--- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA --- - Page 48
Like Tree807Likes

Thread: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast

Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Quote Originally Posted by BreaksThings View Post

....some older date wheels are thicker than the new ones.....
    Thank you for this info.

If a thick date wheel must be installed onto a modern 2414 /16 you can reduce the thickness by rubbing it onto a sheet of sand paper. First coarse, medium, then fine. Be sure to apply even pressure to prevent low spots. Protect the painted side with low adhesive painter's tape.

However, it is best to purchase a modern date wheel so that you don't have to damage a vintage wheel.

Some weird things are happening with the WUS software, which currently is going haywire. Post and pictures are simply disappearing.
    In the "changing hands and dial" picture #40 has vanished.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/gu...042242-46.html

In the "change date-wheel" picture #1 has vanished.
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/gu...042242-46.html

Here are both pictures again:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by EndeavourDK; June 22nd, 2019 at 16:19.
    VWatchie and Matt_Bored_O like this.

Anyone in the US who services Vostok watches?

My amphibia has a few problems:

It has a tendency to build up condensation (inside) moving from humid outdoors to air-conditioned indoors, and vice versa. I'm hoping this might just need replacing o rings or gaskets.

I take it off when I go to bed, and it is usually dead by the time I wake up in the morning. Based on the time on the dial, it seems to only last a couple hours after I take it off. Is this typical of these watches, or is this an indication that I might need to send it in for a tuneup?

I know I could just buy a new one, but I like this case and dial. I don't necessarily mind paying more than the watch it worth to get it up and running at its best, but of course it would be nice if it's not too expensive to fix.
    Matt_Bored_O likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by passaloutre View Post
    Anyone in the US who services Vostok watches?

My amphibia has a few problems:

It has a tendency to build up condensation (inside) moving from humid outdoors to air-conditioned indoors, and vice versa. I'm hoping this might just need replacing o rings or gaskets.

I take it off when I go to bed, and it is usually dead by the time I wake up in the morning. Based on the time on the dial, it seems to only last a couple hours after I take it off. Is this typical of these watches, or is this an indication that I might need to send it in for a tuneup?

I know I could just buy a new one, but I like this case and dial. I don't necessarily mind paying more than the watch it worth to get it up and running at its best, but of course it would be nice if it's not too expensive to fix.
    Any committed watch repairer should be able to help you.

The case gasket and/or the crown gasket are the most likely culprits for the condensation. These gaskets can be replaced if you know how to remove the case back lid and the crown (please see EndeavourDK's excellent tutorials in this thread), and you must silicone grease the gaskets richly as the gaskets tend to absorb the grease when they are new (re-grease after a few days). Be aware that the gasket sizes vary depending on whether it is an Amphibian or a Komandirskie, and some Komandirskies require an Amphibian crown gasket. I recommend you get a set of gaskets for the Amphibian and a set of gaskets for the Komandirskie unless you are sure of what you need. Search eBay for "Amphibian seal"/"Komandirskie seal" or get them from meranom.com. Sometimes, although unusual, the crystal doesn't fit as it should and needs to be replaced (I've recorded a video showing how it is done). I guess the case back lid could be skewed but I find that highly unlikely, but you can always have a look. I also recommend that you don't wear the watch until you've taken care of this. Store it in a dry place. Condensation can cause a lot of havoc on the movement making parts rust.

The power reserve of a fully wound and healthy Vostok 24XX should be well over 30 hours, so something is definitely wrong with your movement. Even if it is an automatic (cal. 2415 and cal 2416) the power reserve should easily last overnight, and to the following morning as well. There could be many reasons for this, one of them being the mainspring slipping too early in the mainspring barrel if it is an automatic, but it could also be a problem with the automatic works, but hard to say exactly what without a proper investigation. I would try replacing the barrel complete, you'll find them on eBay and meranom.com. Just make sure you get the right type of barrel for your movement and be aware that there are an old version and a new version type of barrel. You can read about it here.

No, you can not buy a new one! Every watch has a soul, is priceless and irreplaceable, no matter if it is a Patek, Poljot, or Vostok!

Good luck and please keep us updated on your progress!
    Never use force. Get a bigger hammer.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

I am not officially entitled to give EndeavourDK a medal for his excellent work with the tutorials, but if I were entitled, I'd give him this:

~ Ratfacedgit

Thank you

I'm flattered and just ordered a suit for it .....

