--- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA --- - Page 33
Like Tree562Likes

Thread: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast
    24h

Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Quote Originally Posted by VWatchie View Post
    Indeed, no time is gained whatsoever, and this "jump" only affects the hour hand. It's very visible in the below 20 seconds long video that I recorded after having replaced the calendar cam spring on a Vostok 2414.

My idea of this is that when the energy in the calendar cam spring is released, some of the energy (due to "less than perfect tolerances", as Matt_Bored_O explains) travels to the hour wheel through the calendar wheel and the intermediate calendar wheel and this is what causes the "jump". BTW, the parts nomenclature that I use comes from this post.
    That shows exactly what I was describing in my previous post.
    What I still don't completely understand is how this jump forward is made up for.
    Does the hour hand temporarily slow down while all the gears mesh together properly?

My YouTube Channel for watch modding and I​nstagram for (mostly) Russian watches

24h

I was curious and decided to timelapse the date change.
    To me, it looks like the hour hand doesn't start moving until about five minutes after the date change...

https://youtu.be/4TmIhvcaqVU
    VWatchie and Matt_Bored_O like this.

My YouTube Channel for watch modding and I​nstagram for (mostly) Russian watches

Hour Hand Jumps Forward 5 Minutes At the Date Change and Does Not Move Again For 5 Minutes

This is an inherent aspect of the Vostok mechanism or movement.

This may apply to all 24xx mechanisms.

When the Hour hand jumps 5 min., it is actually an amount of slack in the gear train which is equal to an amount of approximately 5 min.

In other words, all the available slack is taken as the instant date change mechanism pushes out or removes this slack and this produces a 5 min. instant jump forward of the Hour Wheel. This jump ahead basically makes the Hour Wheel 5 min. ahead of the rest of the gear train, such as the Minute Wheel.

The Hour hand, that is the Hour Wheel, now stalls and will not begin moving fully again until the other parts of the gear train such as the Minute Wheel, consumes this slack or 'catches up' to the Hour Wheel which was shifted beyond the 'reach' of the gear train. The teeth of the Hour Wheel remain in contact with the gear train, but there is little to no pressure on the Hour Wheel until the gear train has taken the 5 min. of slack from the system and becomes fully engaged with the Hour Wheel, applying full pressure to it.

At this point, the entire gear train will provide full pressure on the Hour Wheel and the Hour hand will begin moving again.

So, the entire movement, or mechanism, does not essentially have a system to 'make up' the 'gained' 5 min.
    It is basically the slack in the gear train that allows the Hour Hand to be temporarily moved ahead 5 min. until this slack is overcome and the rest of the gear train exerts normal pressure or energy on the Hour hand.

If the Hour Hand or Minute Hand is pushed forward or backward gently with a tool, you will see the slack or less than perfect tolerances in the gear train.

If there was absolute zero slack or perfect machining tolerance in the gear train, the movement would stop since each pivot would be stuck in its jewel and each gear, or wheel, would be locked together as there would not be enough extra space for the teeth to move or there would be too much friction.

So, a certain amount of slack is required for the parts of a watch movement to move properly with as little friction as possible.

Too much slack, or tolerances that are poor, and the parts would jump or bounce or engage with too little pressure or energy.
    The watch would then keep erratic time or it would stop completely due to misalignment of the gears.
    Last edited by Matt_Bored_O; January 18th, 2019 at 04:40.
    VWatchie and Chascomm like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Last edited by Matt_Bored_O; January 18th, 2019 at 01:57.

24h

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Bored_O View Post
    Hour Hand Jumps Forward 5 Minutes At the Date Change and Does Not Move Again For 5 Minutes

This is an inherent aspect of the Vostok mechanism or movement.

This may apply to all 24xx mechanisms.

When the Hour hand jumps 5 min., it is actually an amount of slack in the gear train which is equal to an amount of approximately 5 min.

In other words, all the available slack is taken as the instant date change mechanism pushes out or removes this slack and this produces a 5 min. instant jump forward of the Hour Wheel. This jump ahead basically makes the Hour Wheel 5 min. ahead of the rest of the gear train, such as the Minute Wheel.

The Hour hand, that is the Hour Wheel, now stalls and will not begin moving fully again until the other parts of the gear train such as the Minute Wheel, consumes this slack or 'catches up' to the Hour Wheel which was shifted beyond the 'reach' of the gear train. The teeth of the Hour Wheel remain in contact with the gear train, but there is little to no pressure on the Hour Wheel until the gear train has taken the 5 min. of slack from the system and becomes fully engaged with the Hour Wheel, applying full pressure to it.

At this point, the entire gear train will provide full pressure on the Hour Wheel and the Hour hand will begin moving again.

So, the entire movement, or mechanism, does not essentially have a system to 'make up' the 'gained' 5 min.
    It is basically the slack in the gear train that allows the Hour Hand to be temporarily moved ahead 5 min. until this slack is overcome and the rest of the gear train exerts normal pressure or energy on the Hour hand.

