Help me assess issue with Vostok 420007 stoping - Page 3
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Help me assess issue with Vostok 420007 stoping

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    I also get your point. Maybe a more experienced master can help us here. Somehow it works. Maybe it creates that extra tiny space that allows the balance to move a bit up and down. Maybe it is not even bridge touching but just not jamming the pivots into the worn jewels. Obviously each case is somewhat unique and a careful examination is needed.
    EndeavourDK and buddhawake like this.

Re: Help me assess issue with Vostok 420007 stoping

Just further to my experience with 2409 movemnt. It was NOS watch , with problem stopping face up. I have found advice on the forum thread about inserting extra shim. For my case that solve the problem.
    Info on shims from tovarish Northsharp. Different shim thks. will give different gap btw. bridge plate and support plate.
    Name:  shim_sheet_under_balance_bridge.JPG
Views: 19
Size:  125.5 KB
    buddhawake likes this.

24h

Not a Vostok movement, but this video shows the problem that might require a shim to fix.
    In this case, the watchmaker scarred the mainplate like Odessa described.

I assume that without a shim, it can decrease amplitude or in the worst case stop the movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdHPIWbo518

My YouTube Channel for watch modding and I​nstagram for (mostly) Russian watches

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I once forgot to install the shim when re-assembling a 2414 and the balance locked completely. I couldn't understand the problem until I discovered that I had not installed the shim. The balance rotated very freely after the shim was installed.

It is certainly not uncommon for the hairspring of the 24xx to oscillate in an excessively non-concentric or off-centre manner.
    24h likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Odessa200 View Post
    Obviously each case is somewhat unique and a careful examination is needed.
    Yes, indeed; hence my questions about what exactly was meant. The questions may have appeared dumb, but IMHO they weren't and they served a purpose.
    Just adding a shim may perhaps "solve" / "alleviate" the problem, but it may introduce a whole host of other problems too.
    I was trying to avoid that others didn't halfway jumped to conclusions and that they understood there was more to the problem.

One needs to find the exact problem and try to rectify it. I'm afraid that even a more experience watch-repairer can't do much more from a distance. The watch needs to be under his/her eye-loupe

Anyway; thanks for the brain-storm session and nice meeting you
    BTW; I will take your advice and read some more books ...... they can never harm in an ever ongoing learning curve, down the watch rabbit hole

@buddhawake; sorry for the more in-depth discussion. Unfortunately that didn't cure your watch either .......
    Last edited by EndeavourDK; June 11th, 2019 at 12:46.

Quote Originally Posted by EndeavourDK View Post
    Yes, indeed; hence my questions about what exactly was meant. The questions may have appeared dumb, but IMHO they weren't and they served a purpose.
    Just adding a shim may perhaps "solve" / "alleviate" the problem, but it may introduce a whole host of other problems too.
    I was trying to avoid that others didn't halfway jumped to conclusions and that they understood there was more to the problem.

One needs to find the exact problem and try to rectify it. I'm afraid that even a more experience watch-repairer can't do much more from a distance. The watch needs to be under his/her eye-loupe

Anyway; thanks for the brain-storm session and nice meeting you
    BTW; I will take your advice and read some more books ...... they can never harm in an ever ongoing learning curve, down the watch rabbit hole

@buddhawake; sorry for the more in-depth discussion. Unfortunately that didn't cure your watch either .......
    Not at all. The total opposite, I'm glad my question and novice ignorance was able to get this many replies and such in-depth discussion. With pictures and videos even. I think/hope that this might be able to help others in the future. I was never going to open the watch and look in there, but it was more a thing of curiosity and to know if it was a grave problem. Is actually very reaffirming that it somewhat common.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread Information