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast

Thread Information