If the Hour Hand or Minute Hand is pushed forward or backward gently with a tool, you will see the slack or less than perfect tolerances in the gear train.

If there was absolute zero slack or perfect machining tolerance in the gear train, the movement would stop since each pivot would be stuck in its jewel and each gear, or wheel, would be locked together as there would not be enough extra space for the teeth to move or there would be too much friction.

So, a certain amount of slack is required for the parts of a watch movement to move properly with as little friction as possible.

Too much slack, or tolerances that are poor, and the parts would jump or bounce or engage with too little pressure or energy.
    The watch would then keep erratic time or it would stop completely due to misalignment of the gears.
    Thanks, that perfectly explains this little quirk of the 24XX movements!
    Matt_Bored_O and VWatchie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 24h View Post
    I was curious and decided to timelapse the date change.
    To me, it looks like the hour hand doesn't start moving until about five minutes after the date change...

https://youtu.be/4TmIhvcaqVU
    Brilliantly illustrates the effects of this "little quirk", as you put it. Thanks!
    24h likes this.
    Never use force. Get a bigger hammer.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

It makes more sense that the drivetrain doesn't jump ahead, but instead is held up by the spring loading (resistance) of the calendar complication.

When the date wheel click to the next date, the back pressure in the drivetrain is released and the hour hand moves forward to where it should be if it had not been held up by building enough pressure to push the calendar stud past the spring that holds the date in place.

Hi guys, have you ever done a power reserve check on your Vostok? I've always wondered how true the claim of 31hrs was as it seemed always to run a bit too long after I'd leave it for another watch in the rotation. So I wound it up, set the time to 0:00 and saw how far it would run and...40hrs exactly! 0.0

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

24h

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Bored_O View Post
    Did you perform any work on the movement apart from installing the hands?

1. Dial Washer: if you removed the dial, the dial washer may have been lost. This could cause the Hour Wheel to occasionally lift up and skip a few teeth, which would make it out of sync with the Minute Wheel.

2. Damaged Hour Wheel or Hour Wheel Forced Out of Sync:
    - When you installed the hands did you exert pressure on the side of the Hour Hand to align it after it was fully pressed onto the Hour Wheel pipe?
    If so, this could have damaged the Hour Wheel teeth or caused it to skip a few teeth, causing it to be out of sync. with the Minute Wheel.
    Just opened the watch up.

1. Dial washer is still there and intact.
    2. Hour wheel seems to be OK. No broken or misshapen teeth, however, I noticed a scratch on a couple of them. None of this is visible without a microscope though.

Code:
    https://youtu.be/KZxPVOfxFLo

Movement / Mechanism Holder

A movement or mechanism holder is a tool every Vostok owner needs to hold the mechanism to repair it or install dials and hands.

Currently, there are no holders produced specifically for the Vostok 24xx and 22xx models.

Universal Vise Style Holders

Commonly available and are easy to use.

Disadvantage
    : there is no centre pin to support the Seconds Hand Pinion of the Vostok mechanisms.
    This is necessary especially for the 2409 and 2414 which require a support for the pinion when installing the Seconds Hand.

Name:  watch_movement_holder_59.284__84110.1514927011.jpg
Views: 93
Size:  57.4 KB

Universal Holder
    photo: Esslinger.com

If you choose a vise style holder, buy a Large Size.
    This will hold 22xx and 24xx Vostok and larger mechanisms you may repair in the future.

--------------------------------

Cylinder Style Holder: Specific Size

A holder made for specific mechanisms is often easier to use versus a vise style holder. They are often designed to allow the mechanism to be turned over to work on the opposite side, same as a vise style holder, however a custom cylinder style is usually easier to use for amateur watch repairers. There are no projecting bolts or knobs - this may prevent accidents.

Advantage: There is usually a support post or pin for mechanisms which require this.

Name:  590142.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  60.6 KB

Centre Pin with Slot for stem

photo: Cas-KerCo.

Dave Murphy of Murphy Manufacturing, a highly respected producer of bezels for Vostok and Seiko , has begun producing a holder for Seiko mechanisms.

He is now contemplating producing a Vostok holder.

I suspect that if enough of us contact him and ask him to produce a holder he may do so.

I believe there would be much demand for this very helpful tool.

If he decides to produce this, ask him to put your name on a waiting list and you will be notified when they are produced.
    This is the system he employs to notify those who want to purchase his bezels, when the bezels are not in stock.

Hopefully, if he produces these, he will include a suport post or pin.

Dave Murphy bezels for Vostok and Seiko are highly recommended in this forum.
    I would assume his holders would be of equal quality.

If you contact him: Specify if you need a holder for 24xx and / or 22xx mechanisms

https://murphymanufacturing.com/factory_store.html

Murphy Manufacturing Co., Inc.

Fairport, NY
    USA
    14450-0119

Murphy Manufacturing

Name:  TL8010_400300.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  93.3 KB

Murphy Manufacturing Seiko Holder #TL8010
    Last edited by Matt_Bored_O; January 20th, 2019 at 18:42.
    24h and NOTSHARP like this.

Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast

Thread Information