--- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA --- - Page 37
Like Tree563Likes

Thread: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast

Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

I only have Amphibias so measurements would be good to know... I do know that I have a 90's/00's scuba dude that came with a very similar (komanderskie height) crystal, but was not an oem vostok... I wonder if your ring and crystal are orginal? Either way, I hope measurements help figure it out!

Colour Hands

- add favinov to the list of sellers of coloured hands of post #318

favinov: ebay seller: Russia

- Sergei has an excellent reputation for quality and service
    - he will help you create the mod of your choice by installing any parts you send him or purchase from him. Also, you can order parts from Meranom and request the parts are sent to favinov.

- he currently offers hands painted: white, red, black

- you must send him a message and ask for the painting service for the hands of your choice

- perhaps if demand increases, he may offer more choices

Superluminova
    :

- favinov also sells hands and dials with Standard grade Superluminova
    -- he uses two different names for this paste but they are the same: Superluminova and Superlumia
    -- it is brighter and has a longer duration than standard Vostok lume
    -- he offers different colours of Superluminova: blue and green: this refers to the illuminated colour (the colour of the glow).

ebay store: hands

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...hands&_sacat=0

a WUS review of favinov:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/fa...s-3422066.html

Last edited by Matt_Bored_O; February 21st, 2019 at 20:38.
    Vost likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzilla View Post
    Hey guy's, I have another question regarding the metal rings that go inside the crystals on the older style Komanderskie cases namely the 53 style cases.
    I had purchased new crystals but the old original ring does not fit it is too big? tried to persuade it in with a rubber mallet! ...... crystal-0 ring-1
    what gives. thanks, James.
    Hey Matt any idea on this crystal problem? thank you.

P.S. I think favinov has the best aftermarket products that I have seen so far and you are right he is a very nice person.
    He sent me a video on how to put the Komenderskie crown and stem back in.
    Last edited by jimzilla; February 23rd, 2019 at 15:42.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Crystal & Tension Ring: Vintage Classic Komandirskie

If your Classic style Komandirskie is older / vintage, it may have a crystal which utilises a metal tension ring similar to the Amphibia. However, several years ago Vostok altered the design of the Classic Komandirskies.

They now use a different crystal that does not require a tension ring.

New crystals for new Classic Komandirskie are not sold with a tension ring.

The crystal mounting face of the case has been re-designed. A tension ring is now not necessary. Meranom has verified this. It is probably a cost saving measure. The water resistance rating has not changed, according to Vostok documents.

If you need a new crystal for your vintage Classic Komandirskie, you have several options.

Option 1

Install a New Design Crystal Without the Old Ring

If your Komandirskie is the older design which required the ring, and you install a new design crystal which requires no ring, the water resistance may or may not be affected adversely; there is no guarantee. Also, there may be a slight gap between the dial and case which the old tension ring had bridged.

**You may be able to fit the old ring into a new crystal

if you use a press or some other means of force. Some folks have done this successfully.

- a crystal press applies pressure evenly and is the preferred tool. Don't apply too much force or the crystal may crack
    -- support the outer edge of the crystal when attempting to install a ring into a Komandirskie crystal because pressure on the centre of the crystal will crack it
    -- a piece of plastic pipe or the centre of a roll of tape can be used to support the crystal

- file down the outer circumference of the ring just enough to make its installation easier
    -- be careful to do this evenly

- if all fails, don't worry: install the crystal without the old ring
    Other folks have done this successfully

-- without a ring, some folks have used silicon caulk or crystal cement to form a seal between the case and the crystal. However, this may only be necessary if the watch will be submerged or worn in very wet conditions. It is best to first test the water resistance of the crystal without any sealant, then decide if you need extra sealing.

- it may be necessary to file down the outer lip or circumference of the crystal to make the diameter slightly smaller
    -- this will allow you to install it more easily
    -- if you do this, you should add a small amount of silicon caulk or crystal cement to protect the water resistance because it is difficult to grind the crystal circumference perfectly and evenly

- a special jig or holder could be made to hold the crystal at a precise distance from a grinding disc or sanding belt as you rotate the crystal to remove material precisely
    -- it is easier to hold a crystal for more precise work if you attach it to the end of a large dowel, 3/4"/19mm or 1"/25mm for example, using a chunk of Rodico or a ball of tape
    -- see youtube for ideas: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...g+tool+holder+

Option 2

Purchase a Used Vintage Crystal and Tension Ring

-- purchase from recommended ebay or etsy sellers
    - ebay seller asap31 has a good collection of new and vintage Vostok parts
    - ensure the crystal is completely free of cracks and the mounting lip is not damaged. Ask seller for more photos if necessary

- you can re-use your original ring

- if you need another ring: ask if the tension ring is supplied with the crystal or if they have a ring available
    - you can re-use the ring from your original old crystal if it is not bent or badly warped

Option 3

Install a New Amphibia Crystal

- some folks have successfully installed an Amphibia crystal with and without the Amphibia tension ring
    - these crystals are thicker so they will sit higher. If this is not a problem for you, this is a good option.
    - these are much stronger than a Komandirskie crystal so they will not crack easily, even when dropped onto a hard floor.

------------------------------------

NOTES:

1. Crystal Lift: is the preferred tool to install a Komandirskie crystal

Lift vs. Press: a Lift COMPRESSES a crystal / a Press EXPANDS a crystal

- If you use a crystal press to install a vintage or new crystal into a Komandiirskie, the crystal may crack. It is too thin.

Name:  Crystal Lift - jpeg.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  109.3 KB

- the holder allows the lift 'fingers' to engage, in proper alignment, the outer circumference of the crystal.

Amphibia Crystals: some folks use either a press or a lift

- a press often works more easily because the crystal is very thick and is difficult to compress with a crystal lift. The lift may leave gashes aroung the circumference due to the high pressure needed to compress such a thick crystal

- Amphibia crystals are much stronger and will not easily break
    - It is always best when installing any crystal, using a press, to apply pressure to the outer edge - NOT the centre. Use a section of plastic pipe or the centre piece of a roll of tape or similar to apply pressure away from the centre of the crystal. Some crystal presses include such special attachments

- a drill press can be used if you don't have access to a proper crystal press

2. Whichever crystal option you choose, you should first test the water resistance before installing the movement / mechanism. Simply assemble the entire case, gaskets, crown and crystal then submerge into a deep bowl of water. If after 1 hour there is no water penetration around the crystal, all is good. If water has leaked around the crystal, remove it and add sealant to the crystal such as silicon caulk or crystal cement. The cement, or adhesive, will permanently damage the sealing surface of the crystal so the crystal will have to be replaced if it is removed in the future.

If good water resistance is not necessary for you, disregard this.

--------------------------------------

See these:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/ko...t-3962418.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/ol...nt-752743.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/ko...lp-798328.html

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/ko...p-3046458.html
    Last edited by Matt_Bored_O; February 27th, 2019 at 21:49.
    jimzilla, Vost and NOTSHARP like this.

Discount Codes: Meranom Store

Meranom will give you a discount on watches and parts if you input one of these codes when you complete the order

**No discount may be given for watches or parts that are already discounted or reduced in price

- Use only one code per transaction

- Each code offers the same discount

------------------------------------------------

Site__________________________CODE

wus................................watchuseek

w.ru..........................watchru16 or watchru

ru watch review site.............getat5

------------------------------------------------

Meranom:

http://https://meranom.com/en/
    Last edited by Matt_Bored_O; February 24th, 2019 at 22:15.
    Slm643 and Vost like this.

@Matt... You rock dude. I love the detailed and thorough answers you always provide. Just wanted to make sure you know your labors are appreciated.
    Matt_Bored_O, NOTSHARP and Utva_56 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BreaksThings View Post
    @Matt... You rock dude. I love the detailed and thorough answers you always provide. Just wanted to make sure you know your labors are appreciated.
    Thanks mate !

I enjoy helping you guys.
    Last edited by Matt_Bored_O; February 27th, 2019 at 10:33.
    24h, NOTSHARP, Utva_56 and 2 others like this.

Some may be interested in the position of spring bar holes in the 150 case, compared with the 710.

This is a 150 case. Notice how low down in the lug, the hole is positioned.

Here is a 710.

And this is the 090 case that I butchered into a 150.

You will notice that the factory machining on the lug is not good.

Due to the hole positions, straps, or bracelets, sit low in the lugs.

Steve.
    PDAdict, Matt_Bored_O and Vost like this.

Good afternoon all, I would just like to share the tools and process I use for removing the bezel inserts from the bezels. It works flawlessly and rather quickly,
    usually 10 to 20 minutes. It works on the double sided self adhesive. I have used it on the white adhesive and the black adhesive.
    I have not tried it yet on glued down bezel inserts. The adhesive remover I use has not harmed any bezel or insert that I have used it on, no corrosion, no discoloration, it has been perfect.
    It is not cheap but you get what you pay for. It is reusable as well. I soak the bezel, remove the bezel and pour the rest back in to the can. It is very economical to use.
    Last edited by jimzilla; March 3rd, 2019 at 15:50.
    Matt_Bored_O likes this.

First step is to submerge the bezel In 3M adhesive remover and let it soak for 10-20 minutes. I use a little stainless steel container you can get from a nail salon supply.
    Fits like it was made for a bezel
    Attached Images Attached Images

Matt_Bored_O and NOTSHARP like this.

Page 37 of 43 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 LastLast

Thread Information