--- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA --- - Page 45
Like Tree807Likes

Thread: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Page 45 of 58 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast
Results 441 to 450 of 574
  1. #441
    Member jimzilla's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Location
    Florida - USA
    Posts
    477

    Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Bored_O View Post

    After Setting the Time, To Wind the Watch: First You Must Fully Screw Down the Crown:



    This is a common characteristic of the 24xx Vostok movement / mechanism

    - many owners report this
    - it is not harmful
    - it is simply an unusual characteristic due to the design of the 'keyless works' mechanism and the crown / stem clutch system (the famous 'wobbly' loose crown)
    - this does not normally occur when winding before setting the time: the time may be set after winding without first screwing down the crown

    When the crown is screwed down after setting the time, the stem and the keyless works mechanism parts will move into the proper positions to allow you to wind the watch when you unscrew the crown again. You may hear a small click sound or feel a slight 'snap'. This is normal.

    However, if you must tap the watch on a hard surface after you screw down the crown to make the mechanism parts click into place, then the keyless works mechanism may need to be cleaned and lubricated. This is not a difficult task but you must remove the hands and dial to access these parts. Vostok factory lubrication is not always as good as it should be and it is not uncommon for the keyless works mechanism to require more lubrication.

    - usually a thick watch oil or light watch grease is utilised:

    -- Moebius HP-1300
    -- Moebius 8300
    -- Moebius D-5

    or equivalent
    .
    Hi Matt I hope all is well. You wouldn't happen to have a diagram as to where you lube the parts and which ones? it would be nice to do while you are building the watch.
    thank you Matt, best regards, James.
    Matt_Bored_O likes this.



    HOME OF THE
    SIDEWINDER


    HOME OF THE CASEBACK TOOL

    HOME OF THE WINDER TOOL

  2. #442
    Member VWatchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Sollentuna, SWEDEN
    Posts
    410

    Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

    Found the following section on the page "A deeper look at the SII NH35A watch movement":

    "Now all of this is “interesting” but not very useful to anyone other than budding watch geeks who might still be enthusiastic about picking up an Invicta 8296OB or a Vostok Amphibia for cheap which are powered by the SII NH35A."

    I can't recall ever having seen a genuine Vostok Amphibia with any other movement that the Vostok cal. 2415/16. The Buyalov watches on meranom.com have this SEIKO movement. Is this perhaps a misunderstanding on the behalf of the writer of the article, or did I miss something?
    Never use force. Get a bigger hammer.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

  3. #443
    Member EndeavourDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,049

    Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

    Quote Originally Posted by VWatchie View Post
    I can't recall ever having seen a genuine Vostok Amphibia with any other movement that the Vostok cal. 2415/16. The Buyalov watches on meranom.com have this SEIKO movement. Is this perhaps a misunderstanding on the behalf of the writer of the article, or did I miss something?
    Looking back through the catalogues an Amphibian is shown in the 1976 catalogue and that one is powered by the 2209 movement. I haven't gone through every page of the subsequent catalogues, but it looks that the Amphibians were initially powered by the 2209 (and perhaps some by the 2214??). In the 1983 catalogue the Amphibian still has the 2209. In the 1990 catalogue I spotted only an Amphibian with the 2409A movement, another Amphibian (25(0) case) with a 2414A movement and a 93 case with a 2416b movement. The 22xx movements appeared to have been phased out somewhere between 1983 and 1990, to be replaced by the 24xx movements.
    The 2415 automatic is a much later movement.

    I'm not aware of any Vostok Amphibians with any other than these movements either ...... but maybe I missed something too .....
    Last edited by EndeavourDK; May 17th, 2019 at 17:28. Reason: Spelling
    VWatchie likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #444
    Member Matt_Bored_O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Ontario, CANADA
    Posts
    1,058

    Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

    Quote Originally Posted by VWatchie View Post

    .....The Buyalov watches on meranom.com have this SEIKO movement. Is this perhaps a misunderstanding on the behalf of the writer of the article, or did I miss something?

    I think it is a misunderstanding.

    Perhaps this is a rumour.
    Perhaps the Buyalov models have caused confusion, although the article was written before the Buyalov models were introduced.

    I have written a short response to that article in the comment section to help clear the confusion.
    VWatchie likes this.