Last edited by EndeavourDK; July 4th, 2019 at 17:34.
    Stoppel1, Vost, VWatchie and 3 others like this.

Vostok 2409 Service Walkthrough Disassembly Pictures (Please sort by name in ascending order)
    Vostok 2409 Service Walkthrough Assembly Pictures (Please sort by name in ascending order)

Name:  RR.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  133.8 KB

My first "calibre love" was the Vostok 2409; a reliable Soviet/Russian 17 jewels manual workhorse without any complications which has been around since 1970.

As many of you know, modern-day Vostok Amphibians use the automatic Vostok 2415 (w/o date complication) and the 2416 (with date complication) calibres, but the Amphibian that I’m servicing in this walkthrough, an Amphibian Albatross Radio Room, popular among collectors, is from the 1980s and in those days the manual 2409, as well as its predecessor the 2209, was commonly used in the Amphibians as well as the Komandirskies.

While I was servicing this watch, I noticed that the crystal didn’t fit perfectly in the watch case. Being a dead serious dive watch originally designed for the Soviet navy this was, of course, unacceptable, so I replaced the crystal and video recorded the event in my “Bergeon No 5500 Crystal Press Review”.

For me, the 2409 was a great movement to get started with as it probably is the most affordable movement on the planet, and spare parts are readily available and cost next to nothing. A lost or damaged part never spells financial disaster. Also, eBay offers an abundance of used Vostok watches in decent condition housing this movement for as little as $20 and sometimes less. A brand new Vostok 2409 (www.meranom.com) can be had for as little as $27. Be aware that, almost without exception, the eBay listings always state that these Vostok watches have been serviced, but in my experience they rarely are. That is, an excellent opputunity for those of us who enjoy servicing and repairing watches!

A somewhat tricky bit about the 2409 is to remove and replace the anti-shock springs. For this, I use a self-made tool made from peg wood. It’s shown in one of the assembly pictures together with a description of how I made it. A very similar tool is demonstrated in this video.

So, if you want a whole lot of fun for next to nothing when it comes to money, there is no other movement I would recommend before the Vostok 24XX movements, and the 2409 is a great starting point if you have a desire to begin tinkering with watches. Be warned though; tinkering may take over a substantial chunk of your life!
    ~ Ratfacedgit

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    Thank you

I'm flattered and just ordered a suit for it .....
    Great! Remember to post a picture of yourself wearing it once it arrives!
    EndeavourDK likes this.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

Quote Originally Posted by VWatchie View Post
    A somewhat tricky bit about the 2409 is to remove and replace the anti-shock springs. For this, I use a self-made tool made from peg wood. It’s shown in one of the assembly pictures together with a description of how I made it. A very similar tool is demonstrated in this video.
    Excellent walkthrough with excellent pictures ....... my hats off to you !!

Two things;

1) I use the same anti-shock spring removal / placing tool as you do and they work indeed as a treat. I had a picture of it on WRT with a cross-sectional drawing (Molnija 3602 movement). Since it works so good, I like to re-post that picture here. Mine is made of a 3mm peg-wood, same 1mm hole.

2) I think you deserve a decoration too, hereby attached. Now you can order your suit and we can start forming the line-up

VWatchie and Matt_Bored_O like this.

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    Excellent walkthrough with excellent pictures ....... my hats off to you !!

Two things;

1) I use the same anti-shock spring removal / placing tool as you do and they work indeed as a treat. I had a picture of it on WRT with a cross-sectional drawing (Molnija 3602 movement). Since it works so good, I like to re-post that picture here. Mine is made of a 3mm peg-wood, same 1mm hole.

2) I think you deserve a decoration too, hereby attached. Now you can order your suit and we can start forming the line-up
    1) I've seen many people ask about this kind of anti-shock spring and how to safely remove it and replace it, so your illustration is and will be much appreciated by future readers. So, just to make sure, the only difference between yours and my Vostok anti-shock spring tool is that yours uses a 3 mm in diameter peg wood stick while mine uses 2 mm and that the 1 mm hole of my tool is shallow while yours is deeper. I don't think any of this would make any difference!?

2) I look forward to marching up and down the Moscow Red Square with the crowds cheering us on!
    ~ Ratfacedgit

Page 48 of 58 FirstFirst ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... LastLast

Thread Information