--- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA --- - Page 35
Like Tree651Likes

Thread: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast

Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

re: holder by Matt Brace:

Send Matt a PM

It is easier for him.

He will make an announcement of his decision in the near future.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/privat...newpm&u=242081

I sent him a message as described in your other message about this. I just wanted to renew my support! Ha!

[QUOTE=24h;47967333]
    Quote Originally Posted by 24h View Post
    Just opened the watch up.

1. Dial washer is still there and intact.
    2. Hour wheel seems to be OK. No broken or misshapen teeth, however, I noticed a scratch on a couple of them. None of this is visible without a microscope though.

Suggestion action?
    Maybe put everything back together and hope that the gears mesh properly this time around, or would you recommend I find a new hour wheel.
    I'm not sure this on is damaged, other than a couple of small scratches.

Edit: Good info on the second hands pinion support. At one point I wanted to design a movement holder for Vostok movements, but I need to learn how to properly use the 3D modeling software.
    I have a 3D printer that I might be able to try a couple designs on.
    So, it has been established that the watch is keeping time, that the minute hand is working flawlessly, and that there's nothing funny about the hour wheel, right? I would then proceed to check the teeth and the leaves of the minute wheel. The cannon pinion drives the minute wheel and the minute wheel drives the hour wheel, so if there's a damaged or a missing tooth or leaf on the minute wheel it would explain why the hour hand doesn't keep up. If the minute wheel is indeed the source of the problem you should see the same problem when setting the time (if you spin it long enough). Also, just to make sure, take a good look at the leaves of the cannon pinion too. Or, it could perhaps be that the setting lever spring (the cover over the keyless works) isn't holding the minute wheel properly in place, or that the minute wheel is skewed making it slip a leaf on the cannon pinion now and then. Lots of part names flying around here so I'll illustrate with a couple of pictures. Keeps us posted about your observations and progress!

Name:  V1.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  357.0 KB
    Name:  v2.JPG
Views: 139
Size:  331.1 KB
    mariomart, 24h and Matt_Bored_O like this.
    Never use force. Get a bigger hammer.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

24h

[QUOTE=VWatchie;48051503]
    Quote Originally Posted by 24h View Post

So, it has been established that the watch is keeping time, that the minute hand is working flawlessly, and that there's nothing funny about the hour wheel, right? I would then proceed to check the teeth and the leaves of the minute wheel. The cannon pinion drives the minute wheel and the minute wheel drives the hour wheel, so if there's a damaged or a missing tooth or leaf on the minute wheel it would explain why the hour hand doesn't keep up. If the minute wheel is indeed the source of the problem you should see the same problem when setting the time (if you spin it long enough). Also, just to make sure, take a good look at the leaves of the cannon pinion too. Or, it could perhaps be that the setting lever spring (the cover over the keyless works) isn't holding the minute wheel properly in place, or that the minute wheel is skewed making it slip a leaf on the cannon pinion now and then. Lots of part names flying around here so I'll illustrate with a couple of pictures. Keeps us posted about your observations and progress!
    The last few posts of this thread appear to have solved the issue
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/hou...4874019-2.html

My YouTube Channel for watch modding and I​nstagram for (mostly) Russian watches

Does anyone know the difference between a 2409 and 2409.1 movement from Meranom.. as I am looking to make a handwind no-date Amphibia mod. the description is identical on both ...

thank you!

24h

Quote Originally Posted by Seikogi View Post
    Does anyone know the difference between a 2409 and 2409.1 movement from Meranom.. as I am looking to make a handwind no-date Amphibia mod. the description is identical on both ...

thank you!
    2409.1 has the calendar bridge included, although it looks like that's just about it. No date wheel or the mechanism to drive it.
    There could be some beveling on the backside of the 2409, but I'm not 100% sure because there is only one photo.
    Seikogi likes this.

My YouTube Channel for watch modding and I​nstagram for (mostly) Russian watches

I assume the 2409.01 is a new model to supercede the 2409.

I also assume this is a cost cutting design.

The 2409 is not a much used mechanism of Vostok and it may not be cost effective to produce the shorter Hour Wheel pipe, shorter Cannon Pinion and shorter Seconds Hand Pinion required by the 2409 versus those of the 2414.

By installing a date bridge plate on the 2409, the 2414 Hour Wheel, Cannon and Seconds Hand Pinion can be installed.
    The bridge or plate adds more thickness so taller Hour Wheel, Cannon Pinion and Seconds Hand Pinion are required to allow the hands to sit at the proper height above the dial.

Presumably, this plate, which appears to lack some of the machining as that found on a 2414, is cheaper to produce than the shorter Hour Wheel, Cannon Pinion and Seconds Hand Pinion.

Universal parts keep costs down.
    Last edited by Matt_Bored_O; February 12th, 2019 at 15:45.
    24h and Seikogi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Bored_O View Post
    I assume the 2409.1 is a new model to supercede the 2409.

I also assume this is a cost cutting design.

The 2409 is not a much used mechanism of Vostok and it may not be cost effective to produce the shorter Hour Wheel pipe and shorter Cannon Pinion required by the 2409 versus those of the 2414.

By installing a date bridge plate on the 2409, the 2414 Hour Wheel and Cannon Pinion can be installed.
    The bridge or plate adds more thickness so taller Hour Wheel and Cannon Pionion are required to allow the hands to sit at the proper height above the dial.

Presumably, this plate, which appears to lack some of the machining as that found on a 2414, is cheaper to produce than the shorter Hour Wheel and Cannon Pinion.

Universal parts keep costs down.

* I have sent an email to Meranom to explain the differences.
    I will post the answer.
    thank you for the detailed answer, much appreciated!

I have a dial from Igor incoming (made of alumium if I understood correctly), so the higher Pinions could be needed.

Last edited by Matt_Bored_O; February 11th, 2019 at 23:04.

Quote Originally Posted by Seikogi View Post
    ...I have a dial from Igor incoming (made of alumium if I understood correctly), so the higher Pinions could be needed.

Yes, when a thick dial is installed or a dial with thick, custom lume it is always better to install a 2414 or 2416 mechanism or the new 2409.01

Then the Date mechanism bridge plate can be removed for more height for the hands.

The taller Hour Wheel pipe, Cannon Pinion and Seconds Hand Pinion will provide greater clearance for the hands.
    Last edited by Matt_Bored_O; February 12th, 2019 at 15:42.
    Seikogi likes this.

Page 35 of 48 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast

Thread Information