  6. #445
    Member VWatchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Sollentuna, SWEDEN
    Posts
    410

    Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

    During the past two years or so, my number one interest has been to learn about and practice watch servicing and repair. So far, I’ve been working on the most common Vostok 24XX movements (2409/14/15/16b) where my journey began with the help you comrades, the rather impressive Poljot cal. 2614.2H and some Swiss calibres such as ETA 1080, AS 1203, OMEGA 601, UNITAS 6498. Next in line is the classic ETA 2824-2 (can’t wait for it).

    I must have been tinkering with watches in a previous life as I feel such contentment and enjoyment handling tools and tiny parts. Anyway, I always seem to miss and return to the Vostok 24XX movements. Their value for money is just incredible and to me they are always going have a special place in my heart.

    Anyway, the point of this post is to share the disassembly and assembly pictures I took of a Vostok cal. 2414 that I’ve just serviced (a Komandirskie with a rather different dial). Since a while back I’ve started to carefully document these steps by taking pictures for any, to me, new (or not yet documented) movement that I work on.

    There aren’t any fixed rules for how to take a watch movement apart or how to reassemble it and it can be done in many ways, but I’ve learned an established practice, devised to make the process as safe and painless as possible. For example, this practice means that the balance assembly (as we all know is the most sensitive part of the movement) is removed as soon as possible, that the motion work is removed before the train wheel bridge to make it safer and easier to remove the cannon pinion, and so on. The pictures follow this established practice, but of course, don’t cover tools, techniques, and lubrication, but should be helpful to anyone already having acquired those skills. To follow along, the pictures, stored on OneDrive, should be sorted by name.

    I also have a set of pictures showing my assembly steps (pictures taken during disassembly!) of a Vostok 2416b. I never really meant to share those pictures so that’s why they also include coloured arrows to suggest points (but not quantity) of lubrication. (white arrow = Moebius 9010, blue arrow = Moebius 9501, red arrow = Moebius 9104, yellow arrow = Moebius 9415). Going through those lubrication points now I have some small objections, but good enough, I guess!

    Anyway, I hope that my pictures will contribute to this excellent thread and to promote our love for Vostok watches!
    Last edited by VWatchie; May 27th, 2019 at 21:09.
    Never use force. Get a bigger hammer.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

  7. #446
    Member Slm643's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    6,136

    Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

    I really like these posts, I'm not a watchmaker, but I do find it very interesting

    Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Matt_Bored_O likes this.

  8. #447
    Member EndeavourDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,049

    Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

    @VWatchie; Very well done and very good pictures too

    A small remark on picture 43 & 44 keyless, the very small intermediate sprocket. Have you ever noticed that the internal bore has on one side a slight chamfer? That chamfer has to go on top. Failure to do so may cause problems and interfere with the cover-plate, not always but I had too many. Since I noticed the chamfer and placed it the correct way, never again. If unaware, you have a 50% chance to assembly it correctly

    Perhaps we can combine forces again and help Matt in his Vostok repair section. I did sent him already some basic & specific Vostok tutorials of how to change hands, how to change a dial and how to change a date-wheel; this to help the "Modders" among us.
    These tutorials haven't been posted jet, but Matt said he will do so shortly.

    Anyway, nice to see you here again
    VWatchie and Matt_Bored_O like this.

  9. #448
    Member VWatchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Sollentuna, SWEDEN
    Posts
    410

    Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

    Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    @VWatchie; Very well done and very good pictures too

    A small remark on picture 43 & 44 keyless, the very small intermediate sprocket. Have you ever noticed that the internal bore has on one side a slight chamfer? That chamfer has to go on top. Failure to do so may cause problems and interfere with the cover-plate, not always but I had too many. Since I noticed the chamfer and placed it the correct way, never again. If unaware, you have a 50% chance to assembly it correctly

    Perhaps we can combine forces again and help Matt in his Vostok repair section. I did sent him already some basic & specific Vostok tutorials of how to change hands, how to change a dial and how to change a date-wheel; this to help the "Modders" among us.
    These tutorials haven't been posted jet, but Matt said he will do so shortly.

    Anyway, nice to see you here again
    Yes, I have noticed the chamfer on the intermediate wheel, but wasn't sure in what direction to place it, so good point, thanks! When you say "chamfer has to go on top", do mean that the chamfer should be facing you when placed on the main plate? I would assume the answer is yes, but I just want to make sure! The "cover-plate" covers the parts of the keyless works (hence often called just that) but the "correct" terminology is in fact "setting lever spring". I don't mean to teach you, and you probably already know as I know that you are a skilled watch repairer. Just thinking about those who might be new to watch movement terminology.

