--- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA --- - Page 50
Like Tree807Likes

Thread: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Page 50 of 58 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 LastLast

Re: --- A Guide: Buying / Modifying / Repairing VOSTOK AMPHIBIA ---

Quote Originally Posted by jimzilla View Post
    I installed a 2409 movement into a 020 case and the movement sits low in the watch. I used the thin Meranom case back for installing manual wind movements into amphibia cases why is it sitting low?
    Does anyone have an opinion?, thanks james.

HOME OF THE
    SIDEWINDER

HOME OF THE CASEBACK TOOL

HOME OF THE WINDER TOOL

Did you put the movement into an Amphibian movement holder/ring and is it attached to the ring right side up
    jimzilla likes this.

Yes?, actually, I will check today. thank you Father of five.
    Last edited by jimzilla; July 23rd, 2019 at 14:42.

HOME OF THE
    SIDEWINDER

HOME OF THE WINDER TOOL

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

James,

Perhaps you installed the dial too low = too close to the face of the 2409 movement.??

It appears the dial is not touching the bottom edge of the crystal / tension ring.

Lift the dial up a small amount and ensure it is level.

Some of the new 2409 models are now produced with a plate to position the dial the same amount from the face of the movement as that created by the date mechanism of the 2414/2416. This makes dial installation easier and prevents the dial sitting too low and helps it sit level.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt_Bored_O View Post
    James,

Perhaps you installed the dial too low = too close to the face of the 2409 movement.??

It appears the dial is not touching the bottom edge of the crystal / tension ring.

Lift the dial up a small amount and ensure it is level.

Some of the new 2409 models are now produced with a plate to position the dial the same amount from the face of the movement as that created by the date mechanism of the 2414/2416. This makes dial installation easier and prevents the dial sitting too low and helps it sit level.
    I ended up recasing the watch but it does still sit low. I did not know you would have to adjust the dial face up, I always figured the dial sits flat on the movement. thank you I will try that.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Father of five likes this.

HOME OF THE
    SIDEWINDER

HOME OF THE WINDER TOOL

So am I correct in thinking thst the manual wind 2409 movement and the 2415 auto wind - are mostly the same, apart from the inclusion of the rotor and winding module on the 2415?
    Longstride.

Anonimo/Amphibia/Sinn/Kobold/O&W
    CWC/Rolex/MKII/Seiko/Fortis/Smith's

Quote Originally Posted by longstride View Post
    So am I correct in thinking thst the manual wind 2409 movement and the 2415 auto wind - are mostly the same, apart from the inclusion of the rotor and winding module on the 2415?
    Correct.

Also, the mainspring of the 2415 is different from the 2409: it slips when fully wound to prevent over-winding. This is the typical style used for automatics.
    24h, longstride and VWatchie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimzilla View Post
    I ended up recasing the watch but it does still sit low. I did not know you would have to adjust the dial face up, I always figured the dial sits flat on the movement. thank you I will try that.
    James,

Admittedly, the hands sit lower on the 2409 versus the movements with date mechanism so there is not much space to lift the dial before it touches the hands. You must ensure that you install the hands only enough to make them tight - do not seat them too low. This will give you a small amount of extra space to move the dial up.

If necessary, you could either:

1. purchase the new 2409 that has the plate that substitutes for the date mechanism plate

-- the dial and hands sit higher on this model; the same as the models with date mechanism. This new model 2409 has the longer Hour Wheel, Cannon Pinion, and Fourth Wheel / Seconds Hand Pinion as those installed on the models with date mechanism

2. purchase separately or scavenge these parts from a 2414/2416 (Date mechanism models):
    Hour Wheel, Cannon Pinion, Fourth Wheel / Seconds Hand Pinion
    - these are the parts that carry the hands

-- these parts are longer for the models with date mechanism. This extra length allows the hands and dial to sit higher and provide clearance for the date mechanism. With the longer parts and no date mechanism installed, you have a little more space to move the dial and hands up or down.

I prefer to always install the 2414.

I can choose to keep the date mechanism regardless of whether or not I install a dial with the date window. This allows the dial to install easily at the proper height and if I need some extra clearance between the hands and dial, I can remove the date mechanism and move the dial down slightly. More options.
    Last edited by Matt_Bored_O; July 25th, 2019 at 21:12.
    jimzilla and VWatchie like this.

Well, this is definitely OT, but since we're into Russian/Soviet watches at least there is some connection. On a more serious note I think it is well worth remembering that even in the very coldest days of the cold war, Reagan still remembered that the Russian people were human and not some evil out of space robotic monsters looking to overtake the world. Please enjoy!
    24h and Matt_Bored_O like this.
    Never use force. Get a bigger hammer.
    ~ Ratfacedgit

Quote Originally Posted by VWatchie View Post
    .....in the very coldest days of the cold war, Reagan still remembered that the Russian people were human and not some evil out of space robotic monsters looking to overtake the world.....
    Well said !!!

One of the main reasons for my own love of Russian watches is that I want to remember the hard working Russian people who produced the watches.

The vintage Soviet timepieces were produced by ordinary people living and working in difficult circumstances and attempting to make a better life for themselves. Long hours in the factories with many deprivations.

Some folks in the West, especially here in North America, think that buying a Russian watch is supporting a Communist country or helping our 'enemy'. Russia is now neither communist or our enemy. Each Russian watch represents hard work and sacrifice given by ordinary people.

It is a source of great concern to me that the Russian watch industry is now only a mere fraction of its former immensity and greatness.

I encourage everyone to consider collecting vintage Soviet watches to enjoy the unique designs, intelligent engineering and quality workmanship.

I also encourage everyone to purchase a new Russian watch such as a Vostok.

We must help keep the factories open and keep the Russian people working. Unemployment is a problem in Russia today and we must play our small role as watch enthusiasts. We cannot allow to vanish completely that which was once one of the greatest watch making industries in world history.

Purchase a Russian watch and wear it with pride.

You will wear the history and hard work of the admirable Russian people.
    Last edited by Matt_Bored_O; August 2nd, 2019 at 03:39.
    24h, Utva_56, VWatchie and 1 others like this.

Page 50 of 58 FirstFirst ... 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 LastLast

Thread Information