--- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA --- - Page 41
Like Tree562Likes

Thread: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast

Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Quote Originally Posted by Miyota-kaiKarate View Post

1. Is there anyone who does custom crowns or crown engraving?
    I am not aware of anyone.

Engraving is a service you may be able to find locally.

- the standard Vostok crown has a thin stainless shell over a brass crown so the engraving cannot be too deep
    -- for engraving, it is best to buy a solid stainless crown from Meranom: currently, these are the only crowns that could be called 'custom'

Quote Originally Posted by Jake_P View Post
    You can bake a dial in an oven which is something some people do it seems. It seems to turn the lume a brownish colour depending on how long you leave it in for. Times and temperatures seem a bit random so it may be that you have to keep a very close eye on it! I've baked a bezel and the lume pip did indeed look old/brown from it's original green. Again, it doesn't seem like an exact science and you rmileage may vary given the lume type/dial material..I can't really vouch for it as a method as I don't have the experience. I remember seeing f10 member ThePossumKing's baked dial and the surface of the dial had really cracked giving it a nice worn vintage (semi destroyed!) look..

You can also try staining the lume or markers with tea/coffee from what I stumbled upon..was thinking of doing this to my new hands which have very white lume which doesn't match the creamy faux patina of the dial markers..not sure if I'll do this though ;)
    Thanks for the answering the question on dial patina! I remember reading about it in another thread but can't seem to find it anymore.

What about custom crowns? Does anybody know if anyone is doing them?
    Follow me on IG @thewristyinvestor

Quote Originally Posted by Miyota-kaiKarate View Post
    Thanks for the answering the question on dial patina! I remember reading about it in another thread but can't seem to find it anymore.

What about custom crowns? Does anybody know if anyone is doing them?
    Like Matt said above, I haven't heard of any mods in this area but I agree that finding an engraver is probably the easiest thing. You can buy engraver pens with diamond tips that vibrate but from what I've seen on the likes of Amazon, they look a little..amateur shall we say ;)
    Matt_Bored_O likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have a question about the 2416B and the 2414 movements. When you disable the calendar assembly let's say for a dial face with no date and remove the calendar plate is it o.k. to set the dial face directly on the hour wheel foil? I have before I was wondering if it is proper procedure. I would also like to know how much more height it gives you on the hour wheel stem when installing the hour hand with the calendar plate removed. When you disable the calendar assembly and remove the intermediate calendar wheel does it affect the timing of the watch?
    thanks guy's, James.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzilla View Post
    I have a question about the 2416B and the 2414 movements. When you disable the calendar assembly let's say for a dial face with no date and remove the calendar plate is it o.k. to set the dial face directly on the hour wheel foil? I have before I was wondering if it is proper procedure. I would also like to know how much more height it gives you on the hour wheel stem when installing the hour hand with the calendar plate removed. When you disable the calendar assembly and remove the intermediate calendar wheel does it affect the timing of the watch?
    thanks guy's, James.
    Hey

Firstly, if you are using one of those movements with a no-date dial there is no reason to remove any of the calendar complication at all, it will run just fine with no modification and won't be fouled.

The primary reason to remove the date complication in it's entirety is to ensure that the hands will have sufficient clearance with the dial when using extra thick dials, such as a sandwich dial. The extra height gained may actually cause issues when using a regular thickness dial as the hands will now sit closer to the watch crystal and there is a possibility the seconds hand will be fouled by the crystal.

When removing the date complication it is necessary to make sure the curved washer is used, otherwise the hour pinion will lift and cause issues.

As long as the watch is regulated after the date complication removal then the accuracy should not be affected.

Quote Originally Posted by mariomart View Post

.....The extra height gained may actually cause issues when using a regular thickness dial as the hands will now sit closer to the watch crystal and there is a possibility the seconds hand will be fouled by the crystal.....
    I don't think this is what occurs. The hands are installed at the same height regardless of whether or not the date mechanism is installed or removed. The only change is that if the date mechanism is removed from a 2414 / 2614 and a stadard dial is installed, the dial can be dropped down slightly, closer to the mechanism. This will provide slightly more clearance for a thick dial / thick markers on the dial or for thick hands. The hands will not move closer to the crystal.

So, the dial can be moved up or down / further or closer to the face of the watch mechanism.

The Hour and Minute hands (not Seconds Hand) can be installed slightly further down toward the dial but not further up toward the crystal.

As Mario said, this extra clearance is good for thick dials or thick hands.

For myself, I install only 2414.

If I have a standard dial I leave the date mechanism installed if not needed or sometimes I will only remove the calendar wheel (the part with the calendar numbers). I leave everything else intact.

As Mario said, the accuracy may have to be regulated slightly if the date mechanism is removed. When regulated properly, the accuracy is not affected by the date mechanism. The regulation compensates for any loss created by the date mechanism which puts a very small load on the system for a short period of time each day.

So, if you install or remove the date mechanism, the accuracy will possibly change slightly.

Therefore, you must again adjust the regulation to compensate for this change and the watch will again achieve it usual good accuracy.

All my watches have 2414 with date mechanism, whether I need the date or not

All have excellent accuracy.

Regulation is a simple adjustment for any watch repair man if you don't want to do it yourself.
    Last edited by Matt_Bored_O; 4 Weeks Ago at 04:47.
    24h, jimzilla and NOTSHARP like this.

So removing the calendar wheel and calendar wheel plate will give me the extra room for a thicker dial, yes?
    Matt_Bored_O likes this.

24h

Quote Originally Posted by jimzilla View Post
    So removing the calendar wheel and calendar wheel plate will give me the extra room for a thicker dial, yes?
    Yes, because there will be more space between the hour hand and the movement.
    Matt_Bored_O and jimzilla like this.

My YouTube Channel for watch modding and I​nstagram for (mostly) Russian watches

If you remove the 'calendar plate' (the large, flat, circlular plate inside the middle of the date wheel) then you should move the dial down further to contact the 'wave' or dial washer. The calendar plate pushes against the dial washer and holds the Hour Wheel in its place.

Without the calendar plate, the dial must push against the dial washer.

If the dial does not sufficiently contact the dial washer, the Hour Wheel may lift and the Hour hand may stop or move erratically.

The dial washer pushes down on the Hour Wheel to hold it in down and keep it engaged with the gear train.
    jimzilla likes this.

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 LastLast

Thread Information