    Those tutorials will be greatly appreciated by many I'm sure! (I would have "killed" for them when I was new!) and if I can contribute with my pictures (I believe they can be downloaded), or something else I'd be glad to. Perhaps my "Differences between Vostok 24XX parts" posts over at watchrepairtalk.com can be of some use? Please feel free to use!

    Thanks, and nice to be here comrades!
    EndeavourDK and Matt_Bored_O like this.
    Never use force. Get a bigger hammer.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

  10. #449
    Member EndeavourDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    1,049

    Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

    Quote Originally Posted by VWatchie View Post
    Yes, I have noticed the chamfer on the intermediate wheel, but wasn't sure in what direction to place it, so good point, thanks! When you say "chamfer has to go on top", do mean that the chamfer should be facing you when placed on the main plate? I would assume the answer is yes, but I just want to make sure! The "cover-plate" covers the parts of the keyless works (hence often called just that) but the "correct" terminology is in fact "setting lever spring". I don't mean to teach you, and you probably already know as I know that you are a skilled watch repairer. Just thinking about those who might be new to watch movement terminology.

    Those tutorials will be greatly appreciated by many I'm sure! (I would have "killed" for them when I was new!) and if I can contribute with my pictures (I believe they can be downloaded), or something else I'd be glad to. Perhaps my "Differences between Vostok 24XX parts" posts over at watchrepairtalk.com can be of some use? Please feel free to use!

    Thanks, and nice to be here comrades!
    Yes, the correct term would perhaps be "setting lever spring", but they come in different shapes & forms. In case of the Vostok it's a plate with lots of "extra" functions and by lack of a better word for the precise descriptions of all these functions, I assumed people working on the keyless would know what I mean
    Sometimes using the precise description, although technically being correct, can, depending on the audience, be confusion too. I guess you know that all too well

    Yes, the chamfer of the little intermediate wheel has to face up, towards the keyless "coverplate" / setting-lever-spring, facing you.

    On the internet there is lots of information on how to do certain aspects of watch repair, but according to Matt there is a great need for very Vostok specific. Matt is the coordinator for these tutorials but has, as I understood, at the moment some other issues.
    I guess we have to wait a little and as soon as I hear from him, we'll team up
    VWatchie and Matt_Bored_O like this.

  11. #450
    Member VWatchie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Sollentuna, SWEDEN
    Posts
    410

    Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

    Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    Yes, the correct term would perhaps be "setting lever spring", but they come in different shapes & forms. In case of the Vostok it's a plate with lots of "extra" functions and by lack of a better word for the precise descriptions of all these functions, I assumed people working on the keyless would know what I mean
    Sometimes using the precise description, although technically being correct, can, depending on the audience, be confusion too. I guess you know that all too well

    Yes, the chamfer of the little intermediate wheel has to face up, towards the keyless "coverplate" / setting-lever-spring, facing you.

    On the internet there is lots of information on how to do certain aspects of watch repair, but according to Matt there is a great need for very Vostok specific. Matt is the coordinator for these tutorials but has, as I understood, at the moment some other issues.
    I guess we have to wait a little and as soon as I hear from him, we'll team up
    Couldn't agree with you more! And to make matters worse, the same part is called different things depending on location, like "mainspring barrel = going barrel = first wheel...", and "yoke = return bar = ..." and so on. As you say, what matters is that we understand each other, and I knew perfectly well what you meant by "cover plate" but many would call it a setting lever spring which isn't easy to grasp before you understand the setting lever of the keyless works.

    Crystal clear!

    Looking forward to it!
    EndeavourDK and Matt_Bored_O like this.
    Never use force. Get a bigger hammer.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

Page 45 of 58 FirstFirst ... 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Buying my first Vostok Amphibia
      By Rschan in forum Russian watches
      Replies: 8
      Last Post: September 28th, 2015, 19:54
    2. Replies: 10
      Last Post: September 27th, 2014, 15:43
    3. WTT Vostok Amphibia Boctok Missions 5-6 by Vostok Amphibia SE
      By jose-CostaRica in forum WTT - Trade Corner
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: September 6th, 2014, 20:30
    4. Thinking about buying a vostok amphibia
      By roch68 in forum Affordable watches
      Replies: 20
      Last Post: July 25th, 2011, 08:47
    5. Tonneau Amphibia buying guide?
      By LGH in forum Russian watches
      Replies: 1
      Last Post: April 29th, 2011, 11:02

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •